Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Optima SW GT-Line S 2017
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I last had my Optima system software updated (Gen 5 Compact I believe) in 2018 (see attached photo).

Other than more up to date satnav maps, is there any particular features added that would warrant performing an update?

I noticed from the forum threads elsewhere that the latest software has issues with speed limits showing as ---, so I'm happy to wait for that to be fixed.

Cheers.

Attachments

Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
I have the same system and updated from the same version as yours and now have the (---) issue. The new navigation system is much better in my opinion, plus it updates the media player as well.
But to answer your question, I would probably wait until the next update which should sort the speed camera issues.

Registered
Optima SW GT-Line S 2017
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the replies. Interesting to hear the navigation system has been given an overhaul. I'll wait for a fixed version to be released.

One more question - when I do the update, is it ok for me to use the 32GB Kia SD Card that came with the car? I wouldn't want to use and then find I'd overwritten something vital!

Registered
is it ok for me to use the 32GB Kia SD Card that came with the car?
I agree with the sage advice in posts #2 & 3. As for the size of SD card required, 32 Gb seems sufficient to support the problematic November 2021 update. Unless the next update should specify a larger card which I doubt, then the 32Gb card you have currently will suffice.

The newer maps are an improvement but equally, Apple Maps, Google and Waze are also better than previous versions.

I'm happy to await a further update.

Super Moderator
If you are going to use the SD card out of the car. Then back it up to your computer 1st. That way should something happen with the update not working. You still have the original mapping.

But given the cost of a decent 32 gig class 10 card it's worth having a spare.

Registered
Optima SW GT-Line S 2017
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I was intrigued to see the what the latest update offered, so bit the bullet and just did the update. The big change is to the SatNav (I last updated 2018), which seems quite decent. Other than that it doesn't look like much else has changed, but if anyone knows of anything else please let me know. As others have noted the speed limit is showing ---, but I can live with that.

Registered
Optima SW GT-Line S 2017
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just took the car out and had my first proper trial of the update. I like the new zoomed in view that pops up on the right when at a roundabout etc. The speed limit signs was working fine also (although this was just a short local run).

Also noticed a few nice UI tweaks, but the greatest addition has to be the new Sounds of Nature feature... not sure why I'd want the car to sound like a crackling fireplace or snowy tundra, but there you go.

Registered
Kia Optima 3 1.7CRDi (18 Plate)
Just took the car out and had my first proper trial of the update. I like the new zoomed in view that pops up on the right when at a roundabout etc. The speed limit signs was working fine also (although this was just a short local run).

Also noticed a few nice UI tweaks, but the greatest addition has to be the new Sounds of Nature feature... not sure why I'd want the car to sound like a crackling fireplace or snowy tundra, but there you go.
I updated mine just after getting the car in November, not really using it cant comment on changes but mine doesn't seem to read national speed limit signs, I just get the red circle with --- in the centre.

Registered
Optima SW GT-Line S 2017
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went out on a longer drive yesterday and for most of the drive I got '---'. Worse, I've also noticed it can sometimes give the wrong speed limit (e.g. 50 in a 30 zone). One feature that could get you into trouble is the current speed display on the satnav consistently shows around 5 mph lower than that on the speedometer. I assume this is calculated based on GPS tracking. Possibly this is actually more accurate than the speedometer itself, although that seems implausible.

Registered
Possibly this is actually more accurate than the speedometer itself, although that seems implausible.
GPS recording of speed is generally regarded as pretty accurate, certainly an improvement on the speedometer fitted in road going vehicles which invariably overstates true speed, probably in order to protect manufacturers from potential litigation in speed-related incidents.

Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
Unless the different version take feed differently.
Using Kia navigation is reading the same as dash. But switch to Android Auto & Waze does how GPS speed. Constant 3 mph lower.
Not on mine. Dash and Navigation are showing different speeds.
GPS more accurate AFAIK

Registered
Well, I was intrigued to see the what the latest update offered, so bit the bullet and just did the update. The big change is to the SatNav (I last updated 2018), which seems quite decent. Other than that it doesn't look like much else has changed, but if anyone knows of anything else please let me know. As others have noted the speed limit is showing ---, but I can live with that.
I updated my satnav end of March last year but my garage couldn't be bothered to tell me that there would be an update in April so they just uploaded the 2020 version which I wasn't pleased about.

Has that version been changed again as I found the satnav colours (greyish) worse than the previous version that came with the car I assume in 2017 ( I purchased the car in 2018 )

My latest version doesn't show long roadworks that have been ongoing now for at least a couple of months on the M180 west of Scunthorpe plus doesn't show exits that are blocked off.

Also with this Government despite promising after Brexit to make it's own laws is going to follow new EU rules on speed limiters on new cars from this year.

Now I don't know what type of cameras and software these new cars will have but I sincerely hope they don't rely on the speed recognition cameras like on my 2017 GT Line S as they are pretty useless at times. Just today going through the long roadworks on the M180 at night we past the end of 50 mph limit with the usual white circle with black diagonal line and the camera didn't pick it up and still showed the speed should be 50mph. It wasn't until a couple of miles later it just decided to show the speed limit as 70mph.

Super Moderator
Live routing is supplied by Tom Tom & will only update if you either have Kia connect or a WiFi connection to the head unit from your phone.
Which is the only way road works will show. They are not part of any map updates.

As to if the maps have been updated again only you will know. There are no OTA map updates for KIA's. at the moment. So either the dealer has updated it (most charge) or you have used the Kia update site to do it yourself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts