Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all I own Kia Sportage 2016 and i am proud off.
I wish to update my car software because i never did it. One so i can have new navigation maps of all Europe and to change mu odometer from miles to kilometres.can some guide me and tell me what to do. Thanks

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
74 Posts
I believe the audio and maps is only updated by Kia?
They did mine.....
Pretty sure the normal rate is £40-£70

·
Super Moderator
4,217 Posts
Odometer change will be in the settings on the dash display.

Maps, either local dealer or try below link if your country/region is avaiable (y)

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Odometer change will be in the settings on the dash display.

Maps, either local dealer or try below link if your country/region is avaiable (y)

I have my 18-plate Niro booked in for service shortly, with the maps and any software to be updated. The cost quoted by my dealer is £25 for the update, but it wil be done within the service booking

·
Registered
2019 Carens 3 & 2019 Picanto 3
1 Posts
Booked my Carens in for service in March - convinced dealer to include software update in the price. Hendy Tunbridge Wells.

·
Super Moderator
4,217 Posts
Folks note the OP's flag... They are not in the UK. I'll hazard a guess that it's Malta.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, would someone be able to explain the process of map software updating please as I'm not sure if I'm being fobbed off by the dealer (Furrows, Shrewsbury). I took my Jan 20 Picanto X Line S in for it's first service and asked for a map update as the software is not the latest as per a post by KCS. Dealer said there would be a£40 charge but I suggested there is no charge during it's warranty period and they relented but said it would take 2 hours! I also have a Hyundai i30N and said that Hyundai do map updates in 15/20 mins on exactly the same system, anyway I said I'd wait. The car was serviced but was told that the sat nav couldn't be updated as they "didn't have" the latest software and as it doesn't have a SD card (I admit my Hyundai does) it wasn't that simple. On asking when the software would be available I was informed "about Spring". Not being totally aux fait with this system I had no choice but to except what they said. Does this sound right or am I being fed BS? I seem to think if I had handed over £40 extra then it would have been sorted no problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,408 Posts
Hi all, would someone be able to explain the process of map software updating please as I'm not sure if I'm being fobbed off by the dealer (Furrows, Shrewsbury). I took my Jan 20 Picanto X Line S in for it's first service and asked for a map update as the software is not the latest as per a post by KCS. Dealer said there would be a£40 charge but I suggested there is no charge during it's warranty period and they relented but said it would take 2 hours! I also have a Hyundai i30N and said that Hyundai do map updates in 15/20 mins on exactly the same system, anyway I said I'd wait. The car was serviced but was told that the sat nav couldn't be updated as they "didn't have" the latest software and as it doesn't have a SD card (I admit my Hyundai does) it wasn't that simple. On asking when the software would be available I was informed "about Spring". Not being totally aux fait with this system I had no choice but to except what they said. Does this sound right or am I being fed BS? I seem to think if I had handed over £40 extra then it would have been sorted no problem. Thanks.
I can;t give a full answer as all my experiences have been with Sportage's (which have SD cards), but hopefully I can enlighten you on some aspects.
Firstly the map/software updates are free during the 7 year warranty, the fee is for the dealers time.
On my first Sportage they did a service on the morning and started the update on the afternoon. They rang me a tea time to advise me the update hadn't finished and they needed to keep the car over night. When I picked the car up they told me it had completed just after 7 o'clock the previous evening. I asked why so long I was told they had to download the software to their computer, which took a considerable amount of time, before they could load it onto my SD card. The update is in two parts, software first and then maps. On my second update it was two hours, but they already had the update package on their system. Be aware the updates are model and head unit specific, so I guess the garage will only do download when they need to.
The "spring" thing confused me, I suspect they were talking at cross purposes. The current software is 2020 and was released last September, however the updates are usually released the second quarter (April - June) of each year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Many thanks mr.macspot, sounds like there was enough in what they were saying to be believable. It's not a major issue so I'll sit tight and give them a call in a few weeks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I also use Furrows of Shrewsbury and I have been less than impressed with their knowledge or abilities with software updates. When I, amongst others, lost sound on the audio I sent them a video of the problem and the reset button, told them I needed software version 200720 to fix it and made an appointment. Took the car in on the due date, an hour and a half later they told me that it needed a software update and to make another appointment. Eventually it did get fixed,but like you I was left with the impression that I had been fobbed off... unfortunately my next nearest Kia dealer is in Chester so I guess I'm stuck with them. The Service Department certainly need to buck their ideas up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
626 Posts
Picanto X Line S has a SD Card behind the screen;)

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,408 Posts
Many thanks mr.macspot, sounds like there was enough in what they were saying to be believable. It's not a major issue so I'll sit tight and give them a call in a few weeks.
Possibly, but their "we don't have the latest software" is bu**sh*t. Like my dealers they have to download the software package from Kia's servers. They may have to do this for each model, but that is what they should be doing. I use my local dealer in Stockton and I can't fault them, its one of the reasons I bought my second Kia from them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmmm..seems like Furrows aren't the best but as you say Alanw47 there isn't a great joice. I lso found the SD card which they said it didn't have, so not impressed. Will get back on to them before too long. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Dealers are really hit or miss, some are just thick!
My dealer just does the update for free (if I remember to ask) one time they just gave me the SD cards to do myself because they were really busy.
But then again, I have now been a customer of theirs for the last 10 years.
I used to drive Peugeot but got absolutely sick & tired of my local dealers incompetence & BS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts