Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, 2 year service today - major service including brake fluid.

Everything good, apart from rear tyres down to 2mm, but I knew that!

In relation to the sunroof rattles, Kia technical have asked them to grease the front door seals - yes, I know, and the service staff and probably the master tech were chuckling too.

They have already told Kia that this has not solved the issue and I am booked in for a few days (with courtesy car) at the end of March. I await Kia technical’s expert next guess......

The only other thing I was worried about was front pad wear, but these are only still at only 60% worn after 19200 miles. Pretty pleased with that as new front pads are well north of £300 fitted for the pair. Yes, you read that right, just the pads!

I called my Indy this morning as they only ever fit Brembo pads anyway, and they discovered that only Kia can source Stinger brake pads at the moment. How convenient. So, my Indy can source and fit them for £336 (incl VAT). Eek!

Oh well, it’s a fast, heavy car, so it is what it is.

The roof isn’t too bad at the moment due to the cool weather and rain, so just hoping it’s sorted or improved before summer. I am listening to the radio or tunes 90% of the time anyway, so can put up with it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I know that EBC have a disc and pad kit for the Stinger (not had to replace yet) but every time I have looked they out of stock. It was all out of stock this week when i looked. I am guessing they manufacture in very small quantities due to the very small volume they will sell. Hoping they are in stock when mine need doing!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yes, pads very expensive. Mine was booked in today to look at the brakes due to the uneven wear which was highlighted in Dec at my last service, but I cancelled it as it's not essential to go now and the car isn't going out much. They'll look at it when it's in for it's next service, although I am slightly worried that the longer I wait, the less likely (if indeed it was ever actually likely!) it will be that Kia agree to pay towards the 50% worn brake pads that had to be binned due to the other side being worn down.

It's true about there not being many 3rd party parts for the Stinger, I found this out the hard way with my exhaust!

Door seals to fix the roof - classic! I went round all the rubber bits with lubricant on mine a couple of weeks ago, but like you say Dunc, the weather means it's hard to tell.

·
Registered
Kia Stinger 2020 Ember Orange
70 Posts
It'll be interesting to see when I need pads as I am typically very light on the brakes with all my cars over the years. hardly ever needed pads done. My wife used to have company cars which I drove harder and did more miles in than my own and I think typically they would last 60k miles on me. With the Stinger I am using the engine to brake even more as a way of avoiding the GPF light coming on. I read here or elsewhere that was the best way of clearing the particulates out, overrun from highish speeds

I wonder if the way Brembos perform better is by using softer pad material?

Definitely worth exploring alternative brands on the US Stinger forums as they have far more Stinger experience than here, especially amongst the 'tuning' fraternity

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Steve. Guess I would to do this via my Indy. Kia probably wouldn’t touch them.

Had another suggestion from Pistonheads:

‘You can buy brembo pads for the stinger from rock auto in the US for about $50 , plenty of performance options available also’

Would any of these pads be noticeably different from OEM would be the obvious question?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Interesting reading, so I always use Mintex brake pads for my road & race cars and always found them to be better all round. Looking on there site they seem to be making/designing some for all specs of the Stinger.
My Mitsubishi Evo had Brembo's fitted as standard (same spec as Ferrari F40) they were really poor for road use but pads lasted well due to being hard, transformed the cars braking when changed to mintex.
Sometimes you wonder if car manufacturer go to a name supplier and buy something off the shelf without truly testing the product and just fit them because they are Brembo for advertising?
When you think Hyundai i30n use Hyundai sourced brakes and paint them red.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts