Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I have a 2013 sportage 1.7 CRDi , I had a problem with smoke out the exhaust and the car started to run like s##t , took it to the garage and was told we needed a new turbo , this was done at a high cost, we got the car back and it was still smoking, was told it was burning off the oil ! It never stopped so we took it back and have now been told it’s something or other that’s pushing oil back in ?? and was advised to get rid ? I haven’t got a clue what they are on about and I think I am being conned , can anyone advise me please as we are desperate

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
761 Posts
Hi , I have a 2013 sportage 1.7 CRDi , I had a problem with smoke out the exhaust and the car started to run like s##t , took it to the garage and was told we needed a new turbo , this was done at a high cost, we got the car back and it was still smoking, was told it was burning off the oil ! It never stopped so we took it back and have now been told it’s something or other that’s pushing oil back in ?? and was advised to get rid ? I haven’t got a clue what they are on about and I think I am being conned , can anyone advise me please as we are desperate
Sorry to hear this.

Some more information would help people here help you. How many miles has the car on the clock? Where did have the repair work done, was it by a Kia dealer or a back street workshop? Does the car run any better since the turbo was replaced? Did you have a new turbo or a used one fitted? What exactly have the garage said the problem is now?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for you quick reply , as you can probably tell I am clueless about cars ! It is my partners and she has disability and really needs this car .
It has done 120.000 miles and once he fitted the turbo it drove fine and still does as far as I know but it does have a lot of smoke about the back , not all the time though, the mechanic told us it was something to do with the engine and some sort of valve/ hose that was pushing the oil bak in ? I haven’t a clue what he is on about . He said the engine is quite likely to fail and to get rid as soon as possible he also said there is no way of knowing about this problem until you fit the new turbo first .
He is a friend of my neighbours and I have known him for a few years and he does have his own business/ repair shop .

·
Registered
385 Posts
Was it a recon turbo? Scrap turbo or new?
Smoke usually caused by oil being burnt.
Oil can either be getting in from the turbo, or from worn piston rings, valve seats. Did they do a compression test for the latter?

Smoky exhaust is not good for sensors, or DPF.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a recon one , he said he tested it and it was fine , my other half said she thinks he mentioned piston rings , I have already argued the point with him about fitting a turbo and charging us £1000 and then it still not being fixed but he said the problem is he had to fix the turbo and he wouldn’t have known until then , I really haven’t got a clue what he is on about , thanks for replying

·
Registered
385 Posts
Compression test could easily have been done before replacing turbo. If that failed, then no point going downstream and replacing turbo without resolving the more costlier fix first.

·
Registered
151 Posts
as anybody mentioned EGR valve they can cause smoke. What colour is the smoke. Blue is oil .Black unburnt fuel. White is water getting to the cylinders. Is he a proper mechanic ? If it is the EGR valve it should be black smoke.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Blocked egr less likely to cause black smoke, but also easier to check..
It would fail emissions test, and trigger check engine light, rough idle, poor performance.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Check if they cleaned out the intercooler, egr, egr cooler, inlet manifold and pipes?
If the turbo was leaking oil, all these will still be contaminated with oil and crud which will still cause black smoke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.