Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Bought a 2017 Kia Sportage 1.7crdi with 21,000 miles on. All 4 tyres are cracked through the middle of the treads. They are all Hankook tyres. Has anyone else had this issue and what tyres do people use on this model?

I may need to replace them despite the fact they have good tread depth on them. Kia dealership just passed it on an MOT and said they are on an advisory, but not dangerous!
Any help/advice appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
You slipped up there you should have made it a condition of sale and told them you'd walk away if they were not changed. 99% they would have changed them rather than lose a sale.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can’t disagree with you there to be honest. I only got the print out after I had signed some of the paperwork and couldn’t see the middle of the tread when I checked the tyres!
I could still reject the car in the next 14 days. I am going to a tyre garage tomorrow morning for a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Might want to have a look here .......

·
Registered
104 Posts
I replaced my original Hankook fronts a couple of months ago (slightly lower mileage than you) and they had no sign of cracking whatsoever. I replaced them with Avon ZX7 tyres from Tyre Shopper, £231.44 fully fitted by a mobile fitter.

However I'd certainly let the dealer believe that you were serious about returning the vehicle under their 14-day return policy due to this issue!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced my original Hankook fronts a couple of months ago (slightly lower mileage than you) and they had no sign of cracking whatsoever. I replaced them with Avon ZX7 tyres from Tyre Shopper, £231.44 fully fitted by a mobile fitter.

However I'd certainly let the dealer believe that you were serious about returning the vehicle under their 14-day return policy due to this issue!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I may try that tomorrow morning. Email already sent to Hankook tyres UK! See what happens.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Threaten to reject the car.
Cite that you carry your family in the car and you don't feel comfortable with them in there knowing there's defects on the tyres.
Watch the sales manager squirm and make various offers with you to replace them - probably starting with "we'll contribute 50%" but if you stick to your guns it's almost certain they will replace the lot at no cost to you.
But if it helps, maybe suggest you contribute 25% as you'll be getting brand new tyres instead of part worn ones...

Either way if you keep saying "unless they're new tyres I'm not happy and would like to reject the car and have my money back" you WILL get some joy here.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Watch the sales manager squirm and make various offers with you to replace them -
They will replace them with a set of £30 each Taiwan ditchfinders which will be more lethal than a set of Hankooks with microcracking.

Insist they are replaced with a set of comparable quality to the OEM Hankooks.

·
Registered
666 Posts
If the dealer agrees to replace, agree what's being fitted.
You really don't want budget tyres like 'Sunny' or 'Landsail' or 'Go wind' (I've not made any of these up).
I'd rather take my chances on ropey Hankooks than new budgets.

·
Registered
666 Posts
They will replace them with a set of £30 each Taiwan ditchfinders which will be more lethal than a set of Hankooks with microcracking.

Insist they are replaced with a set of comparable quality to the OEM Hankooks.
JINX!!!! we literally posted the same warning at the same time.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've had several tyres crack up, all were premium brands, none were hankooks. Pretty sure it was due to under inflation in all of them, acellerated by sunlight where it is on the sidewalls.
It would seem to be better to error on the side of over inflation and end up with more wear in the center but no cracking.

Tyre dressings really help, just like sun screen. Tyre black or tyre gel, the black liquid seems to preserve the rubber the best.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Tyre dressings really help, just like sun screen. Tyre black or tyre gel, the black liquid seems to preserve the rubber the best.
When I had the microcracking on Michelin's the first question they asked was did I ever use tyre black of any description. The truthful answer was no because I am not daft enough to pay to make rubber look blacker and they said that chemicals in tyre black can cause the surface to degrade and crack.

But in reality tyre black had been used on the tyres, once before delivery and at the 1st, 2nd and 3rd services but I cannot believe that 4 applications would make a difference, very different to the people you see dressing up their black tyres to look blacker every week. But I now tell the garage not to use tyre black when they valet the car after a service.

A company the size of Michelin may have the test kit to check for the chemicals used in black treatments and if found may possibly reject the claim. Why else would they ask?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Your dealer applies tyre black at services...?
Talk about trying to justify their charges, good grief.... :oops:
BMW, Seat, Nissan, Skoda and even Kia etc have all valeted/washed the cars as part of the service and tyre black is part of that process until told to desist.

Obviously you pay but it part of the service plan or menu price and there is no deduction for saying no to the "freeby".

Yours must be a rubbish dealer if they return a dirty car.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Tyre preservation Chemicals "can" cause degradation.

But in most cases will extend the tyre, or sidewall, life. I also thought it was overkill earlier, making black tyres blacker. Now I'm convinced it saves me money by extending tyre life when they are exposed to the sun. However I have quite a few sets, so old age can get the best of them before they are worn out.
For users who replace tyres every 1-3 yrs it's probably not necessary.
I suspect that what may be worse for tyres, is some of the degreasers that car washes use, the DIY hi pressure pistol car washes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Many thanks for the numerous replies. Only thing that annoys me on here is you come on for advice on what tyres to buy for a used Kia Sportage and people start talking about something completely different!!!! There must be about 3 recommendations of tyres out of 20 responses!!!!! I am nowhere nearer choosing from this and I would have thought this would be the expert opinion from owners who have had the experience of using good/bad tyres???

Thanks again everyone but please stay on topic, not divert to dealership standards on valets!!

After online research I am swaying towards replacing the Hankooks for Hankooks again as all of the reviews of the tyres mentioned (some recommended do not have the correct speed rating for my car) seem poor.

So Hankook Ventus Prime 2 may be getting ordered today I can get 4 brand new fitted for around £270 with my allowance from Kia. Not bad.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I personally have no problems with Hankook Ventus Prime 2 tyres that were fitted as standard on my 2016 Sportage, in fact they done me proud, 32k in 3 years and only changed them due to having a nail in the rear inner sidewall tyre picked up on the 3rd year service and as they were down to 3-4 mm i decided to change all four (Black Circles, £440 inc.fitting), I did change the front to backs after 18 months though, I had no road noise and found they kept the tyre pressures up without having to keep pumping them up, oh and definitly no signs of any cracking between the treads! I would happily use them again.

Unlike my current 2019 Sportage, that has Continentals all round..definitely coming off and being replaced sooner than i thought due to road noise and the fact they are just a year old and already down to 4.5mm fronts and 6.0mm rears, ans yes i did measure them when new and they were all 8mm !
I have changed them around already to try and balance the wear a bit, and I have to keep an eye on the tyre pressures as they loose air more often than the Hankooks did

1 - 20 of 24 Posts