Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning...
I guess that a few would welcome a 'Lock-In', but perhaps not this type.

A work colleague recently picked up a Venga as his company car.
Yesterday morning, (it was below 0°C) he unlocked it, put the key in the ignition and attempted to start the car.
There was a 'click' and everything went 'dead'. No dash, no electric anything but most worryingly, the doors locked.
I received a call at work from him (from his mobile) telling me that he would be late as he was LOCKED IN THE CAR and couldn't get out - couldn't do anything actually apart from call the AA. They later arrived and freed him.

Looks as if the battery was low and the cold night exacerbated the problem, but locking the car and then unable to get out is surely a hazard.
Has anybody else experienced this and if so, is there a manual override that we should know about..? Any information would be of help.....

Best regards, RickS37 (newbie..!)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Welcome to the forum, 'RickS37'.

Blimey! That's a most unusual circumstance and I shall be interested to hear if anyone has a simple exit remedy.

I imagine that the only mechanical link is the bonnet catch which would allow someone on the end of a telephone to come along and attach 12v to the battery terminals - not much cop if the incarcerated occupant doesn't have a phone though!

Whether or not it's possible to access the boot opening mechanism or sunroof, if fitted, I really don't know but extreme violence/vandalism might render it possible to exit the car but in an undignified manner (not that any trapped person is likely to care), with expensive repair bills shortly afterwards.

While fit and agile, young people may be able to smash their way out, older people may well be incapable of breaking out so I look forward to suggestions.

Perhaps all carmakers really need to look at this issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did discuss this when he eventually arrived at work, and all he could think he could do was to 'break-out' somehow. I wouldn't fancy that either.
Now, I don't know this make or model at all but I am sure that there must be a solution - somewhere.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Well he could have escaped via the rear hatch/boot.
It would mean climbing into the back seat and then lifting the luggage cover to access the rear seat back catch on one side. This would allow the seat back to be folded down forwards after which it can be sat/layed upon and the other side also similarly released and folded if necessary. Then the tailgate can be opened by means of the small emergency release lever immediately above the boot latching bar in the centre of the boot sill. The catch may ne hidden behind a small cover plate, which will easily be removed, (earlier models with a key or blade). The release lever is a small zinc plated strip about 40mm long and having the top left pert bent towards you to form a suitable pressing place somewhat easier upon the finger than just the edge of the lever.

VengaTailgateReleseCover.jpg
IMG_20200122_110409.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that @rpaco .... We hoped as much.
There's plenty of reasons why this might be impractical but it would have provided a suitable resolution in this particular scenario. I have passed your observations on to him for future reference.

Coming from a racing background, extrication is mightily important..!

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
Always handy to carry a small hammer in car. Just in case you are involved in a accident and need a quick exit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bizarre thing is that this was the first morning my colleague had driven the car (true) and the garage personnel who delivered the car, neglected to supply a suitable hammer..!!! ( @iooi humour - yes, offence - no..!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts