Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

regarding turning off the auto AC (when turning the heater direction to any windscreen related direction), I have found that on my 09 Rio this mode cannot be turned off.

I tried the following :-

turn heater direction to windscreen (note the AC will turn on).
turned on and off the air recirculation button four times.

I then turned the heater direction to the floor and then back to the windscreen.

The AC still comes on when the heater direction is pointed to any windscreen combination.

So does anyone know how to turn it off ?

It may be the case that only the 2011+ Rios can have this done.
If so then ho hum I will accept but it is annoying.

Edited by: diddy1234

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,233 Posts
Hi diddy1234, you need to press the recirculation button at least 5 times within 3 seconds.
'1) Turn the fan speed the "0" position.
2) Turn the mode selection knob to the defrost position.
3) Push the recirculated air position button at least 5 times within 3 seconds
Then the indicator light in the recirculated air position button will blink 3 times with 0.5 second of an interval. Follow the same proceedure to restore.'

Hope that sorts it!

Phil

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i tried the above instructions and this had no effect.

the air con still comes on when the direction of the heater is set to the windscreen.

i did try woth both the engine running and ignition only.

if it helps my rio is the black edition.

any ideas?

·
Registered
139 Posts
i turned mine off on my venga 2 engine was running at the time demist windows and fan on hit the recerc button 4 times pretty quick and off it went hope this helps

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried again the instructions phil866 suggested and these did not work.

Any other ideas ?

If it cannot be done then fine, but I had been reading that it can be done.
Is it only Rio's of a certain age that this can be done with ?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm. i have tried with the fan on and off.

it cant be as simple as fan speed setting can it?

i tried with the fan on 0 and 1. nothing higher though

·
Registered
249 Posts
They are built to work like that. When set to windscreen /demist the a/c comes on to prevent the screens misting up by removing the moisture that causes it to form. Most vehicles are made that way these day , even those with manual a/c.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi guys,

Here is an alternative combination to try. It's taken from a 2012 Rio 3

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the instructions.

unfortunatley i think that must be for the newer rio.

mine is the mark 2 rio and i only have the a/c button and recirculation button.

i think i will just live with it for now as it is fine

·
Registered
487 Posts
diddy1234 said:
thanks for the instructions.
unfortunatley i think that must be for the newer rio.
mine is the mark 2 rio and i only have the a/c button and recirculation button.

i think i will just live with it for now as it is fine

it should work that way brother, nothing to worry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just turned mine off on 1.1 Air
Turned ignition on
Turned fan to 1
Turned control to windscreen and aircon turned on
Pressed recirculation button 5 times, light flashed a few times and now aircon does not turn on when control turned to windscreen
Tried same again and it turned back on

·
Registered
54 Posts
On my 1.5CRDI 08 model I used to turn heater to windscreen A/C came on, all I did was to turn A/c off and it worked fine.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2012 Rio 3 with Climate Control.
I can STOP the auto-demist function by holding down the AUTO button (LHS) and stabbing the Front demist paddle below 4 times in 2 seconds (whatever). However this only seems to work for the current journey - You have to repeat it each time you use the car!! The car appears to be defaulting the auto-demist function ON - and, good as it is tends, to stay on for the whole journey to the detriment of the miserable (and below spec) fuel economy.

If anyone know a way of changing the default setting I would be pleased to hear it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I followed the procedure in the owners manual and the auto defog was switched offUnfortunately this had to be done every time put the key in the ignition!

It does seem silly on a car boasting about the MPG that the default setting is to run with a/c on! i do a 70 mile trip and was having to have a/c on when it was 5C out side !!

·
Registered
358 Posts
My '07 Rio diesel has been unresponsive to all these fixes. Has anyone put an inline switch in the circuitry to "cure" this issue? I'll certainly want to try this fix regardless of it having been done before or not but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone can point me to the correct wire(s) to tap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had my Rio 3 into Kia for a weekend to cancel the A/C in auto front defog.
As has been said - the handbook does tell you how to switch it off but it also implies that this is permanent fix and has to be redone if you want it to revert to the original setting. After confirming with the Kia main office this was found to be inaccurate and was told the handbook is wrong and will be either reprinted or they may do a software update in the future.
It is worth mentioning to your garage whenever your Rio is in for service/repairs to check for software updates.

Dave

·
Registered
358 Posts
My garage is on the end of my drive.
I'm strictly a DIY man. Having built a twin turbo v8, spaceframed Reliant Kitten in the past, most jobs are within my reach. Plus I hate paying others to do something I can do myself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.