Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Dealers can detect when either a tuning box has been fitted or a re-map done regardless of what some people say. Say goodbye to your 7 year warranty if detected.

As I always say, buy the right car in the first place rather than modifying the wrong one.

Paul

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It's not so much the warranty you have to worry about, but if you're in an accident and the insurance find out about it, you could end up in SERIOUS trouble if you haven't told them you have one fitted.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
You can easily sort the insurance by telling them, some may not be prepared to cover you, some may charge more, if you are extremely lucky your company may just note the mod and leave it at that. Believe me, insurance campanies have the technology to find evidence of modifications and get out of paying up.I have read it suggested on here not to bother and just remove the box if you are involved in an accident. OK, wifey is out in the car on a dark wet motorway and is involved in an accident through no fault of her own. Are you going to get her to remove the box and rewire the injectors whilst the Police and recovery crew look on, I know what my wife would say. What would be the point anyway, odds are there is a code somewhere on the ECU pointing to modifications having been made in the past.

All the fancy websites will tell you that the mods are untraceable but you would not expect them to say anything else would you.

Paul

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think it would be difficult to detect the use of a tuning box as all it does is fool the ECU in its sensor readings. Does the ECU have enough memory to store reams of unusual readings? But as you say Paul, are you actually going to be able to take the box off without anyone noticing after an accident? Unlikely.
Of course you could tell your insurance company, but it will almost certainly affect your premium. They look for any excuse to charge more.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
M4trundler

Most tuning boxes (if not all) simply increase the fuel pressure to put more fuel into the engine and theoretically increase performance. In real life things are not that simple. Extra fuel is bugger all use without the air to mix with it, just making the mixture richer is more likely to reduce power. To get more air in to mix with the extra fuel you either need to carry out head modifications and/or fit a bigger turbo. Some modern turbos have variable vane technology i.e. the pitch changes with the demand for air and is controlled by the ECU, I cannot believe that any tuning box would be clever enough to make those type of changes but some may be. If the changes the tuning box makes are outside the parameters set by the manufacturer fault codes will be generated that will be detected by the dealer when he plugs the car in at service even if you remove the box.They know what to look for and if you have any engine problems you will not have a warranty.

Paul

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Davy uses a tuning box on his Rio and seems to get good results with it. Of course, his is out of warranty, so he doesn't have to worry.
I agree about the sophistication (or lack of) of many of these boxes, they're probably little more than a resistor network connected to some suitable leads.

It is a bit of a worry if some fault code comes up and that invalidates your warranty! It might happen for some other reason which is not your fault! How do you prove a negative when there is no physical evidence?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Yep I do but I dont have it turned up much. Some people set them to the max setting and there is black smoke belching out the tail pipe which aint good for the engine. Obviously a lot of unburnt diesel.
Couple of the mates have got them on their G o l fs and dont have problems at all.
Had mine on now for a couple o years and had no problems with the running of the engine, gearbox, clutch or chewing up drive shafts and CVs. Its a bit sore on the front tyres but thats probably down to me being over enthusiastic with the fun pedal.
Its a cheap way of getting a bit more oomph out of yer buggy.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Fitting any tuning box or chip to a diesel fitted with a DPF is very unwise. Any changes to the factory setting may well create more soot/smoke as mentioned in Davy's post. This will undoubtably shorten the life of the DPF and at over £1000 a time for a replacement it would make me think twice. The Kia DPF is covered under the 7 year warranty but even using the correct oil is a condition of the warranty, having it serviced atan agent covers that bit.Should any fault occur and it becomes known the car has been modified bye bye DPF warranty and hello £1000+ bill.
They have had DPF's on the continent longer than us and there is lots of info from people who have had to remove tuning boxes/chips because of DPF problems on the interweb and I am not taking specifically about Kia's here. Most were assurred that all would be OK by the supplier but they would say that of course.

Darrylt's Sorrento will certainly have a DPF thus in my book don't do it.

Paul

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your replies. Sounds like a lot of people have looked into this thoroughly. My initial reaction was like being in front of the headmaster and being punished, but obviously you've taken the time and effort to look into this matter and for the responses i thank you.I was looking from an economy point of view not outright power, if i wanted power i'd have stuck with my previous car. But thats beside the point.
Thanks to Paul, Davy and M4trundler. Minds made up and am avoiding.
Regards Darryl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts