Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just started, Some times with my automatic sedona when gear lever in neutral or park, a single click. Will do this several times. A single click and nothing.Then turn key and a normal start.
Suggestions where to check?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi, My Sedona is manual - but also run a vauxhall Omega Auto and before I can start in either P or N I must have foot on brake pedal - check your hand book to see if this is the same!

·
Registered
19 Posts
May sound like a dumb question but can you lads tell me where the starter is located on the engine (to explain , my starter is clicking and probably needs an ebay kit and its p---ing rain outside and I dont want to spend the next 15 mins looking for it, I suspect its under the air box ??)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rain just stopped
found the bugger underneath the turbo

looks hard to get at ???

any tricks or advice on how to remove, with just a very quick look it looks like a job to be tackled from under the car ????

How many bolts etc ?????

·
Registered
19 Posts
Done
All Good

New ish battery

sound of clicking coming from starterand you can feel the clicking if you put your hand on the starter when the key is turned.

Just a bit concerned that I have no garage or ramps all I have is a jack and axle stands and if its an awkward bugger to get in and out if you are lying on your back underneath.

·
Registered
702 Posts
2 bolts 2 leads take out from under the car not too bad to do , get the car as high as possible and don't forget the stands under it before you are

·
Registered
19 Posts
Starter reconditioned working perfect
Put it back in the car last night , same as before clicking like mad
It must be a bad earth
Does any one know where I might start to look for a bad earth.
I have checked the battery connections and the battery itself is new and the starter is fine, so where do I look????
Any ideas would be a great help

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Try connecting a jump lead from negative/earth on battery to a good clean metal part on engine. If this cures the problem then you have either a broken earth lead going to engine or a weak connection.
If thats the case run a heavy earth wire from negative on battery to the engine.
This was a problem on my van.
Edited by: davy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Heres the latest

Tried the jump lead earth with no change

It can only be the battery (which is new)and it was the battery, as flat as a pancake and I didnt know how or why.

It turns out that if I start the car and just leave it idle the battery is being drained it does not seem to charge until you rev or drive the car.

Does anyone know if there is any reason for this, does the alternator only send charge back to the battery above a certain rpm ?

Is it a regulator sticking ?

I am totally confused, am I missing something or is this a trait of a sedona,

any ideas or sugestions would be most welcome

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Could be a voltage regulator problem in the alternator. You would need to get it tested both for voltage output at idle and the amps its kicking out. If there is nothing at idle but charges at a faster speed then I would tend to lean toward a regulator pack which may have the brush pack built in to it.
How many miles has the car done ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
car has only done 54,ooo klms I know thats only 33000 miles , sounds very low but I did a very extensive history check and it all checks out fine.
The car was lying idle for the last few months (6) untill I bought it last month and I am just wondering is there some thing sticking in the electrics that stops it charging at idle speed.

Will have the output checked at idle speed and let you all know

1 - 14 of 14 Posts