Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just discovered this forum via Google. We purchased a 2004 Sorento in August of last year with 63,500 miles on the clock and the benefit (or so we thought!) of a 12 month third party warranty. A few days ago, the driveshaft came loose as a result of universal joint failure on the near side. I have been informed by the warranty company that this is normal wear and tear "associated with the age, usage and mileage" of the vehicle. The car has done 71,500 miles now, has FSH and has only been used for normal road use. There was no warning or indication of the failure in advance. Should something like this happen on a car of this age and be normal wear and tear? Is this a common occurrence. The technician at the dealership said he had only seen three or four cases but unfortunately the dealership won't put anything in writing that I can produce to challenge the warranty company.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, Thanks for the replies and the support

The insurance policy was included with the car purchase and is from Global Insurance Management which is underwritten by AXA. It is a Platinum policy which I believe is supposed to be the top of the range one offered. The insurance company are writing to me to confirm their decision and to advise me of their complaints procedure as I have informed them I disagree with their decision and wish to take matters further.

The claims representative I spoke to told me that failed universal joints are very common and he had seen hundreds of cases. This disagrees with both the RAC technician who told us he had never seen anything like it on a Sorento and the service technician at thelocal Kia dealership who told me he had seen only 3 or 4 cases in 8 years.

I'm not sure that Global Insurance Management sell to the general public. I think they provide warranties to the motor trade only.

I have asked the dealership we purchased from for their comments and they have been a lot more silent than they were when selling the car. I called them before initiating the claim and was promised a call back which didn't happen. I then emailed them two days ago and have not yet had a reply. This conflicts with the attitude of the salesman who told us if anything went wrong and we needed to claim to call him first and he would help us to sort things out. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep Steve. Get as much ammunition together whilst your waiting. Trawl thru all the Kia forums and see how many people are members and how many have had this problem. The more evidence to the contrary you can get the better.
Good luck pal and keep us informed on how it's going.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You say full service history, was it done by a main dealer? these props require greasing at service, unfortunately alot of people don't do it, causing problems like this!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Received formal letter declining claim on Thursday and advising me to contact Axa direct if I disagree. Email sent that evening to the address supplied. They now have 8 weeks (!) to reply and then I can take it to the Financial Ombudsman. If neither of those options work, I will then seriously consider the small claims court.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update - nothing. Emailed AXA over a week ago also requesting that they acknowledge email. Heard nothing back. The dealer from whom we bought the car have been in touch, it took a while but they have put it in writing that this kind of failure isn't common, is definitely not due to wear and tear and that they've only experienced two occurrences of it in the Sorento's history.

I faxed copies of my emails, the dealer's comments, the RAC's comments and a further covering letter to AXA today again asking for acknowledgement of receipt and stating my intention to take matters further. Nothing back.

At the very least this is poor customer service as they could drop me a quick email saying they're looking into matters and will get back to me. All this does is just reinforces my intention to never use AXA in the future and advise everybody I know to do so accordingly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts