Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2 litre proceed and will soon be needing 2 new front tyres, at present it has Michelin 225/45 17 primacy tyres on. I believe these to be standard fitment. The question is - can anyone recomend some front tyres or tyres overal.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi EP, sorry bud just put a post on for tyres myself! well hopefully between the 2 we should get plenty of help, what is the mileage on your front tyres? im up to 17500 and prob 2000 still on em?regards
Geoff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Geoff

I've done 16,666 with about half a mm left till I hit the markers, thinking of some tyres for the ice and snow is not a bad idea. I did see a brief mention somewhere on here that Barum's are recomended.

I must admit the proceed is a pretty good car and I've no regrets getting her, and its practical and fun. What more can you ask for eh!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi EP,16k+ thats great! I was only getting 11k on SPAM & 11/12k on toyota auris, so i think the kia doing well,just looking for a softer tyre to soften out the bumps a bit, yes i knowi will loose some of the grip round the bends but not to worried about that. its a thing that comes with 50+ (years not MPG) for any nippers reading this post

always had P6000 on previous cars , good tyre but never got good mileage out of them?????
Well with luck we may get some feed back on what the other guys are using.
regards
Geoff

·
Registered
218 Posts
geoff 57 said:
Hi EP,16k+ thats great! I was only getting 11k on G O L F & 11/12k on toyota auris, so i think the kia doing well,just looking for a softer tyre to soften out the bumps a bit, yes i knowi will loose some of the grip round the bends but not to worried about that. its a thing that comes with 50+ (years not MPG) for any nippers reading this post

always had P6000 on previous cars , good tyre but never got good mileage out of them?????
Well with luck we may get some feed back on what the other guys are using.
regards
Geoff

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi, I have a ceed sport which had the michelin's on. I fitted Kumho Ecsta KU 31 Tyres which handle much better and feel safer in the wet. They have just bought out a Ecsta KU 39 which my dad has on his Mitsubishi evo which seem to be even better that the KU 31. We got them from blackcircles.com.
Regards

Richard

·
Registered
49 Posts
Based on experience with previous cars I changed my Pro-Ceed to Continental Sport Contact 3 in the 225/45 17 size. They have much better ride comfort, noise levels, and grip than the original Michelins. Quite a transformation. Kwik Fit do a reasonable on-line price for a full car set, and Black Circles are slightly cheaper again. Wear rate in my experience is similar to the Michelins.

On previous (non Kia) cars I've swapped Michelin Pilot Sports for original Conti Sport Contact and for Sport Contact 2, and again they were better all round.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Found Conti Sport 2 on the C-max incredibly noisy, they got worse as they wore down and became unbearable, no odd wear on them. Replaced with Khumho KU31, like getting a new car. Would try KH31 next time (if they still do them)since they have a pattern that is supposed to bebetter in the wet (never had a problem with the KU31 though). About 1/2 the price of a Michelin and 2/3 price of a Conti, recommended.
Paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the Kumars fitted and they really make a difference on the handling, they grip better when powering into corners and just generally feel a lot more secure than the original tyres. I have now done 2,000 miles on them and i think that is a good amount of time and mile to assess them, of course the next test is how long they last, especially as i use the power and handling a bit harder because they feel so secure. Thanks for recomending these. cheers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess we will be on these, or something similar,soon..

New tyre design by Michelin.
The next generation of tyres.
Yes, those are 'spoke' like connections to the inner part of the tyre from the outside tread 'wrap!' The next picture shows how odd it looks in motion...
These tyres are airless and are scheduled to be out on the market very soon.
The bad news for law enforcement is that spike strips will not work on these.
Just think of the impact on existing technology:
A. No more air valves...
B. No more air compressors at gas stations...
C. No more repair kits...
D. No more flats...

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Very interesting. I would love to try a set. Looks kinda odd no sidewalls on the moving car pic.
Tyre repair shops will loose loadsa money due to no punctures. There is good profits to made in tyre repairs and balancing.

·
Registered
536 Posts
And 50% increase in fuel consumption. Wheels and the arches are the most draggy part of a car. Hence why so many hybrid/ electric cars mostly have faired In wheel arches to reduce drag at car shows. With tires like is they will be even more inefficient . Anyway. There bonded to the rim so no changing alloys if this is the future. No repairs either so you break it....it's a new one! Not to mention having to check no little vandals have pushed stuff between the "spokes". Plus they will be torque limited. You have a round object and put power through it from the centre, unless it's one solid part, it will twist. Hence why the london eye and the even bigger wheel in Singapore are powered from the perimeter. NOT the centre.
But the major nail in the coffin for me is.....how you going to balance them? All you would have to do is drive on a gravel driveway, muddy bank, hard shoulder.....and the rubbish that has clogged in the spokes has taken it out of ballance....

Typical French coming up with a useless product...Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
536 Posts
It just hurts to see innovation from a firm that is trying too hard to solve problems that aren't there...or just doing a very hard job of solving them. I mean what's wrong with fitting tires with kevlar belts to stop punchers, filling them with Nitrogen then sealing them fully or even developing a valve (which I will try find a link to as it exists!!!) that regulates the tire pressure when rotating.

I mean look at it! Plastic fatigue, stiff tire tread will leave no grip under heavy lateral loading and the plastic part must generate way to much heat to keep the rubber from blistering or increasing wear.

·
Registered
226 Posts
First thing I would say is dont buy cheap budget tyres, will cost you more in the long run. Tyres are a very personal thing (even more so with bike tyres). Personally I would have theMichelinall day long, but hate Continentals.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Yes Michelin PR3s are good on the Busa but I tend to buy middle of the road tyres (escuse the pun) for my cars. I had Michelins on a few cars and found them to be noisy. I have a pair of Nexen CP641s on the front of my Leon and I think there good in wet/dry and not noisy for £57 each compared to about a £100 for a mich or conti they've got to be worth it.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Well the BT15 was gone in just over 2K miles but the PR3 has done about 2.5k and has still kept its shape and has loads of life in it yet. The Bt15 was way too soft in my opinion but stuck well in the dry. I have more confidence in the PR3 in the wet tho'

·
Registered
226 Posts
I hate Bridgestone tyres, take to long to warm up. I have been using the the 2CT's for a while now. In the summer I use a pair of PR2's ( not tried the 3 yet) and in the winter I run the PR2 on the front and the pilot power 2CT on the back, prefer a softer rear tyre in the height of winter LOL. And sorry to for hijacking the thread LOL.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts