Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’m shortly due to change my current Sportage for the GT Line, 2.0 CRDi, 48v. I understand the battery used for the mild hybrid takes up a big chunk of the boot space, so no spare wheel of any sort just the “Tyre Mobility Kit”
I’ve seen YouTube videos on how these work but I just wondered if any forum members had actually used one in real life and what was the experience like.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Can't stand them. I was left stranded for hours waiting for AA after the kit on an old car failed to allow inflation of the tire. They seem rubbish for anything but slow punctures.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
I class them as useless would not even seal a slow puncture on my wheel barrow tyre

·
Registered
374 Posts
I always buy a spare, full size if there is space to stow safely. Heard of too many people finding the glue kit useless.

Personally I have had no experience of the glue kit but I have had experience using the supplied electric pump on a neighbours car. The tyre was not punctured, a low life (or more probably a local delinquent) had removed the valve (it was on the drive at the side of the tyre), obviously had come prepared to do it. After about 5 minutes there was little sign of the tyre being inflated and after another 5 minutes the inflator motor burned out. Then lent him my trusty old footpump which did the job in well under 10 minutes. Took it back to the dealer who gave me one from another car but never used it. There is a warning not to use for more than 10 minutes on them but who reads labels.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replies, I understand the comments about getting a proper spare but there isn’t even room for a space saver because of the extra battery.
Having had two punctures in the last couple of years I wish I’d thought of this issue before I opted for the 48v model, doh.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Having had two punctures in the last couple of years I wish I’d thought of this issue before I opted for the 48v model, doh.
If you have not got the car yet can you change the order?

Not owned a hybrid but several users at work had them (Toyota Auris) and found them little different to their non hybrid cars mpg wise. But for business users there was a large saving to be had tax wise so they did make a bit of sense.

·
Super Moderator
2,202 Posts
If you have not got the car yet can you change the order?

Not owned a hybrid but several users at work had them (Toyota Auris) and found them little different to their non hybrid cars mpg wise. But for business users there was a large saving to be had tax wise so they did make a bit of sense.
There was news item about this in the press the other week. About how business users were not getting the perceived MPG. Turned out that on plug-in hybrids. They were not plugging them in to charge up. As that cost them money..

·
Registered
244 Posts
if you can not fit a spare in, i would keep the phone number of mobile tyre fitters handy. may be quicker than waiting for your breakdown provider to arrive and then tow you. at least you could carry on your journey after.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I’m on my 4th Sportage & only had one slow puncture on the last KX4 I had.
(I’ve put the curse on it now)
Thankfully, TPMS gave me enough warning to take the car to a tyre repair shop.
I now have GTLS 48V with no spare what’s so ever, but to be honest I’m not worried about.
I did use the inflator pump on my mates Porche, because his burn’t out when he had to use the gunk on a puncture he had. Pump was great and you could read the pressure gauge when it was running. On his one he said he had to stop it to read the pressure.
He ran around for weeks with that stuff in his tyre.
Thats my only experience with using a mobility kit.

·
Registered
308 Posts
There was news item about this in the press the other week. About how business users were not getting the perceived MPG. Turned out that on plug-in hybrids. They were not plugging them in to charge up. As that cost them money..
I read something similar a few months back. That being, something like 40% of pih drivers hadn't even taken the lead out of the factory plastic bag. Its all about the tax break!

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Been told by a family member in the trade that gunge also cause TPMS to need replacing as screws them up operating.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looked at an ex demo 48v mild Hybrid, looked in the boot and saw no spare or room for one, closed the boot and said no thank you. Afraid it's a big no no for me, just will not have a car without a spare. Experience of blow up kits has caused it, they are useless, don't know why manufacturers bother with them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Looked at an ex demo 48v mild Hybrid, looked in the boot and saw no spare or room for one, closed the boot and said no thank you. Afraid it's a big no no for me, just will not have a car without a spare. Experience of blow up kits has caused it, they are useless, don't know why manufacturers bother with them.
Cost, weight/emissions? I'm guessing the low usage rate of the kits means negative feedback remains low. Can't see anyone choosing a kit, even over a space saver. I'd rather change a wheel on a motorway than have to mess about with one of those again. The space saver I forced into the original car purchase won't fit over my front calipers but I still prefer that to a tub of goop.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Not really a good idea to change a drivers side wheel on a motorway,I’d rather wait for a rescue/breakdown truck.................than get killed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interestingly just looked at the specs of all the various Sportage models, every single one now comes with the bloody Tyre Mobility Kit.

·
Registered
172 Posts
According to the on line specification the temporary spare wheel is standard on the 1.6 T-GDi and 1.6 CRDi only. But the temporary spare wheel is still listed as an available accessory when you "build" your car so it is available, but the issue may be whether it will fit in the boot of a particular model. The battery in the mild hybrid models seems to preclude the spare for them, but have KIA done something to stop you carrying a spare under the boot floor in other models?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Not really a good idea to change a drivers side wheel on a motorway,I’d rather wait for a rescue/breakdown truck.................than get killed.
Understand the sentiment but all actions have their risks: Waiting for roadside assistance increases the duration of exposure; replacing o/s wheel reduces the duration but increases the risk. Never an easy choice. I suppose the lowest risk option is to leave the car and get over the crash barrier if you can......and it is not peeing down or blowing a hoolie or depriving brass monkeys.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts