Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Stinger 2020 Ember Orange
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my car is only on 1300 miles and bought as ex-demo in Jan this year with only 370 on it
o/s front tyre losing pressure slowly and needs topping up every 3 or 4 days
Although my service last week had to be rescheduled I went in anyway to get the tyre looked at (Snows Guildford) who have less than impressed me on my first ever experience with them
They looked at it, stated no damage evident so nothing they could do. Naturally I started to see red and suggested they re seat the tyre on the wheel in case that was the cause as doing nothing wasn't an option.
They claim they did so, although no evidence of the white sealant that is usually daubed all over a rim by fitters. They suggested I monitor it but in such a way as to imply it was down to me. Totally unsatisfactory
It can only be a faulty or punctured tyre, faulty valve or porous/cracked wheel. As they have declared no damage evident it has to be down to a faulty part which should be under warranty
Contacted the supplying dealer who said it didn't have any puncture repairs in the 4 months they had it but it was odd that they supplied it to me with 41psi all round. Maybe it leaked from day one and their service dept just over-filled it to reduce the frequency of topping up? Their After Sales manager said Snows could contact him to discuss if there's an issue
So I have emailed the Snows Service Mgr to ask him to intervene in time for my rescheduled service visit in a few weeks.
As far as I am concerned they need to replace one or all of the 3 components under warranty until it is fixed

Anyone else experienced pressure loss with no damage? I recall hearing about some car's tyres sometimes having bad castings and being porous. I think the Audi RS6 was prone. So I am wondering if this has been an issue here?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Very quick update - Snows Service Manager has replied already (within 30 mins of sending email) in a positive way so hopefully it won't turn into a saga.

·
Super Moderator
4,312 Posts
although no evidence of the white sealant that is usually daubed all over a rim by fitters.

That white stuff is not sealant. It is lubricant (usually cheap washing up liquid mixed with water) to aid the bead slipping over the rim (y)

If you do not get anywhere. go to a local tyre fitter (not one of the big groups) and get them to put the wheel in a water bath, unless they can see the issue 1st (nail etc)

Reactions: phil866

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure. Just trying to get it resolved at zero cost to me given one of the main attractions for me of this car was its warranty. But I agree, a dedicated tyre fitter would probably diagnose it better. That said, Snows did say they water bathed it. It is a very slow leak so maybe they don't show so easily

·
Registered
583 Posts
Avoid tyre fitters if you can. Recipe for damaged rims. Same with the dealer, as I learnt to my cost!

A wheel refurb place that also sorts punctures might be the answer. They care for wheels properly. I’d just take it to one of them. Might be cheaper in the long run than the time you lose trying to lose getting the dealer to sort it.

Good luck resolving, I feel your pain!

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,053 Posts
Try to get Kia to sort it as there are reports on here that Kia are refusing alloy wheel corrosion claims if they think the tyre has been removed by a third party.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good luck with getting a puncture repaired under warranty.... if it turns out to be a faulty rim warranty shouldn't be an issue

·
Registered
912 Posts
Ask any workshop how they intend to lift the car, and ensure they know where to place any jacks or lift arms.
take off the dust caps and spray leak finder spray on the valve stem, you may see it bubbling. in that case no jacking will be necessary.
I have experienced 3 slow leaking tyres , but that was 3 cracked valve stems on an older car. if you have leak finder spray, then spray the whole stem.
I guess you have ruled out sabotage/ pranks.

·
Registered
771 Posts
This one of those really irritating issues - hate them, hope you get it sorted.

Dunc is spot on about dealers messing with tyres - damage guaranteed! If the dealer does need to take the tyre off, make sure you make it clear to them what condition the wheel is in (and take pics) before they start! From experience, a high percentage of car damaged that I've had over the years has happened when the car has not been in my care!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Steve, I use these guys:

There’s one not too far from you in Farnham. They are expert at taking tyres on and off for obvious reasons.

My local franchise are fantastic and will mend punctures and put on new tyres, as well as doing wheel refurbs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve, I use these guys:

There’s one not too far from you in Farnham. They are expert at taking tyres on and off for obvious reasons.

My local franchise are fantastic and will mend punctures and put on new tyres, as well as doing wheel refurbs.
Thanks, will look into the Farnham place if I don't get very far with the Guildford dealer although the Service Mgr's response has reassured me a little that they will find fault. Will also look into the leak finding stuff on the valve stem as the situation became most apparent after I had jet washed the car for the first time. Maybe the jet wash somehow affected the slightly iffy valve stem? Possible
Btw, not expecting a puncture repair under warranty. But as dealer couldn't find any evidence of a puncture, whatever else it is should be warranted on a virtually new car. They stated themselves there was no evidence of any damage so they effectively admitted liability in that statement

·
Registered
912 Posts
for sure, the jet washing may have played a part on the valve stems, Just use slightly soapy water or even a household spray flask of a mild chemical on the stems and on the heads of the valves after you take the caps off. should be no bubbling at all. Soda, coffee anything will show a reasonable leak.
If you see nothing, then you could look for a can of proper leak finder which will reveal small leaks better.

It's possible a bad batch of stems is involved, or just the wrong size stem for that thickness of wheel.
seems more plausible than porous wheels or tyres.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts