Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Niro has active lane assist. Useful sometimes but annoyingly it comes on as default every time you switch on. My previous Niro had it but you had to activate it if you needed it. I have scrolled through the menu and 'unchecked' it but it still comes on automatically. How can I deactivate it apart from having to remember to press the button every time?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Sorry, the default for current models in Europe is Lane Keep Assist on. Even if the driver deactivates the function in the cluster menu, it reverts back to 'on' at the next start up. We're unable to change this but have already forwarded feedback about this functionality to our technical / product teams.

KCS

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Even if the driver deactivates the function in the cluster menu, it reverts back to 'on' at the next start up. We're unable to change this but have already forwarded feedback about this functionality to our technical / product teams. KCS
I have to say that I find that shocking. In my car, I am able to disable that feature in the preferences menu which seems eminently sensible to me. For the feature to default to 'On' is tiresome for those, like me, who dislike the unsolicited steering inputs and the dubious sense of an artificial intelligence at work while my hands are on the steering wheel.

Those who are comfortable with that 'assistance' would have no difficulty in selecting it as the default preference in their cars and that is how it works in my Optima. When the time comes for fully driverless motoring, I shall no doubt adjust to that new type of motoring but until then, I'd like to steer my car all by myself.

In the meantime, the KIA models with that feature will not be on my potential purchase list.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sorry, the default for current models in Europe is Lane Keep Assist on. Even if the driver deactivates the function in the cluster menu, it reverts back to 'on' at the next start up. We're unable to change this but have already forwarded feedback about this functionality to our technical / product teams.

KCS
Can I just clarify your statement? I am considering a change to a 2019 Sportage and have already been to the dealers for some quotes. If I go ahead will I be buying a car that has Lane Keep Assist always active? This is something I may have to take into consideration.

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK, but WHY?

Someone, somewhere within Kia must have taken a conscious decision to do it that way. Please find them and ask them what the reason is, because I can't think of any.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
It could be a simple coding error - a 1 instead of a 0 in the startup defaults array.

To the OP: If you cover the camera LKA will not work. On my Sportage this will also disable the SLIF so a bit of a trade off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts