Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Many of you are probably suffering with that issue where the Niro loses the cars position as soon as night mode becomes active on the SatNav.
Anyway, I've been chasing KIA about this for some time and I finally have a response from KIA who have confirmed the issue is real and they are looking into it.

Here's there response on Twitter:
Font Darkness Terrestrial plant Brand History

When I get more information, I'll post it here.

·
Super Moderator
10,484 Posts
What if you turn night mode off?
I think what OP is referring to is when sensor picks up it is dark. Not the actual "Dark Mode" you can set on the display.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think what OP is referring to is when sensor picks up it is dark. Not the actual "Dark Mode" you can set on the display.
Yes that's correct. Turning off night mode itself does not fix the issue. As soon as the sensor detects it's dark, it begins to mess up.
Other users have tested this by covering the sensor in the middle of the day and finding the navigation become unreliable within a few minutes.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The issue on my wife's car ended up being a bent pin on the instrument cluster. I'd be asking your service dept to check for the same on your car.

Reactions: mojiwa

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's outrageous that Kia can get away with this. A car with inbuilt satnav that doesn't work after dark is a broken car and you should be able to take it back to the dealer for a refund. It works fine on mine (I haven't updated the software since November) so we all know it can work. 'Complex elector magnetic issue'! Rubbish! Duff software developers and a lack in interest in the customer, more like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's outrageous that Kia can get away with this. A car with inbuilt satnav that doesn't work after dark is a broken car and you should be able to take it back to the dealer for a refund. It works fine on mine (I haven't updated the software since November) so we all know it can work. 'Complex elector magnetic issue'! Rubbish! Duff software developers and a lack in interest in the customer, more like.
I agree. It shouldn't be acceptable... But funnily enough there's a lot of people suffering the same issue, so I can only assume it's a particular batch that was manufactured with a fault... Which leads me to think it's a hardware issue. But let's see

·
Super Moderator
10,484 Posts
It's not ALL cars. It is only a few. Very painful for the owners & has nothing to do with any updates.

People have had new head units, GPS antenna & wiring replaced & still have the issue.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It's not ALL cars. It is only a few. Very painful for the owners & has nothing to do with any updates.

People have had new head units, GPS antenna & wiring replaced & still have the issue.
As I've said, the issue was traced to bent pins on the cluster. We also had everything swapped out and it took 3 months to get to that decision. The only was you will tell is by carefully looking at the pins on the connector.

• Love
Reactions: iooi

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi guys, I just bought a Kia Niro PHEV in Australia and it has the same problem. As it gets dark the Nav system is suddenly approx 1/2 mile out causing all sorts of warnings about doing U turns, take the next left, whatever.
I am about to report it and expecting to get the brush-off, so I am thankful for this discussion that proves it is a real issue.
Cheers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just a thought, if it was a "complex electro magnetic issue" then wouldn't it reverse in the Southern Hemisphere and work at night but not during the day?

The dealer that I reported the fault to has not come across it before, and it isn't listed in any of the Kia service bulletins for Australia.

I haven't looked yet, but is the light detector easy to locate?

·
Registered
Kia Soul sport
670 Posts
QUOTE. The dealer that I reported the fault to has not come across it before, and it isn't listed in any of the Kia service bulletins for Australia.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣If I had a pound sorry dollar for every time I’d read that comment I’d be a millionaire ……try this if a dealers lips are moving they are lying ( not all dealers😇)

Dealers are the same everywhere it appears

·
Super Moderator
10,484 Posts
Just a thought, if it was a "complex electro magnetic issue" then wouldn't it reverse in the Southern Hemisphere and work at night but not during the day?

The dealer that I reported the fault to has not come across it before, and it isn't listed in any of the Kia service bulletins for Australia.

I haven't looked yet, but is the light detector easy to locate?
Light detector is on dash just behind windscreen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There have been no problems since.

I have tried driving at night.
I have tried driving with the sensor covered - the dash goes to night mode.
I have tried blocking the sensor while driving, but nothing so far has caused the problem to re-occur.
Frustrating!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just had the problem yesterday at 5:23pm exactly as the system switched to night mode. It suddenly started to say I needed to do a U turn when I was about 50 metres from home. The car is booked in to have this looked at, will probably mean leaving over night and still not getting a result. We had been on the road for over an hour. I don't know if that would be a factor though.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Folks, get your service centre to check the cluster. This was traced down to a bent pins and a chip issue in the instrument cluster on my wife's car. Unless they are intending flashing the offending chip then that is the issue. Swapping the cluster between two MY22 Niro PHEVs showed the issue was in the cluster, and likely to be a defect in a certain run of them.

This will not be fixed using software...

·
Registered
541 Posts
I agree. It shouldn't be acceptable... But funnily enough there's a lot of people suffering the same issue, so I can only assume it's a particular batch that was manufactured with a fault... Which leads me to think it's a hardware issue. But let's see
It is a hardware issue, is any affected car not manufactured last summer?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts