Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to this group. I have a kia sportage 19plate and have only done 15000 miles and my two front tyres are bald can anyone help me thanks

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
You should swap fronts and rears aboyt ecery 6k miles as the fronts wear faster than the rears - it's in the manual. If they have never been swapped then this is about normal wear.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi im new to this group. I have a kia sportage 19plate and have only done 15000 miles and my two front tyres are bald can anyone help me thanks
Are they continental tyres as these do seem to wear quicker than other tyres due to softer compound I believe. Some people have said they only managed around 10k on a set.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I rotated mine every 6k and managed 23k out of them before I had to replace all 4

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't forget, It is a big heavy car.
If you want to make tyres last longer, start moving BEFORE you start turning the steering wheel.
and yes, rotate the wheels too and check your tyre pressures regularly.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
73 Posts
I was told at my 2019 t-gdi 4wd Sportage service last week that there was only about 2mm left on the front tyres and 5mm on the rears at 12000 miles. They didn't rotate the tyres/wheels and said that wasn't normally done anyway during service. I'll get some new tyres on later this year, but then they WILL be rotated around the car. Maybe the PO was a heavy driver, but I used to get over 50000 miles on a set of Hankooks on my Santa Fés, and that's a heavier car that got used for towing caravan or boat regularly. If used a bit 'enthusiastically', the Santa would slide slightly, but the Sportage never does, so current tyres are stickier, which means they'll wear quicker. Plus, the Sporty does handle better.
Interesting subject, what tyres will be used in future remains to be seen.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The Hankooks fitted from new on my 66 plate, front 27k miles, rear 51k miles. I have Davanti on all round now and from last MOT in Jan, front 4mm rear 6mm, 20k miles on them.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,291 Posts
I was told at my 2019 t-gdi 4wd Sportage service last week that there was only about 2mm left on the front tyres and 5mm on the rears at 12000 miles. They didn't rotate the tyres/wheels and said that wasn't normally done anyway during service.
It isn't part of the service schedule, but it is recommended (see below). Any tyre workshop will rotate tyres for a fee. I am fortunate, if I ask when I take the car in the dealer will rotate the tyres at no extra cost.

Image from Sportage Handbook, Section 8, page 61.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It isn't part of the service schedule, but it is recommended (see below). Any tyre workshop will rotate tyres for a fee. I am fortunate, if I ask when I take the car in the dealer will rotate the tyres at no extra cost.

Image from Sportage Handbook, Section 8, page 61.
View attachment 9426
I made it to 26k miles on the original 19" Continentals on my 17plate GTL AWD Auto. Swopped front to back once, replaced all four with Avon ZX7. Initial impressions quieter & smoother ride, how long they last is yet to be revealed.:unsure:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
They didn't rotate the tyres/wheels and said that wasn't normally done anyway during service.
It probably isn't on the job sheet but when I had new X-Climates fitted on the rears by Costco just before my 4-year service not long ago, I asked the receptionist if they would swop over the fronts and rears while it was with them. He noted that but on the day, when I dropped off the car, I left a post-it note on the steering wheel with a 'Dear Tech' reminder about the swop.

To conclude, the swop was performed and there was no extra charge incurred on the pre-paid KIA 5-year service plan.

I think we all know that some dealers are better than others and I can only applaud Mantle's of Royston.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dealer swapping wheels round at service for free. You are having a joke. At my 2nd service in 2020 before lock down at 17k I asked to have the wheels swapped round,
the dealer carried it out as requested, and then I had the pleasure of having to fork out £45+vat. When I was on the tools in the 60s/70s wheel swap was part of the service schedule,
starting with the spare wheel and then diagonal. With modern tyres that are diectional I know that you can't swap diagonal these days and with wheel free ramps, air wrenches,
mechanics (if you are allowed to call them that) now have an easy time. Tyres are tyres, nothing changed so why not still part of service? If it can be done.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Your tyres are bald and you're asking for help? Really? Isn't it obvious... buy new ones!

And you bought a big heavy SUV designed & engineered for off-road duties - so you should not be surprised at the rate they consume tyres (or fuel for that matter).

Do you actually need a vehicle designed for off-road use? Maybe you'd be better with an estate or MPV which are much kinder to the planet & your wallet as a result?

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
73 Posts
A Sportage isn't a proper SUV, more of a crossover, and certainly not designed for off road use, except the occasional grass verge outside the paper shop perhaps.
No selectable 4wd or diff locks, low ratio gearbox or high ground clearance are giveaways.
At best they are a 'soft roader' and while they can tow ok, they are usually bought for a better (higher) driving position and a more comfortable seat for the occupants. Mine was, but for it's size, is fairly 'sporty' if needed.
Including my current Sportage, my last 5 vehicles have been similar, but a bit bigger so that when I was working, I could carry tools & test gear long distances in comfort and tow a caravan or boat safely.
LPG made feeding them reasonably inexpensive. 50000 miles plus out of a set of oem Hankooks was the norm.
The point that seems to be missed is driving style. If someone drives any car enthusiastically, they will pay the penalties of fuel consumption and wear & tear on consumables, the bigger the vehicle, the higher the cost.
The OP hasn't mentioned what his driving style is and so we can't tell if his driving style is sedentary or sporty, but many people have mentioned heavy tyre wear on Sportage models. Mine only has 12000 miles on (3000 by me) and only has a couple of mm left on the front tyres, so possibly the PO was a heavy footed individual. I'll know better after I fit new tyres later this year and see what mileage I get on them.
I think Sandi was really asking if that sort of tyre mileage was good, bad or poor, and despite the wording, perhaps they were 'worn out' not bald? Maybe a bit of understanding would be more helpful on both sides of the question.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Whilst not exactly built to LR spec, they are certainly designed with more than "occasional grass verge" in mind - my Smart or my son's Ka manage grass verges with no issue.
The Sportage is designed for things like green lanes, campsites, farm tracks, muddy countryside car parks - the places where your traditional "car" will struggle. Which is why they have features such as AWD, electronic 4x4 lock, hill descent control & have higher ground clearance and have stronger chassis & beefier suspension componentry to cope with this work.

The reason I selected a Sportage is because of these features - knowingly buying a car that would be heavy on consumables like tyres, clutch, suspension & of course fuel - it would be stupid to buy a car like this if you don't plan to use for the off-road purposes they're built for - as to do so would be pretty inefficient on both wallet and the environment. If you plan to keep your car "on-road" & with occasional grass verges, then there are far far better choices out there which are better for running costs, comfort & the health & wellbeing of the planet.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,291 Posts
If you plan to keep your car "on-road" & with occasional grass verges, then there are far far better choices out there which are better for running costs, comfort & the health & wellbeing of the planet.
Agreed, the bus, train, a bicycle or walking are far better options for the well being of the planet. Any vehicle bought for personal use is a not an eco friendly option, even electric vehicles have an environmental impact. You could argue this point for ever, but it makes no difference, we all make individual choices based on our own needs and desires. And we all make excuses for our choices, good or bad, that's human's for you.
And all this is mute, as the OP looks as if he or she is a one post wonder. They haven't responded to this post, or any other post. They didn't even introduce themselves.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I was told at my 2019 t-gdi 4wd Sportage service last week that there was only about 2mm left on the front tyres and 5mm on the rears at 12000 miles. They didn't rotate the tyres/wheels and said that wasn't normally done anyway during service. I'll get some new tyres on later this year, but then they WILL be rotated around the car. Maybe the PO was a heavy driver, but I used to get over 50000 miles on a set of Hankooks on my Santa Fés, and that's a heavier car that got used for towing caravan or boat regularly. If used a bit 'enthusiastically', the Santa would slide slightly, but the Sportage never does, so current tyres are stickier, which means they'll wear quicker. Plus, the Sporty does handle better.
Interesting subject, what tyres will be used in future remains to be seen.
I got told by my local dealership that tyre rotation wasn’t really something they did unless specifically requested. When I asked originally for the rotation at time of service they said they can do it for a cost (think it’s around £70). They still said that it isn’t really needed as when fronts were done then the rears would need to be replaced as well. I did explain that I would get more wear out of the tyres by rotating and they said it was my choice but they didn’t really see the need.
In the end I got them rotated at time of service and will prob leave them now until new tyres are required.
Really impressed with grip and stopping performance of the continental tyres. However, they don’t seem to last too long. As others have said, I believe you can only get between 10k and 15k out of a set.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Like most cars these days, its more of a fashion accessory than anything else. Chelsea Tractor than Tractor. Pointles anecdotal evidence regarding other car and tyre combinations aside, yeah about 15k is probably about right. Mine's about 12.5k and the fronts are starting to appear on my radar. Essentially, there seems to be consensus that you;re not in the wrong ballpark.
Personally, I don't bother rotating over the life of the tyres, I'd prefer to do it at tyre change time. Wear out the fronts, put the new ones on the back and the rears on the front. Personal preference so I don't have to cough out for all 4 tyres at once; and also ensures you always have better tyres on the rear; the tyres you want to let go first are the fronts, rather than the rears. Yes the car has traction control etc. etc. but I've had plenty in my time that have not reacted as quickly as me in times of understeer. Like I say, personal preference.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
73 Posts
Can't understand why they'd charge if they take the wheels off to properly examine the wheels, calipers and pads anyway....... :unsure:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Can't understand why they'd charge if they take the wheels off to properly examine the wheels, calipers and pads anyway....... :unsure:
My local dealership did used to charge somewhere in region of £40 but I was told that kia now set the price for tyre rotation so they have to go by their prices which as I say was £70 quid or so now.
I too don’t get why they charge but at same time I do. If loads of people are requesting tyre rotation and each customer is getting charged £70 then it’s really easy money for the dealerships/kia.

I’ve never rotated tyres before. However, I got a bit worried after reading that with AWD you need to otherwise you can damage the system due to uneven tyre wear. Others on here have said that it’s not an issue whereas others agree it could be so still not entirely sure myself what best thing to do is but tyre rotation is a good way of ensuring all tyres wear evenly.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would be surprised if any dealer removes the wheels as part of a routine service (not enough time :unsure: ) Up on the ramp visual inspection only :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.