Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've just joined the forum and am looking for information regarding the tyres on my Kia Sportage.

I bought my Kia Sportage new in March 2017 and it's the first time in approximately 30 years I've kept a new car for more than 3 years. A year ago at the first MOT it passed without any work being needed. On Monday of this week the car went in for the fourth year service and MOT. It failed the MOT on headlights alignment and a perished front nearside tyre. All 4 tyres are showing signs of perishing but the front nearside has perished so deep that it failed the MOT. In August 2017 I was diagnosed with cancer and from October 2017 to March 2020 I had five operations in three different hospitals with many weeks after each operation of not being able to drive. As a result of that and together with the Corona virus lockdowns the car has only 5,802 miles on the clock. The guys at the Kia dealers said the tyres have perished due to the car standing for long periods of time. Has anyone on this forum had a similar problem with perished tyres ?
Geoff.

·
Super Moderator
3,534 Posts
Welcome - but this is the wrong forum for advice so I'm moving you to a general Kia one.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think it might at least partly depend on where the car was parked - if outside then the tyre which copped the most direct sunlight/UV would probably deteriorate the quickest.

Reactions: 17rapidMAN

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I think it might at least partly depend on where the car was parked - if outside then the tyre which copped the most direct sunlight/UV would probably deteriorate the quickest.
Had the same problem many years ago on a Polo. The tyres had 5mm of tread all round but it failed its 1st MOT due to perished rubber. It transpired that the tyres were very old stock at the VW factory.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Sunlight degrades tyres, perhaps the worst tyre on your car caught the most sunlight. Combined with low pressures they can crack around the sidewalls.
I've started using tyre dressings the last few years, not just to make them look like new but to protect from the sun.
For folks who do high mileages quickly it may not be necessary but for cars that are not used a lot tyre dressings on the sidewall will prolong the lifespan.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,408 Posts
It's not something I've experienced on a car, but it is an issue for caravans.
Most caravans sit on the same area of tyre for long periods, only being moved occasionally. Sitting in the same position can make the tyre go out of shape and deform. Also the tyre not moving regularly means weather effects it more and as a consequence they start to perish quicker than normal. I don't fully understand the technicalities but moving tyres frequently reduces the risks of deformation and perishing.
Caravan manufacturers recommend changing tyres every four to five years, regardless of tread wear.

·
Registered
348 Posts
This is a common problem with hankooks, there are threads about it on here. they usually perish in the treads around the circumference of the tyre. i dont think anybody had much luck getting it done under warranty !

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi, I've just joined the forum and am looking for information regarding the tyres on my Kia Sportage.

I bought my Kia Sportage new in March 2017 and it's the first time in approximately 30 years I've kept a new car for more than 3 years. A year ago at the first MOT it passed without any work being needed. On Monday of this week the car went in for the fourth year service and MOT. It failed the MOT on headlights alignment and a perished front nearside tyre. All 4 tyres are showing signs of perishing but the front nearside has perished so deep that it failed the MOT. In August 2017 I was diagnosed with cancer and from October 2017 to March 2020 I had five operations in three different hospitals with many weeks after each operation of not being able to drive. As a result of that and together with the Corona virus lockdowns the car has only 5,802 miles on the clock. The guys at the Kia dealers said the tyres have perished due to the car standing for long periods of time. Has anyone on this forum had a similar problem with perished tyres ?
Geoff.
Not in that timescale unless the tyres had been flat for a considerable period, like months, during the last four years.
However, they are what they are and you need new ones and that's that. I think five years on a car is the recommended maximum life anyway, because the sun effects the quality of the rubber compound. I have a Honda CR-V, bought used, registered in 2015 and its original tyres are only now wearing to the point that replacement is imminent. They are the original tyres and are coming up to 55,000 miles. No appreciable perishing or cracking but they are Michelin. Although I don't always buy them, I do always choose them for my principle cars because they do seem to give good value for money despite being in the expensive side. If I know that a car is going to be sold before the newly fitted tyres are at least 75% worn, cheaper but good mid range tyres are fitted, such as Khumo.
My new Kia is factory fitted with Continental tyres which perform superbly, and don't perish too quickly, but they wear out dreadfully quickly, going from experience.

I used several brands of mainly Korean tyres on an Audi Q7, because it wore premium tyres out very quickly. Conti's only lasted 10,000 miles per set for instance. On the other hand Maxxis and a couple of other brands that were half the price of the Conti lasted nearly twice the mileage. They were prone to the already hard rubber hardening further with age though and I found them dreadfully and increasingly noisy as they wore down. The road grip was very much inferior to the factory Continentals or the first replacements that were Pirelli.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,043 Posts
There are complaints of premature tyre perishing on several car forums including Briskoda. Some tyres were only 2 yrs old (Toyota Yaris Hybrid). I suspect it's because of changes for environmental reasons to compounds and polymers (silicon etc). I have a pair of 20+ yr. old (inflated and still on steel wheel) Pirelli's that were on my Triumph Spitfire that look near perfect and I also have 4 x 14 yr old Potenza's on Minilites that are practically immaculate. Don't worry I will not be driving with them! It is one of the banes of owning classic cars though that tyres only last a few thousand miles at best.

·
Registered
892 Posts
all 4 tyres are showing signs of perishing...
If all 4 look bad they may have been under inflated while at rest and/or in use.
It's best to "over inflate" tyres for storage so that they hold their shape.
The recommendated pressures in the user manuals are for driving, not storage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If all 4 look bad they may have been under inflated while at rest and/or in use.
It's best to "over inflate" tyres for storage so that they hold their shape.
The recommendated pressures in the user manuals are for driving, not storage.
Thanks for your reply, however, even though the car had little use I still regularly checked the tyre pressures.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your reply, the nearside front tyre that failed the MOT didn't see much sunlight through the day but both front and rear offside tyres did.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've owned my Cee'd for 8 years from new and only replaced the original Hankook tyres following the eight year service and Mot. Front treads were marginal, but passed. Rears were fine.

I replaced all four tyres due to the age. They looked OK, but I did some research and figured it was time to change them. Since I had two to replace in any case it was not a stretch to replace the other two to make sure of maximum safety and performance.

The car stands all day on a south facing exposed driveway. I don't think sun damage was a problem at all. Certainly not a reason to fail the MOT.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Tyre degradation might also partly depend on car location,ambient temps,humidity etc as well as UV damage.
Aircraft tyres used to have covers fitted when parked outside to keep out both UV and any dripping oils/fluid - all of which attacks tyre 'Rubber'

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have the original set of continental winter tyres made in Germany in 2008, that came with my Kia when new. These tyres still visually look like new, I have had no traction issues. Stored indoors when not in use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts