Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
23k on the front two.... well worn now - need some new ones. Rear ones look about a quarter worn. Wont be replacing them with the Nexens..... want something thats a bit quieter in terms of road noise. But have had no complaints with grip - come rain, shine or snow.
Edited by: tempest

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
the nexen grips very well, but on course motorway concrete they are deafening. The ride on the Soul 18 inch wheels is pretty poor, i have no idea how much of this is down to the tyre or the weight of the wheel. All i am gonna do is go for a better quality tyre that is recommended to be quiet and hope the ride improves. The best way to improve the ride is with smaller wheels and deeper tyres - but i cant afford that hit just now.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Just to add to my previous post (but it wont let me) the nexens are very long lasting...... its very hilly and twisty where i live and my previous Fiat Diesel used to go through front tyres every 12-15k and they were expensive Pirellis.... i could probably stretch my worn ones out to 25k.... but the service people will kick off if i give it in with tyres like that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I lucked out and found a set of wheels (with pressure monitors) and new Yokohama tires on it
from a Mitsubishi Lancer ES that fit my Soul +. They handle much better than the Nexen tires (I

hit a pothole and blew one of my Nexen tires with less than 2,000 miles on it.Ruined the sidewall

so I shopped for a replacement but price was to high for such a low quality tire. I wanted an

extra set of wheels to mount snow tires easily.

Now I have a set of Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires on my Kia rims and summer tires on the other

wheels. Total cost for both sets came to about $1000 USD. Well worth it once weather changes.

Both brands are noisy but I blame that on lack of sound proofing on the Soul; not so much on the

tires themselves.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
My Hankooks tyres are really good tyres and wear well they are not to noisy and they have 25k plus on them at the moment but should do another 5k at least before I need to replace them. The look of the 18" wheels are worth the extra cost which for my Hankooks replacements with the same tyres will be £123 fully fitted with nitrogen in them.I have also found that if you run them at 35psi front and 32psi rear for normal running they are very stable and do not wander around at all.
Posted on Stability .

·
Registered
309 Posts
I read on the US forum that the Continetal extreme contact DWS tyre was good for all round grip & made less road noise .

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Has anybody else got Hankooks on their Soul if so what do you think of them,I am very pleased with the ones on my soul. I have had Conti's on one of my cars and they were not bad but did not last that long.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Dave,Well - little Miss Tempest (that I will be collecting on Saturday) does have Hankooks. And I must say that during the test drive I was pleasantly surprised with how quiet they were.
My worst 'road noise car' was my lovely Smart (1st edition) and they were Pirelli's.
Aren't the Hankooks the basic tyres then? The Tempest I am buying is a 60 reg, so a 2011 model. It's only done 2,300 miles.
I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
You will love the car it's great,the hankooks were an alternitive tyre on th 18" wheels as far as I know and seem to be better than the Nexens that were also used.The Hankooksare more expensive to replace so I don't think they are the basic ones.My Tempset is a 2010 model and we both love it,we have put 25k miles on it since we had it from new in March 2010.I have never driven a smart car but I have heard that the gear change is a little different.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Mines done 12,000 on the Hankooks , the grip is good , but on some roads im glad its got a great audio system to drown out the noise .
I keep mine inflated to the recommended pressures on the sticker in the car .

Im guessing its a bit of what your used to , Ive had several Freelanders before & they all had chuncky all terrain tyres that lasted for years .

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i have been offered a good deal on a pair of Falken tyres £121 each
fitted..... i have heard good reports on them being a mid range
tyre....anybody else offer an opinion.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I had Falken ZE912 on my Rio and I thought they were good in dry and wet. Mileage wise I had them on for 12k miles and the fronts had about 3mm left when I sold the car. I would buy them again.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Thanks Davy..... my Nexen have done 25k and are just about dead (fronts only - i dont rotate them).... hopefully the Falken will be a softer, quieter tyre and i dont mind if it wears out a bit quicker - so cheers for that.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I found the Falkens to be quieter than the Hankook tyres that were a standard fitment to the 06 Rio.
I have 2 Nexen CP641s on the front of my Leon and they seem ok.
I was in my local Kia garage yesterday just looking not buying at the new Rio and I also had a look at at a new Soul Tempest and it was fitted with Nexen tyres. I also heard there is talk of a new shape Ceed coming out possibly 2012.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
What type of Hankooks do you have on your Soul? On the Rio (such as mine) they are 406s. These tyres offer good grip and long life, but they are very noisy and severely affect the handling of the car, so I would never buy them again.
Edited by: M4trundler

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
My Hankooks are Optimo K415 tyres and seem to be OK all round.The handling is quite good in fact withit can be drifted without any loss in control. With such a tall car as the Soul I don't think this is to bad at all.I had Hankooks on a couple of the trucks when I helped run a LGV training company and they were very good.I looked at Michelin but the best price was around £175 per tyre and the Hankooks were £123, I know that when I had Michelins one ofthe cars I had they were very good but still not really quite.I have 25k plus on them at the moment so I will need to change them in about another 5k miles.I have just joined Which so I will have a look on their site to see if they have tested tyres.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts