Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a UK KX3 and have upgraded the auto dim rear view mirror to one that includes Homelink (Bought from a US forum member who upgraded to have the digital compass).

I have posted what I did as a guide to others, once I had got my head around it and did a bit of searching on the net it's actually a very easy mod.

The instructions (available from the online Kia site) seem to be based on a (base ?) US car with no power already in the mirror area. They involve running a loom down to the fuse box and removing trim etc, this is not needed ...

The upgrade uses three wires (earth, ignition live and permanent live) but it works better if you use four.

The UK spec car already has three wires running to the standard mirror. At first I couldn't suss one of them out (solid red) as it was earthed with the key out and when on accessories (and it already had a earth - black) but it is actually a reverse light feed (that gives 12v) to shut down the dimming function at night for better vision

If you plug the new mirror into the existing wiring everything does as it should but the Homelink won't work. To make it work :

""¢ Look for the extra pin in the new mirror plug (compare to the old mirror).
""¢ Separate one of the wires from the loom supplied in the Kia kit (with a plug pin on one end a a t tap spade on the other).
""¢ Un-click the white clip on the (car side) wiring loom plug.
""¢ Fit the pin in the position that lines up with the extra mirror pin.
""¢ Clip the white clip back down.
""¢ Chop the t tap spade off the end (leave some spare wire on it).
""¢ This wire needs a positive feed to power the Homelink. Your choice if you have it permanent live or accessory live.
""¢ Remove the front interior light so you can see the hole in the headlining.
""¢ Feed the wire from the mirror plug up the front of the roof lining until you see it at the hole you have chosen and the pull the excess through.
""¢ Fit the t tap to your chosen feed.
""¢ Chop the power wire a suitable length.
""¢ Solder the t tap spade wire back on and heat shrink the joint.
""¢ Connect the t tap.
""¢ Refit all the standard covers / lights etc.
""¢ Have a beer.

That all might sound a bit confusing, but when you have the Kia instructions and all the bits in front of you, it's actually very easy to do, looks completely OE (no chopping of the OE loom) and can be 100% reversed if required

I won't bodge things or rush and I think if I did another one of these it would be a 15 min job to fit the mirror and all the wiring etc, 30 mins including getting out the tools and putting them away again.

Hope this helps someone in future.

WD

·
Registered
216 Posts
This all sounds well done and very interesting but whats it about?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Homelink allows you to control stuff around your home - garage doors, gates, security lights etc. The system is done by Johnson Controls and is popular in the states. Once you have the frequencies right and the mirror programmed, the mirror will control three individual items. You can just see the extra buttons here :

WD

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ha, right. Thats good, in the absence of any gates, doors etc will it turn the kettle on?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes

I have been posting on the USA forum to and had come to the conclusion it is gentex. It has their part numbers on the back and it looks like they make mirrors for most of the OE's that use homelink / auto dim etc

WD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts