Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

I've recently started to suffer with starting problemswhen the truck (CRDi SE) has been left for more than about 12 hours between starts. It turns over okay, just fails to fire and then the battery starts to run-down, which hasresulted ina couple of jump starts.

I've been 'working around' the problem, by nipping out last thing at night, starting up, and letting it idle for a few minutes before bed. So far so good. (Also negligible cost!)

Obviously this isn't a long term solution, so I'm hoping for some clues here. I'm no mechanic, so felt a bit silly when the garage told me they couldn't fit new glow plugs as my truck doesn't have any...

I'm sure it's not just down to the cold weather.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

Wouldn't start again this morning, so called out the RAC man who 'boosted' me off. Had a brief chat about the state of the battery - which passedthe health-check he ran - and he said if it was his motor he would change the battery, given it's age. So I did.

However, the battery fitted at new was a 12v, 100Ah, CCA900A unit (Kia Rocket branded) which I haven't found anywhere, so I've gone withthe basic CCA720 the dealer (and my Googling) came up with as the standard part. That's over 20% less CCA though.

Let's see if this restores my usual reliability...

Apparently the engine DOES have glow plugs. But they only get used at temperatures below -20 degrees Celsius!

Edited by: mero14

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Day Three:
Half expecting there to be a problem, I put the multimeter on the battery this morning before attempting to start. Reading is 12.33v which I reckon to be about 70% state of charge. Now I hadn't been out on a long run with the new battery, so can't be sure whether this is simply showing me the genuine state it was left in.

When I tried to fire the engine, it turned over - but more weakly than I would expect it to sound from the off. Needless to say, it hasn't started.

Having checked the 'old' CCA900 battery in the house (and trickle charged back up), it is showing 12.80v, so at least I have a plan B.

* Intuition is telling me there is something causing the battery in the vehicle to slowly discharge when there should be no draw on it. No evidence yet though.....

Well, I have been able to jump the the truck off using the CCA900, so plan B worked and that's now back on trickle in case (when!) I need it again.

Now to get the CCA720 in the vehicle back up to 100% and then try to discover if there is any substance to my intuition.
Edited by: mero14

·
Registered
72 Posts
hi chap just a thought could your fuel none return system not be doing its job and leaving system un-pressurised this could effect the cranking of the battery as the system has to first pressure up and then open the fuel solenoids, just a thought been cold recently and diesel does thicken up in extremes.
hope this helps in some way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion cavking, I'll make a note.
TBH,what you saydoesn't mean much to me but does present another avenue of attack if my discharge theory proves fruitless.

The CCA720 is now fully charged, so let's see how it fairs in the morning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts