Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new here and was wondering if anyone has any suggested upgrades to improve the miles I get out of a tank of diesel on a 1.5L 58 Kia Rio.

I have alloys but I'm wondering if larger alloys and low profile tyes would make anydifferencedue to reduced weight?

I'm willing to replace just about anything in the car to get better mpg (where it makesfinancialsense)

Any experience or suggestions?

·
Registered
234 Posts
If tyres need changing use low rolling resistance ones,loose weight,don't carry a full tank of fuel unless you need it,do what the manufacturer does chuck out the spare & carry gunk,also going to extreme throw out the rear seats too! (not sure if it's legal tho')

Edited by: Armac08

·
Registered
473 Posts
Armac08 said:
If tyres need changing use low rolling resistance ones,loose weight,don't carry a full tank of fuel unless you need it,do what the manufacturer does chuck out the spare & carry gunk,also going to extreme throw out the rear seats too! (not sure if it's legal tho') 
Don't forget the wife n passengers... Also saves you money if you have stopped for lunch too...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
How many miles a year are you doing Craig? going from 50 to 55 mpg would save me asignificant amount of cash.

Going to larger wheels generally means having a wider tread, so more rolling resistance. To improve mpg, you would have to go to narrower wheels. Changing the wheels too much may mean a higher insurance premium, so bare that in mind. Any changes you plan to make, you should discuss with your insurer, to make sure they're not going to screw you over.

Generally I would say:

Keep your tryes at the correct pressure
Change your air filter after 12,000 miles, not 24,000
You might consider a K&N air filter, but I didn't notice any difference with one and I was worried about how flimsy it seemed considering the crap I was getting pulled into the air filter box!
Make sure you use good quality oil of the right viscosity
You might consider changing the gearbox oil for something more fancy.
Make sure your wheels are aligned properly
Make sure your brakes are not dragging
Buy tyres with a good mpg rating

In terms of driving style, I once managed to get about 62 mpg by keeping the revs down, changing up as soon as you get to 2200 rpm and not exceeding 60 mph. You can also slip stream behind lorries, that's useful when you're low on fuel!

It's boring as hell though going everywhere at 60 mph for hour after hour!

You might consider getting something like a Scangauge to plug into the OBD port to tell you your fuel consumption. Some people have found it useful. I tried one, but apart from learning a few interesting things, it was a bit useless as far as fuel consumption went. The slightest touch on the accelerator would have a massive effect, so the gauge was constantly going from one extreme to the other. The fuel remaining was a bit of a pain too, as it would never callibrate properly.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Do some reading up on "hypermiling" its the art of achieving silly MPG results.

There were some guys on the Aygo forum a few years back that were desperatly trying to achieve 100MPG average from a tank in thier 1.4D Aygos (the PSA diesel engine not a toyota unit), and a few of them got really into it and very close i might add.

It involved some pretty determined driving style changes including but not limited to, seriously over inflating the tyres and driving whenever possible really close the back of trucks on the motorway to reduce air resistance, some were even Duck taping over and panel gaps and grillto benefit the cars slipperyness through the air, so basically some quite dangerous things and some quite silly things!

Apparently its a bit of a craze in the states which was started by prius drivers trying to get thier cars to run on electric only......

·
Registered
4 Posts
I drive from Liverpool to Glasgow ad back in my 1.5 rio diesel sport.Take it easy at 60mph and plan ahead.
Takes about 15 minutes longer than at 70mph
I get there more refreshed
Good sounds on the CD player
I get 54.9 on theway up and 58.0 on the way down
Tyre pressures and unwanted weight are key elements, socheck the tyres and put the wife on a diet.
:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1.3 Kia Rio always drive in a reverend manner ,always check tyre pressures and the car is always well maintained and it hard to achive above 40mpg on a 05 plate car. I put this down to petrol companys lowering octane ratings on fuel from 95-93? a question of pay more get less!.
I think fuel consumption on a 1.5 rio should be better than a 1.3 as Rio big body little engine?,works harder. Kias are brilliant cars,my little picanto I can get 50mpg on 93 octane fuel and 58 mpg on 95 octane

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think the little 1.3 petrol could do with a 6th gear as the revs are pretty high at crusing speed. Will easily chug along nicelyin 5th at 30 mph or less though!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Some fuels like Shell claim to provide higher mpg by providing a richer better quality fuel.
I can certainly say that the 1.4 petrol runs a lot better on Esso than the Morrisons petrol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts