Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning All. I'm a newbie to the forum. I'm just looking round to see if I can get any hints and tips on why my 5 year old Sedona is draining my soul.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try to keep it short but.......It's an 06 plate 2.9 diesel and I got itfrom new although it was a demo model.First off after a few months it would have occasions of not starting. You'd put the key in but the car was totally dead. After having it recovered back to the dealer half a dozen times and them having it for weeks at a time they informed me that the problem was "with a fuse box that we didn't know existed" That sorted, except for telling me I had no spare wheel because one of their grease monkeys had driven it the wrong way over no entry flaps and blown out the tyre and they had forgotten to replace it.I then started getting the EML come on if you did anything more than the most gentle excellerating. They told me it was some sort of valve and that wassorted too......or at least I thought. Then I had trouble with a seat belt........which they fixed. And then they went bust. It was at this point I noticed that they had wrecked the plastic backing of the seat while they had been fixing the seat belt.Then I started to get the EML light back on when excellerating so I took it to another dealer who told me as the car was a month out of warranty and the other dealer had gone bust, any work would be chargeable even though it was an existing problem. So i left it and took to driving the car like an old lady.
Then on the way back from Cornwall a few months ago the engine started making a really odd noise. I stopped in the services and called the AA. They saidthere was something wrong with the cam and recovered my wife, 4 kids and me home. I've had a mechanic look at it and tell me the turbo is knackered and also for some reason there is low oil pressure. Initially he thought it might be a piston ring gone. This car is a real lemon and is now sitting on my drive until I can raise 2 grand to have it fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Presumably they didn't have the long warranty they do now in '06 when you bought it.
I am sorry to hear about all the problems you have faced. I feel for you as Iwas ina very similar situation with our Ford Focus which brokedown out of warranty
.The engine light cameon on the motorway and so we followed the instructions and drove slowly without accelerating hard, but it was no good. Brokedown and was towed back by the AA. It turned out it was a valve in cylinder 3 that we knackered. Was expensive getting to the problem so decided to get all 16 valves replaced while they were in there - cost us £1,400.

Thought that solved the problem, but no! The increased pressure blew the piston oil rings and was going to cost a further £2k to fix.

Rather than spending £2k fixing it we sold it too the garagefor a bit knocked off the £1,400 bill and then put the £2kdown as a deposit on a new Cee'd 2 Ecodynamics with the 7 year warranty

Sorry, I knowit's not the reply you probably want to hear, but sometimes you just have to know when you're beat and cut your losses. Ask yourself, how much more will the car will be worth, than the£2k + whateverelse youhave paid outafter you fix it? Cars are not an investment!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dunno what a 5 year old Sedona (new shape) is worth. The customer support has been useless. Just don't know how a 5 year old car can have that sort of problem?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I know you might feel down my friend. But my 05 plate that I have just traded in, has over the last 3 yrs, cost me very nearly the full value of the car at the time I traded it in. Hense cutting my losses & trading it in for a new proceed 4. Personally I wouldnt pay more than £100 for every thousand the car is worth in labour and no more than £500 for every 5 thousand in parts..if you know what I mean. Anything more is an uneconomical repair. Eg... £5000 car.. Maximum £1000 repair bill. Else you run the risk of having no car when it breaks next... And no money for a new one.

My passat stood me at £2200 to be put through its MOT in december. Now I don't have to worry about high tax, MOT's & repairs for at least 3 yrs I hope. Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Doodlebug said:
Dunno what a 5 year old Sedona (new shape) is worth. The customer support has been useless. Just don't know how a 5 year old car can have that sort of problem?
Depending on what model of Sedona GS, LS or TS its part exchange value would be £3700 to £5000 and thats with 50k miles and in good condition.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
davy said:
Doodlebug said:
Depending on what model of Sedona GS, LS or TS its part exchange value would be £3700 to £5000 and thats with 50k miles and in good condition.
It's an LS. Still got 2 payments on it until I've paid off the finance. And it's got a couple of scratches on it but other than that it's mint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts