Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i'm new to the forum so am just finding my way around at the moment, but have been picking up usefull info about my 2006 2.0 CRDi XS. Some thing i've not come across in much detail though is tyre advice. She's currently shod with Bridgestone duellers which are fine but will need replacing by the end of the summer i would think. ( are these factory standard fitment?? )
Any info on which tyres to go for/avoid based on your previous experiences would be great and also how they faired during the last two winters of heavy snow.

The car will be used to tow a caravan but also be used as an everyday vehicle. Many thanks in advance people, Super.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Based on my 2006 Sportage 4x4 EX definitely avoid Nankang tyres, I have since got Uniroyal Street 4x4 tyres and they did very well last winter in the snow here, they are good in the dry and exceptional in the wet. :)

I keep mine at 32psi all round too, fyi.

Rotate the tyres regularly to keep them for longer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 2010 Sportage was suppied with Hankook tyres and after 13,000 miles they are wearing well. Wet weather performance has been good under heavy braking and hard acceleration. Ford also fit Hankook as OEM and my FordFusion is on it's second set of Hankook tyres and I really like them. Very competative on price which makes them even more attractive.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My tyres are Optimo K406. Tyre size is 235/60r16.

My fusion runs on Optimo K415 tyresEdited by: GMac

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

I've been using Sunny SN3800 tyres on my 2006 Sportage 2.0 XS diesel, including towing a caravan and driving in last winter's heavy snow.

I was wary as they are very cheap tyres but 2 years and 20,000 miles later no problem so far and the tread pattern looks pretty nice on them

·
Registered
82 Posts
What kind of milage are you guys getting from your tyres? My OEMhankook tyres are nearly at 17000 miles and look like around 20k is going to be their limit.
Anybody getting higher than 20K on their tyres? I dont think performance is going to be the most important factor in choosing my next tyres as cost per mile is going to more important if I have to change them every 20k,which equates to16 months running.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've managed 17k miles on Bridgestone Duellers 487 and they still have 4 - 5 mm left....however the cheap chinese tyres on the other axle (sorry, make escapes me now) were down to the legal minimum (this is despite rotation) having had around 6 mm when the Bridgestones were fitted.
I decided the best bet with another Scottish winter looming was to replace the full set (I've kept the Bridgestones though with the thought of refitting them for the summer to the front axle - £30 inlcuding balancing) and I've gone for Vredestein Quatrac 3 SUVs which are all season tyres with M&S, snowflake and mountain icons. I've had a very good experience with Quatrac 3s on another car...the SUV version has an extra block of tread and an extra layer of rayon in the construction. They certainly look the part and are noticeably quiet on the road (new tread though - 8 mm in places). I'll let you know how they wear and handle in snow (next month according to one long range forecast!).

·
Registered
82 Posts
I already splashed out on a set of yokohama W Drive tyres for the winter.I have not got them on the car right now as they are on a spare set of wheels. Cost me more than I hoped to spend at £121.00 each from Blackcircle.com,but there are very few options available and winter tyres seem to cost more generally. Local garages only have one main brand in stock,typically Dunlops, and thats it.
My hankooks are still legal at 19K so I may squeeze a bit more than 20k out of them. I don't normaly run tyres down to the limit but I can't afford to waste rubber at these prices.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can get Federal SDL ss657 tyres - 265 x 60 R16 100H fitted at ATS for £86 each thats everything included. It is a budget tyre but has a thick tread for extra wear and tear. Gonna give them a try

·
Registered
82 Posts
It will be interesting to see how you get on with some budget tyres. They are bound to be better than branded all season tyres in the snow but I was put off by poor reviews for things like noise level and wet weather grip on various reveiw sites.If you drive within the speed limits it is possible that you may not notice any deficiencies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fitted Continental Conti Winter Contact 215/65R16 this week. Read up on reviews and made the decision based on auto express tyre test. No real test yet in extreme conditions. Dry weather handling has been great and no real change in noise levels. On wet cold roads I found they handle very well indeed thought not really pushed or tested yet. Early this morning had -2 and ice on road. Noticeable difference in grip and especially when breaking - tried it on a particularly exposed car park close by that had white coating of ice. Will report back when I get to try them in sub-zero, greasy and snow conditions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts