Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I keep damaging my tyres I'm considering to switch to those more sturdy all-terrain tyres, seen a couple (which are rated as all season as well) but only "T" rated instead of the required "H" speed rating. My insurer is currently not available to answer this so wondering if it would affect my insurance validation?
My understanding is that winter tyres in the correct size but with a lower speed limit would normally not be a issue, would this also apply for all season tyres?

·
Super Moderator
2,636 Posts
What are your std size tyres ?

I have all season tyres on my Stonic & they are the same as std rating.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It could well be an EU standard rule that "winter" tyres only have to be T rated. Probably because most proper winter tyres aren't much more than T.
However what is a winter tyre.?

I guess any tyre labelled M+S would have to be considered a winter tyre even though this age old rating is no guarantee whatsoever for safe winter driving.

The high speed ratings are mainly in case of your car being stolen or loaned and driven at top speed, so if it did crash with a thief at the wheel you may be liable and miss out on a payout.

Standard "summer" tyres with a high load rating, for ex >110 often marked XL for extra load, are stronger and may suit your needs. AT tyres tend to be noisy, and can aqua plane more easily in water puddles, especially noticeable if only 1 front wheel hits water

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are your std size tyres ?

I have all season tyres on my Stonic & they are the same as std rating.
I have the 16 inch wheels and yes there are all-season tyres with the same speed rating but these aren't more suitable for rough tracks than my current tyres.
For that reason I'm looking for something more resistant against damage like all-terrain tyres.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could well be an EU standard rule that "winter" tyres only have to be T rated. Probably because most proper winter tyres aren't much more than T.
However what is a winter tyre.?

I guess any tyre labelled M+S would have to be considered a winter tyre even though this age old rating is no guarantee whatsoever for safe winter driving.

The high speed ratings are mainly in case of your car being stolen or loaned and driven at top speed, so if it did crash with a thief at the wheel you may be liable and miss out on a payout.

Standard "summer" tyres with a high load rating, for ex >110 often marked XL for extra load, are stronger and may suit your needs. AT tyres tend to be noisy, and can aqua plane more easily in water puddles, especially noticeable if only 1 front wheel hits water
Yes I will (have to) accept the down sides of these tyres but it's better than regular replacing the current ones.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I guess you could just check the online specs of all the suitable AT Tyres in your size until you find one with H. Often delticom, my tyres.Co.UK, have several specifications of the same tyre model.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I have done that, looked at the manufacturers websites as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How or why do you keep damaging your tyres? We've all suffered the occasional problem but for it to keep happening there must be a reason.
The reason is that I'm using my car on rough tracks since I no longer have access to a vehicle fitted with all-terrain tyres. The solution is finding a compromise by fitting tyres suitable for road and terrain. There are options within the "H" spec the car is equipped with from factory but those seem rather designed for rugged looks only and named like "urban terrain" or something. A tyre like the General Grabber will suit my needs and is available in the correct size but only rated "T" instead of "H". Not that I will ever drive these speeds but I was hoping to find out if it would be alright to have these fitted since insurance companies do accept lower speed ratings for winter tyres, as an all-terain is different to a road tyre I'm hoping they will accept it. I would like to order them asap but unfortunately my insurer isn't available for general questions over the weekend.

·
Super Moderator
2,636 Posts
So
"T" rating is 118 MPH
"H" is 130 MPH

Sportage (not sure which one you have) has a top speed between 108 &126 depending on age/model.

TBH. I would go with the tyre you want. Either way, I doubt that it will make any difference to ins co. So long as they are informed, that should cover you.

Are speed ratings just about speed?
No. They’re also about ride comfort, traction, tread wear and cornering ability. A higher speed rating generally offers better grip and stopping power, but it may have a lower tread life and reduced performance in cold weather. That’s why V, Z, W and Y-rated tyres are usually better suited to high performance vehicles in warmer climates.

You can increase the speed rating of your vehicle’s tyres for improved performance, but can never decrease it without reducing the vehicle’s top speed to that of the lower speed rating selected.

Can I mix speed ratings on my vehicles tyres?
If you are going to mix speed ratings, which we don’t recommend, make sure the lower rated tyres are on the front axle, regardless of whether your vehicle is front-, rear- or four-wheel drive. This is to prevent a potential oversteer scenario. Bear in mind that all tyres must be appropriate for the vehicle and you should drive no faster than your lowest rated tyres.

We would always recommend that the same size and type of tyre, with the same speed ratings, are fitted on all tyres.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
You could check with your local tyre bay. Many years ago I took my Omega for two new tyres. The ones I wanted were of a lower speed rating. The tyre bay said thay would not fit them - had to be <whatever - I forget> or better. They then found me a pair of higer rated tyres for significantly less than the cost of the ones I wanted. It's nit just about speed but also the ability to withstand the acceleration, braking and cornering forces without degradation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So
"T" rating is 118 MPH
"H" is 130 MPH

Sportage (not sure which one you have) has a top speed between 108 &126 depending on age/model.

TBH. I would go with the tyre you want. Either way, I doubt that it will make any difference to ins co. So long as they are informed, that should cover you.
They probably come up with something like "we need to amend your policy for this" and charge me at least £25 for doing so...😒

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You could check with your local tyre bay. Many years ago I took my Omega for two new tyres. The ones I wanted were of a lower speed rating. The tyre bay said thay would not fit them - had to be <whatever - I forget> or better. They then found me a pair of higer rated tyres for significantly less than the cost of the ones I wanted. It's nit just about speed but also the ability to withstand the acceleration, braking and cornering forces without degradation.
I see you point but in this case the tyres with the size I need won't be available with an higher rating, only lower than factory spec.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I see you point but in this case the tyres with the size I need won't be available with an higher rating, only lower than factory spec.
IMO this means that they are the wrong tyres for that vehicle. If you really need rufty tufty tyres then you need a more suitable vehicle - no amount of wheel and tyre tweaking will allow you to use a Ferrari on a rough track.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm sure your vehicle will be just fine with general grabber tyres, sportage owners in other countries use them without problems. A standard vehicle with AT Tyres can make it a long way off road. Just know your ground clearance well and what the vulnerabilities are underneath.
The only difference between a street car type offroader and a rufty tufty one is that the later will get stuck in an even more inaccessible place.

·
Super Moderator
2,636 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts