Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Super Moderator
Such is life.
I saw it on a u-tube video & was not so sure. But it does have a couple of up sides, such as different user profiles.

Can't update mine as yet anyway. But it will have to go to it, as I want the wireless Android Auto, and it is part and parcel of the same update, just the same as getting any map update will change it to the new "Magenta" system.

Registered
Has anyone tried to input Lats and Longs into the satnav? On the previous version, there was a special "coordinate input" screen, but now it's combined into the general search. Using decimal degrees, e.g. 53.123456, -1.23456 is possible (though painful as the punctation for "." and "-" are now on a different screen), but the deg/min/sec input has so far beaten me (several hours of trial and error!).

Registered
Such is life.
I saw it on a u-tube video & was not so sure. But it does have a couple of up sides, such as different user profiles.

Can't update mine as yet anyway. But it will have to go to it, as I want the wireless Android Auto, and it is part and parcel of the same update, just the same as getting any map update will change it to the new "Magenta" system.

Nice honest review of the new update.

Registered
Has anyone tried to input Lats and Longs into the satnav? On the previous version, there was a special "coordinate input" screen, but now it's combined into the general search. Using decimal degrees, e.g. 53.123456, -1.23456 is possible (though painful as the punctation for "." and "-" are now on a different screen), but the deg/min/sec input has so far beaten me (several hours of trial and error!).
There's a thread over on Speak EV about it ...

Registered
e-niro 4+ 2021
@iooi I don't think wireless android auto is part of the update. If it was, it would be worth it.
I got my 2021 4+ a week ago and I can categorically state Android auto isn't wireless AND they still haven't made it widescreen, so you still have the right hand side of the screen filled with a useless 'Android Auto' logo. I wouldn't mind if it were an option to move this to the left hand side of the screen but, as ever, us that drive on the left have to suffer!

Registered
Not sure people are aware of the requirements on the phone to support wireless AA?

1) Android 11;
2) 5GHz radio (wifi) on the phone which has been CERTIFIED within the EU (this means the UK as well as its actually ETSI not the EU) for wireless operation within a car;
3) Active data plan.

I'm not aware of any phones other than Google Pixel and some Samsung devices which will work wirelessly with Android 9/10.

There are vanishingly few phones certified for 5GHz use in a car....

Registered
e-niro 4+ 2021
Not sure people are aware of the requirements on the phone to support wireless AA?

1) Android 11;
2) 5GHz radio (wifi) on the phone which has been CERTIFIED within the EU (this means the UK as well as its actually ETSI not the EU) for wireless operation within a car;
3) Active data plan.

I'm not aware of any phones other than Google Pixel and some Samsung devices which will work wirelessly with Android 9/10.

Kia also don't advertise wireless AA, although they do wireless CP. So I still think it's not there..

Registered
They're on the list of supported platforms but that obviously depends on hardware/firmware on specific vehicles and the region of the world they're in. They certainly have cars in the USA using wireless AA but its simple there as there's no DFS requirements in that band in North America. Well there are but you just don't use those channels. That's not an option in Europe.

Basically the 5GHz wifi band co-exists with airport ground radar/weather radar/various military comms and hence there's a requirement that if you detect "radar" then you must change channel immediately. The frequencies and usage varies from country to country in the ETSI (Europe) region - they all have military comms in that band.

In addition to that there is a requirement to "listen" for radar before using the channel - that "dwell time" ranges from 60 seconds to 10 minutes. So no nav for 60-600 seconds potentially.

The tl;dr is that its harder to comply with ETSI standards in the 5GHz band as cars are classed as "outdoor" transmitters and hence MUST be certified for DFS operation unless they can control client (your phone) power levels. If you can reduce the power levels enough then you can use C36-48 where there's no DFS. AFAIK that is where Android 11 comes in.....

AA is harder to support because of the many Android devices in circulation. Its not a monopoly like Apple devices where you can certify easily enough by not emitting enough power to end up in DFS hell.

I put the post up as I'm pretty sure the majority of people using AA have no clue at all what the requirements are for the phone to use wireless operation. Over 85% of people (according to Alphabet/Google) have no idea what version of Android their phone/tablet is running :)

Edit - Dynamic frequency selection - Wikipedia for anyone wondering what DFS is.

Super Moderator

1) Android 11;
3) Active data plan.

Both my Huawei phones have the 5GHz option already. just need Kia to update the head unit. So like US & Canada we can use the facility.
Pretty sure a couple of users are already using it on 2021 cars.

Some phones may require you to enable "developer mode" to be able to activate somme settings. Same in Android Auto.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.