Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Sportage GT Line: Low tyre pressure warning came on. Checked and it was a little low. Inflated it but warning is still on when I re-start the car. Have not moved the car. Cannot see any reset instruction in the handbook. Any advice please.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
2019 Sportage GT Line: Low tyre pressure warning came on. Checked and it was a little low. Inflated it but warning is still on when I re-start the car. Have not moved the car. Cannot see any reset instruction in the handbook. Any advice please.
The sensors only produce a signal when the wheel is rotating (this is to save the batteries). It will sort itself out after at most 100 yards driving.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The sensors only produce a signal when the wheel is rotating (this is to save the batteries). It will sort itself out after at most 100 yards driving.
Apparently these batteries only last about 5 years turnup..great thought that we have to have the tyre removed to sort that out..not found any info on whether the batteries can be replaced or a completely new sensor has to be fitted..when you think that the sensor may have been hanging around for gawd knows how long before sold I'm wishing that the TPS could be totally deleted from the ECU..think it might be possible but would probably need kia to do it..another thing also springs to mind as well..how would this affect a future MOT when the tpms light didnt pop up on the dash when the car is started..

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
From previous threads KIA expect about 10 years of life in normal driving - if they last only 5 years then KIA are going to have a warranty nightmare on their hands.

The batteries are not replaceable but this system is not unique to KIA so I fully expect there will be a few businesses taking TPMS sensors apart and refurbing them. There is no drain on the battery when the wheel is not rotating so shelf life should not be an issue.

If the TPMS is not operating, or showing a fault then this will be an MoT failure.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well here is a strange one for you..wasnt the whole sensor acually that had to be replaced it was actually the stem..what happened was the company who sold me the car who are around 260 miles away fitted a new tyre to my venga to get through the mot..they did a handsome job by also screwing up the little inner valve in the stem so it could not be removed..they fitted a ditch finder on the car and I didnt want that on there so that's how it was discovered when a new tyre was fitted in its place ..kia wanted £15 for a genuine part I found on ebay for a fiver which was also a genuine part and thats why the stem needed replacing..the rest of the story is history done and dusted..no good crying over spilt milk but wasn't happy at the time..I might do a little research on these sensors and see what I come up with..another point on the MOT front is that they are bolted onto the rim of the wheel unlike a steel wheel..so if the tester didn't see the tpms light on the dash ahd rubber valves were fitted to the alloys then would he assume that TPMS was not a programed part of the system..before I had the stem fitted I drove around with a rubber valve on the front wheel on my Venga..certainly wasnt gonna take a chance that it might suddenly deflate and wreck a new continental..and in all of that time the tpms light went out at start up..now there is one to ponder on..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Same happened to me. Try overinflating by about 5 psi then reduce to correct pressure, worked for me :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
One of mine has come on just once, I topped up the tyre to 2 PSI over the recommended pressure and then let it back to what I wanted. By the time I had driven off of the forecourt it had reset. No problems since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts