Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I discovered that some moron had stolen all my original KIA tyre valve caps. It was during covid lockdown so I took the easy route and bought some with the KIA logo on the end of each cap from Ebay.

The original KIA ones were plastic - the Ebay ones were metal - which I assumed was an improvement.

Over the week-end one of my tyres developed a slow leak so I popped into a local tyre workshop to get it seen to - it was a nail in the centre of the tread.

The foreman advised me that the metal valve caps were a bad idea - especially now that cars have TPMS. He has lost count of the number of owners who have snapped the valve stem trying to remove a seized metal cap and he replaced them with plastic ones.

You learn something every day.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Metal valve caps are OK if you manually check your tyre pressures fairly regularly,obviously many people do not if they have TPMS.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,406 Posts
I was told the metals will be different, much more likely to corrode and seize. I own up, I don't go around all four wheels with a pressure gauge, I just switch the TPMS display and check them. That modern life for you.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I prefer plastic caps anyway - if they fly off they will not damage anybodies windscreen.
If our cars had TPMS I would probably do that too :)

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
604 Posts
I already learnt this lesson after buying some cheap valve caps decade's ago. Luckily with pliers on the stem and cap, I did actually get mine off but I had it replaced straight away due to the damage inflicted. A mate went super showey and installed light up caps on his nova. Due to a combination of cheap finish/metal and leakage from the batteries, he did have to have two valves cut out and replaced.

Although they don't look as good, it's plastic fantastic only for me now!

·
Registered
705 Posts
As a blue light response driver I was taught to physically check tyre pressures every day. Atmospheric pressure and temperature changes will alter your own pressures. TPMS is not accurate and doesn't kick in until you have warmed up the tyre slightly. It's basic common sense for most drivers and it's more important to have them all equal pressure than exact recommended pressure.

·
Super Moderator
4,217 Posts
Had this many years ago on my old m/bike. Cost me far too much to get sorted as had to bike to get tyre taken off and new valve fitted.
Never used metal since.
Given the weight of some of the metal caps it can affect the balance.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,043 Posts
Years ago when I was a mechanic in the 70's there was a fashion for fitting dust caps shaped like dice or footballs, and these were sometimes quiet heavy. We had a spat of tyre blowouts due to this as the extra weight coupled with centrifugal force caused the valve stem to bend and fracture. No issue these days I suspect. Another issue I learned from the experts at the time (both as a mechanic and as a BT underground cable technician) was that the Shrader valve is not a guarantee of pressure integrity without a dust cap in place.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Years ago when I was a mechanic in the 70's there was a fashion for fitting dust caps shaped like dice or footballs, and these were sometimes quiet heavy. We had a spat of tyre blowouts due to this as the extra weight coupled with centrifugal force caused the valve stem to bend and fracture. No issue these days I suspect. Another issue I learned from the experts at the time (both as a mechanic and as a BT underground cable technician) was that the Shrader valve is not a guarantee of pressure integrity without a dust cap in place.
I also heard that centrifugal force could slightly lift the valve which is why you need the cap.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,406 Posts
Snap, I'm also ex BT, mostly C.A.L.M and then systems support, six years retired. ;)

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I have not succumbed to the urge for a bit of bling so my caps are the standard placcy ones, however I had never considered the potential for siezing with metal ones so good steer from Alan Ho

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I have not succumbed to the urge for a bit of bling so my caps are the standard placcy ones, however I had never considered the potential for siezing with metal ones so good steer from Alan Ho
I find that it is all too easy to cross-thread the plastic caps, which destroys the seal effect. I always put a tiny smear of Vaseline on the valve stem before fitting the shiny new metal replacements. Also, I never tighten them more than a firm finger pressure. They never get stuck or corroded on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
About 5years ago on a very cold, icy morning the tyre pressure monitor showed low pressure on one tyre. A short time later it showed two tyres, so I drove to the local tyre centre. Before I got there all four were showing under flared. On taking off the metal dust caps it was found moisture inside the caps had frozen and put pressure on the valve needle and deflated the tyres. Caps were replaced with plastic and never had the problem again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A few months ago I discovered that some moron had stolen all my original KIA tyre valve caps. It was during covid lockdown so I took the easy route and bought some with the KIA logo on the end of each cap from Ebay.

The original KIA ones were plastic - the Ebay ones were metal - which I assumed was an improvement.

Over the week-end one of my tyres developed a slow leak so I popped into a local tyre workshop to get it seen to - it was a nail in the centre of the tread.

The foreman advised me that the metal valve caps were a bad idea - especially now that cars have TPMS. He has lost count of the number of owners who have snapped the valve stem trying to remove a seized metal cap and he replaced them with plastic ones.

You learn something every day.
A word of caution when fitting metal valve caps.. depending where these were sourced from and the metal there made from, they can cause corrosion & seize onto the brass valve stem
I know people who have applied a smear of petroleum jelly onto the valve stem thread first to form a barrier
My company fit these HP valve caps all the time and we specifically insist on brass plated caps to avoid the issue
Also remember if you have TMPS fitted, grey caps should be fitted to identify fitment

·
Registered
60 Posts
Grey valve caps - I never knew that! I better look at swopping out mine as black plastic ones fitted as std. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
A word of caution when fitting metal valve caps.. depending where these were sourced from and the metal there made from, they can cause corrosion & seize onto the brass valve stem
I know people who have applied a smear of petroleum jelly onto the valve stem thread first to form a barrier
My company fit these HP valve caps all the time and we specifically insist on brass plated caps to avoid the issue
Also remember if you have TMPS fitted, grey caps should be fitted to identify fitment

Someone should explain this to KIA.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
TMPS valve stems look distinctly different to ordinary ones and that is the clue for the tyre fitter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
TMPS valve stems look distinctly different to ordinary ones and that is the clue for the tyre fitter.
That should be the clue ..i think is what you mean
The number of TPMS sensor i have seen destroyed by hairy arse tyre fitters steaming in pulling the tyre off with no thought or care.
Mine also came with black plastic ones and now have grey HP brass caps

1 - 20 of 37 Posts