Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

1st post and hopefully someone can help.
I have a 2012 Kia Ceed 1.6 cdti, bought in 2017 and it's has been without issue since purchase until last Sunday, when the 'Check engine' light came on, flashing. I had been driving on motorway... when I took my exit and took foot off the throttle, that's exactly when light came on and had no boost.

Plugged in a VCDS cable I have for a Skoda and used the OBDII capability of Vagcom to check for DTC's.
3 codes came up:
P0404 - EGR
P12BF - Not sure what this code is for
P0299 - Turbo Boost pressure

I didn't suspect the Turbo, so that night, I went ahead and dismount EGR and EGR cooler to give them a good cleaning and check for anything obvious. As expected, plenty of carbon build up but nothing major.... valve itself wasn't really smooth moving but again, not too bad.
Anyway, cleaned everything, put it all back, cleared DTC's and took it out for a spin once warmed up.
All seemed fine for a few mins, but hadn't really put any load on it. When I started to put load on, I could feel the boost, then all of a sudden I heard a release of air pressure in the Turbo area and light was back on flashing.
Plugged in again to check DTC, this time just 1 DTC:
P0299 - Turbo boost pressure

It was so late, I just took it home and parked it up, thinking the turbo was gone.... however the more I thought about it, the more I felt the Turbo itself was fine.

Anyway today I went out to look around the Turbo for anything obvious and there staring at me (or not staring at me at all) was the lack of any V-Band clamp between the turbo compressor and turbine and straight away thought this was my problem.
See attached picture of my turbo compared to a turbo unit on e-bay.

Took it out again this afternoon for a short spin after clearing the DTC... very little boost available, and as the boost was increasing, I could hear air escaping.
Have no idea how, if this is the problem, this has only caused an issue now, given that I have had the car for 3 years

Does this sound like the likely issue here and if so, can anyone point me in the right direction for buying one of these V-Band clamps?

Some pictures attached for reference:

·
Registered
337 Posts
When myturbo went there was lots of smoke, and no power.
Suggest you search this site for the company that have been advertising just recently to repair turbos while you wait I am sure they can help you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ratboiler....
However, I am 99% sure the turbo is fine.... with the V-Band clamp missing, thus not clamping the flange of the compressor to the flange of the turbine, most of the air exiting the compressor, is being lost between these 2 flanges, which is why I am not achieving proper boost.
My guess, is that the clamp came off when I lifted my foot off the accelerator when I was exiting the motorway though I can't find any signs of it.

If anyone had a part number for the V-Band clamp, or knew of one that would work, that would be great.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Looking at the photo only waste gate arm holding things together. I would source a v band clamp and give it a try as must be the cheapest item to fault find. As you haven't had the car from new it might had been removed in the past and fitted incorrectly or loose and just so happen broke loose or snapped?
Only time I have had a boost leak was the bottom clamp on intercooler which seems to rust away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks RichardB,

Issue now is trying to source the correct one. I'll go to my local dealer early in the week and see if they can point me in the right direction.
Can't seem to find anything online.

If all else fails I'll just have to try a generic one, going off the OD of the flanges.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks RichardB, much appreciated. Will get in touch with them and follow up here with results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brief update....
So it would appear my 1.6 Crdi turbo is manufactured by mitsubishi and further investigation identifies the V-Band clamp as a 58mm which does not appear readily stocked. Available for £25 online but will ring around on Monday.

·
Registered
924 Posts
If the clamp was not stainless then there is a good chance it rusted away. The last photo posted looks like a stainless clamp. The gap between the two halves of the joint on your turbo looks somewhat wide, perhaps some lubricant under the new vclamp during installation will facilitate a snug fit

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the responses....

So I figured out that the clamp diameter is 58mm, with the flange diameter being 56mm.

Some resellers of the clamp list it using the clamps diameter but more list it as the flange diameter that it is for use with...
The turbo is a Mitsubishi TD025 and this one is a correct replacement:

To get it ASAP, I rang a guy here in Dublin (turbo exchange) and asked if he had any. He had a quick look in his 'waste bin' and found one that had come off a ford focus... and got it for free on collection.

So, went about trying to fit it, but as suspected, the gap was too big for the band to fit.

Ended up having to take off the compressor housing with compressor/chra/turbine, then giving the flanges a good cleaning using a Dremel with wire brush attachment. Used cling film to cover up oil feed line, oil drain line, oil inlet and outlet. After cleaning up the flange of the turbine housing, I put a Hoover in there to try get anything that might have got in there during the clean up.

It was still a struggle to get it back on (a rubber mallet and 1m length of 2x1 timber was used along with a couple of F Clamps.
The trickiest part was trying to line up the 'keying' of the flanges... there is a 'dowel' on the turbine housing flange and a hole for that 'dowel' to slot into on the CHRA flange.

Finally got it all back together, making sure to prime the CHRA with some oil as anything that had been in there was mostly gone.

Cleared the fault and fired it up.
Getting a bit of turbo whistle that wasn't previously there, but don't think it is anything to be too concerned about.
Main thing is turbo is back to full boost and no faults.

Anyway, I hope this might be useful to someone in the future as I'm sure this is not just a once off.

Here a some pictures:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a trick of the light thankfully... I had rubbed my finger on a few of them, which clear off the carbon dust layer, making them look damaged in the pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts