Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just thought I would post how I updated the Sat Nav Software for my partners Kia Picanto 2016 1.25 Sport. The web site is a little confusing so here is a rough/quick summary of what I did and I hope it might save others time -

1. I initially didn't realise this Sat Nav / Display had an SD Card slot and actually seems to load from that card on start up. I wasted a good few hours downloading the software to a USB stick but it doesn't read from that device and gave me an error "no media files found" - so I guess the usb slot is for music etc.

2. So having downloaded the "Navigation Updater Software" from Navigation Updater | Official Kia Motors Navigation Update Website , I then launched it and selected the MY11 version software which I believe is the Standard Gen 2 one and compatible with the 2016 Picanto Sport 1.25

3. Having downloaded the update to my laptop desktop, i opened the MY11 folder and copied all the files within the folder to an SD Card. The website is confusing with regards to the 32GB limit. I used a 64GB one which was already formatted as exFAT32 I think and copied the files from the laptop to that.

4. Once I Inserted the SD Card into the Sat Nav / Console (engine running and stop start disabled at this point) it booted up and presented me with the upgrade options. I just said yes to all that and it took about 25 mins to update.

5. For anyone like me who couldn't find the sd cardslot, it's above the screen - looks like a little sliding button and says something like S Maps on it. Gently prise it toward you and it reveals the slot.

Hope this helps. Cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It confused me as it doesn't work using a USB stick and I never realised there was an SD card until after the USB method failed. The website also says that the capacity should not exceed 32GB and thats only applicable if using their software to format the card or stick. Anyway, just thought it might be of some use to other novice's. If it's not of any value then thats fine. Thanks for the welcome by the way. Cheers.

Registered
Hi welcome no thats good info i have a 2016 chilli the 2 door version of the sport ,not tech minded so made a good read , whats the pluses with the update is it worth going for cheers .

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Our maps were a few years out of date so some the new roads were completely missing for the system. The update now includes those and any other new roads bbuitl in the past 6 months or so. For people that just drive local or stay rural then it's maybe not worth the bother but for anyone that ventures out a bit then it's probably wise to update it. Cheers.

Registered
GT Line S HEV 226bhp (AWD) White with Black roof, ordered 17th May 2022, ETA 6-9 months
Hi all, just thought I would post how I updated the Sat Nav Software for my partners Kia Picanto 2016 1.25 Sport. The web site is a little confusing so here is a rough/quick summary of what I did and I hope it might save others time -

1. I initially didn't realise this Sat Nav / Display had an SD Card slot and actually seems to load from that card on start up. I wasted a good few hours downloading the software to a USB stick but it doesn't read from that device and gave me an error "no media files found" - so I guess the usb slot is for music etc.

2. So having downloaded the "Navigation Updater Software" from Navigation Updater | Official Kia Motors Navigation Update Website , I then launched it and selected the MY11 version software which I believe is the Standard Gen 2 one and compatible with the 2016 Picanto Sport 1.25

3. Having downloaded the update to my laptop desktop, i opened the MY11 folder and copied all the files within the folder to an SD Card. The website is confusing with regards to the 32GB limit. I used a 64GB one which was already formatted as exFAT32 I think and copied the files from the laptop to that.

4. Once I Inserted the SD Card into the Sat Nav / Console (engine running and stop start disabled at this point) it booted up and presented me with the upgrade options. I just said yes to all that and it took about 25 mins to update.

5. For anyone like me who couldn't find the sd cardslot, it's above the screen - looks like a little sliding button and says something like S Maps on it. Gently prise it toward you and it reveals the slot.

Hope this helps. Cheers
Thanks for this...I tried using a USB stick and it kept telling me there was no media on it, so thanks for clarifying the process! They mention on the instructions that you need to rebootafter inserting the SD card. Is that automatic? If not, where do i find the reboot option?
Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Terrestrial plant

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for this...I tried using a USB stick and it kept telling me there was no media on it, so thanks for clarifying the process! They mention on the instructions that you need to rebootafter inserting the SD card. Is that automatic? If not, where do i find the reboot option? View attachment 15956
Hi, from memory, it boots up from the sd card and reboots itself. From the picture above that you posted, I would click upgrade and it will probably complete the upgrade and possibly reboot t the end. Sorry it's been a while since I did it. But getting to the point you are at now was the trickiest bit. Good luck.

Registered
GT Line S HEV 226bhp (AWD) White with Black roof, ordered 17th May 2022, ETA 6-9 months
Hi, from memory, it boots up from the sd card and reboots itself. From the picture above that you posted, I would click upgrade and it will probably complete the upgrade and possibly reboot t the end. Sorry it's been a while since I did it. But getting to the point you are at now was the trickiest bit. Good luck.
I used an SD Card and it did all of the rebooting etc without any issues. Despite mentioning a USB, it is an SD card that is required. It actually only took about ten minutes to complete the installation

Reactions: Jollybeggar
1 - 10 of 10 Posts