Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon,
I have a 18 plate sportage which came with the basic radio and cd player. I want to upgrade this to a touch screen with apple car play, sat nav and reversing camera. Can you please advise if this is possible, have you done it and which model of system did you use and roughly how much please.
Thanks
Lucy

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
354 Posts
Good Afternoon,
I have a 18 plate sportage which came with the basic radio and cd player. I want to upgrade this to a touch screen with apple car play, sat nav and reversing camera. Can you please advise if this is possible, have you done it and which model of system did you use and roughly how much please.
Thanks
Lucy
My father in law got a unit from amazon which was designed to fit perfectly into his 2014 sportage. It was a Chinese unit which is android based. Has sat nav. Reversing camera etc. I'll be honest, it's OK but it takes a while to fire up, the reversing camera needs hard wiring to the revering light so it means cutting wires etc. It connects via Bluetooth but no apple car play etc. You can connect your phone via USB and mirror the screen but it's not perfect. Not sure how you update its sat nav it has igo maps. It disables your cars usb for connecting to the stereo so you have to wire in the new USB socket and have it hanging somewhere. The instructions are non existent. And for £200 a bit pricey for what it is.

My point being, I'd go for unit from say kenwood etc over any that are advertised like the one I mentioned above. You can get them from halfords etc with apple car play, but it'll have a fascia surround to make it snug. I'm not sure if you can fit an infotainment unit from a sportage. I'm sure I've seen a thread somewhere where someone has. But I think the dab and sat nav will need faffing with to get them to work.

·
Super Moderator
9,946 Posts
Hi & Welcome.

How much is, how much do you want to spend.. Double din units run from a couple of hundred all the way up.
You then have the cables & possible a fascia unit.
Will be cheaper if you can do it yourself, but that all depends on how confident you are working on car.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
522 Posts
That review from Yan101 is very consistent with every Chinese unit I have had the misfortune to come into contact with.
Not to mention that they also have (or used to have) a nasty reputation for catching fire!

As said, stick to well known brands - may cost more but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
354 Posts
I feel I need to comment that I added a cheap Chinese unit to my Pajero in 2016, it performed brilliantly and is still going strong to this day...
My dad has a very similar unit to that. About 50 quid on amazon. It does work well, however screen mirroring is terrible. It loses time occasionally when it feels like it. I just think you get what you pay for. If you know what you're buying they are ok for the money. Bluetooth for music is good, the radio works well but it does take an age to load up initially.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.