Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello experts, it's me again rambling in large type...
When examining my tyres, to see if my ABS light fault was due to odd sizes as suggested by the dealer I bought the car from, I thought I had detected 215/55/15 tyres on the front wheels and 215/65/15 tyres on the rear and spare wheels, and informed the dealer, 250 miles away in Plymouth, who said he would be happy to rectify the problem.

This is why I need b***** glasses close up!! When I looked again in daylight I noticed that the front tyres were in fact 215/65/15 but they were "T" rated, not "H" rated. I asked a VOSA technician at work and he said they wouldn't be a problem. I suspect he may be wrong.

Additionally, my neighbour (Volvo technician who likes Sedonas) took the car to work and confirmed that the ABS fault is due to a faulty offside sensor ring, which has a crack in it, and that is why the ABS light illuminates at about 60mph.

Whatto do next?I am hoping for some pearls of wisdom from all of you.

Thanks in advance,Numpty of Maidstone.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Mark Everest said:
Hello experts, it's me again rambling in large type...
When examining my tyres, to see if my ABS light fault was due to odd sizes as suggested by the dealer I bought the car from, I thought I had detected 215/55/15 tyres on the front wheels and 215/65/15 tyres on the rear and spare wheels, and informed the dealer, 250 miles away in Plymouth, who said he would be happy to rectify the problem.

This is why I need b***** glasses close up!! When I looked again in daylight I noticed that the front tyres were in fact 215/65/15 but they were "T" rated, not "H" rated. I asked a VOSA technician at work and he said they wouldn't be a problem. I suspect he may be wrong.

Additionally, my neighbour (Volvo technician who likes Sedonas) took the car to work and confirmed that the ABS fault is due to a faulty offside sensor ring, which has a crack in it, and that is why the ABS light illuminates at about 60mph.

Whatto do next?I am hoping for some pearls of wisdom from all of you.

Thanks in advance,Numpty of Maidstone.
Mark

Have a look at the following regarding the tyres :

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyrspeed.html

T rating is 119 mph and H is 150 mph it should only be a problem if you drive like Jenson button

as for the cracked ABS ring then you can either change the entire CV with the ring already on it or replace the ABS ring by it's self but as you have to do more or less the same in dismantling to do both( only difference would be removing the CV joint from the shaft to replace the entire joint complete with ABS ring) Both are available on EBay for less than £35 .

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
H is 130mph. But if your car manufacturer state the tyre rating as H and you put T on then its goodbye to an insurance claim if the tyres were at fault. I would stick with what the manufacturers reccommend or have higher rated tyres. Never go for a slower speed rated tyre. Also one to check is the load index too.
Tyresave is a good site for info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts