Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the mapping updated to EUR.14
I use AA and under EUR.13 could have split screen in AA as per below thread

This option appears to have disappeared in new update. Thus can not have the split screen..

Anyone else had this issue?

Software installed today.
Font Air travel Technology Electronic device Gadget

Registered
It's well hidden. Easiest way to find it is to use the search option (magnifying glass top left) in the Setup > General screen and search for the word "split". One of the options it shows is for Phone Projection > Settings and you'll find the option there.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's well hidden. Easiest way to find it is to use the search option (magnifying glass top left) in the Setup > General screen and search for the word "split". One of the options it shows is for Phone Projection > Settings and you'll find the option there.

Yea just found it...
Helps when your phone is not connected...
Wish they would stop moving stuff around... We going to have lots of old posts with out of date info.

Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT

This option appears to have disappeared in new update. Thus can not have the split screen..

View attachment 12060
Does this mean that you now have Full Screen AA?

I'm sure the answer is NO though 馃ぃ

Registered
2021 Soul EV FE

My experience is that with the split screen option the right hand third remains a useful part of the car's infotainment, so I can scroll up and down through handy screens like EV battery charge, the time, a navigation map, weather etc.
All that I get from deselecting split screen is that the right-hand third becomes a rather useless AA logo, the useful AA interface still just uses the same area in the left 2/3rds.
(This is on the Soul EV's 8" infotainment screen with the 2021 "purple" software)

Does anyone know whether the obstacle to getting fullscreen AA is the need for an Android update or a head-unit update to support it?

Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
Does anyone know whether the obstacle to getting fullscreen AA is the need for an Android update or a head-unit update to support it?
This is not unique to Kia and in my experience the car manufactures blame Android and Android blame the manufacturer, but the truth seems to be the way in which the car head unit treats AA as slowly but surely full screen is appearing and it has been suggested we will have it soon as well

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Well it depends on what you expect.

I do not want AA maps (or any other) full screen, I like the last 3rd to have other information showing. In my ca.se total MPG

Registered

View attachment 12060
So I've just taken delivery of a new 2022 Sportage (HEV GT Line S AWD) and...AA is still not full screen. Just spoke to my dealer and they said the Apple Car Play is, which was obviously not very useful!

Would like to see if full screen and also wireless Android Auto would have been nice. As others have said, need to wait for OTA update to hopefully get full screen capability. First world 'problems' eh?

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I've just taken delivery of a new 2022 Sportage (HEV GT Line S AWD) and...AA is still not full screen. Just spoke to my dealer and they said the Apple Car Play is, which was obviously not very useful!

Would like to see if full screen and also wireless Android Auto would have been nice. As others have said, need to wait for OTA update to hopefully get full screen capability. First world 'problems' eh?
We will never get Wireless AA or ACP on the Gen5W Kia ruled that one out last year. Despite previously saying that a software update would allow it.

Not sure where the problem is with full screen AA?

Registered
2021 Soul EV FE
We will never get Wireless AA or ACP on the Gen5W Kia ruled that one out last year. Despite previously saying that a software update would allow it.

Not sure where the problem is with full screen AA?
I think I recall that the Gen5 only does 2.4GHz WiFi, not 5GHz WiFi and there isn't enough bandwidth on 2.4 to support the AA/ACP.
That's a gross simplification, because the bandwidth depends on antennas, radio channels, 'g' or 'n' etc.
Because it is just an "embedded system", designed to be a client to a mobile phone hot-spot which is sharing mobile data..... it isn't exactly going to be state of the art.
I think we would find cars that do do wireless AA/ACP have 5GHz WiFi - I stand ready to be corrected!

Reactions: mr.macspot

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gen5W does do 5GHz, Kia confirmed this to me. Which is why we were told a software update would give the feature.

Any of the lower trim with no navigation installed on head unit get Wireless. Certainly from last year.

About 4 mins in. I know this is a Canadian site, but even the dealer was shocked to find out.. And people think dealers lie to them... 馃う鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
2021 Soul EV FE
Gen5W does do 5GHz, Kia confirmed this to me. Which is why we were told a software update would give the feature.
I am corrected :)

• Haha
Reactions: iooi

Registered
2021 Soul EV FE
I have another (correctable) theory.

From "Peter at Brantford Kia's" Youtube report that the 10+" screens are not going to get wireless AA/ACP, but smaller screens will, I would wounder if the reason is that the the screen raster size has just become too big for the available/reliable bandwidth (too many pixels to move)?

Registered
2021 Soul EV FE
Who knows, but the WiFi adaptors you can get cope?
I wonder if you looked at the small print on the adaptors they would say that they were for "indoor" use?
While we might be lucky with what we use on-the-road, the car manufacturers may have more loops to go through to get approval for use in their intended fashion. - I'm guessing at potential problems, not saying it is so.
There are some issues with use of 5GHz "outdoors" because of other use of some of the frequencies. I'm not sure whether a moving car would be considered outdoor or indoor. It is certainly a moving station, so one moment you could be in a urban street with no important effects, or the open countryside with no effects, or just driving past a place where a radar or similar equipment is using that frequency. 5GHz base stations are supposed to do some sort of receive before transmit in order to establish that there isn't certain types of priority traffic on that frequency... it's a whole area that I know could be quite complicated, but might not be for certain frequencies or low powers. I just know "there be dragons".
Quite good summary (for as much as you can summarise something quite complicated) WiFi 5GHz band and wide channels - Metis.fi
Wikipedia has some more

I'm personally not too bothered. Because the HUD on the Soul FE integrates with the inbuilt nav, but not AA I'm more likely to use the built-in nav. I'm only looking at this as a bystander!
Once you use Android Auto or ACP you are running active and quite busy WiFi from the phone, constantly updating the car's screen, it's not just doing the minimum polling for notifications - so I would expect phone projection of the navigation screen to be quite a battery-sapping activity.... that tends to mean that you need to charge it. Maybe that can be done wirelessly too, but not all phones, so you end up needing to plug in for power anyway (well I would). At that point the whole wireless AA becomes a bit pointless. If there is a passenger with me I find Google navigation can be useful for a second opinion and the passenger is a convenient interface for music or podcast control (R4 comedy, a chance to catch up on "Just a Minute")
The "carbon-based-unit" next to me is still a better interface than Kia's voice recognition ;-)

Reactions: Radiorail

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the adaptors are only working short range. As they are plugged into the USB port, as you would you phone. But they then connect to phone.

Biggest drawback to me is the cost over functionality. Given trips of any length will require phone to be on charging pad to be of any use.
OK for local trips you could leave phone in your pocket. But that then means I'm sitting on my phone, with the added disadvantage of that area not getting any heat from the heated seat 馃ぃ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts