Kia Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Administrator
As a petrol auto Venga owner I assure you I wont be driving it to Scotland from Cardiff.....not unless I get a tow hitch fitted to tow the 250 gallon road bowser needed! :unsure:

Super Moderator
Just because we disagree, doesn't make me anti-ev, on the contrary I think they're an excellent solution for Sunday drivers and retirees, even better if they have a drive and generally only nip to the local big tescos. It still seems that the supporting infrastructure remains fragmented and unreliable. When something is done to bring the charging network up to standard, 90% of people will have no excuse not to go electric.
But some are 馃槺

TBH. As a retiree. I can not make a EV cost effective. As I have posted before. To buy one & run on my annual mileage is going to take years before I make it cost effective.
Yes I could by a cheaper one and make it work. But that is not what I want to do. I like my toys in the car & older ones are missing these.
O agree charging network need work to get it up to european standards. But a lot of that is down to too many companies involved and competing with each other.
It needs a simple method of payment just the same as we have with ICE. You fill up tap your card & off you go. None of this needing apps, or tags for the different brands.

Registered
Thoroughly agree regarding Tebay. And if you need to stop overnight use their hotel - it is excellent and not overpriced for m'way facilities. Excellent food also...
IIRC if you stay in the hotel/pay for overnight parking for lorry/caravan/etc they'll take 10p/litre off any fuel you buy along with a food discount/allowance.

The place has some decent dog walks as well, not particularly long but away from traffic.

Registered
But some are 馃槺

TBH. As a retiree. I can not make a EV cost effective. As I have posted before. To buy one & run on my annual mileage is going to take years before I make it cost effective.
Yes I could by a cheaper one and make it work. But that is not what I want to do. I like my toys in the car & older ones are missing these.
O agree charging network need work to get it up to european standards. But a lot of that is down to too many companies involved and competing with each other.
It needs a simple method of payment just the same as we have with ICE. You fill up tap your card & off you go. None of this needing apps, or tags for the different brands.
Yeah, the cost of buying an acceptable model is still a barrier for most but the apps to pay and unreliable equipment seems ridiculous. If I had any trust in our .gov I'd suggest a little bit of direction from them on sorting it but that will only lead to spurious dealings and zero value for money.

Registered
Back from our trip to Scotland in our Superb PHEV. Over the 1000 miles it averaged about 55 mpg and other than leaving home with a full battery there was no opportunity to charge locally. Compared to the same trip in a manual Superb with less power and less weight to carry its about 5mpg better so happy with that. Its about the same we got in the CRDI Ceed SW on the same trip which had about 1/2 the power and much less weight to carry around.

Regarding charging I had joined Charge Places Scotland before we went and the app showed several places close by Aviemore some of which are free. Since 3 of these are places we visit getting an hour or so free electric without having to make a special trip appealed. First place we visited had 2 charge points both of which the App sowed as "unknown", we checked when we got there and that is Scottish for buggered, a week later it appears its still the same. The local station has one in the car park, handy for when we are shopping. App showed "unknown", buggered when we looked. Final place supposedly has 3 points, a double and a single. All showed available. When we got there an MG5 EV was plugged into one so we parked next to it. Followed the instructions, light went blue, dash shoed it charging then it stopped and the light went red. Tried again but the APP showed it as "unknown", the MG still seemed to be charging. Looked for the single charge point which still showed as available but no sigh of it and the site owners had no idea where it was, gave up.

Spoke to the MG owner. Earlier in the day they had been in a state of panic. Charge point at hotel broken, the one at the station broken so they came to this site for a walk and meal while the car charged. But they had issues, after a short time they were notified charging had stopped but when they returned to the car all seemed OK. After our experience they were not too sure but were enjoying a meal when we left.

Just wonder if they actually got home.

Just looked that site with 3 chargers, all are now "unknown" so little opportunity to charge in the Aviemore area.

I love driving the Superb as an EV but there is no way on this planet I would buy an EV at present. Its simply daft with little or no infrastructure. PHEV's for us in the foreseeable future.

Registered
We have just returned from a road trip around (mostly) the west coast of Ireland in our 2008 Sportage 2.0 crdi auto.
Ferry from Stranraer to Belfast,visited the aviation museum at Long Kesh and then we drove over to the Donegal coast and down to Baltimore in 4 stages - staying over for 2 or 3 days at certain places and with some lovely boat and Ferry trips along the way.
We returned via Rosslare/Fishguard and then drove back to Perthshire via 2 steam railways (wales) and then cruised up the M6 @ 70mph when possible - 70mph in the 2.0 crdi does not cost any extra in mpg/range as it is cruising at approx 2000rpm
The old Sportage purred along like a traccor :),Hell - we had to spend all of 5 mins in a filling station every 4/5 days to refuel ;),I have not worked out exact mpg yet but likely to be 40mpg overall average in our nice and comfy old bus :)

Registered
We have just returned from a road trip around (mostly) the west coast of Ireland in our 2008 Sportage 2.0 crdi auto.
Ferry from Stranraer to Belfast,visited the aviation museum at Long Kesh and then we drove over to the Donegal coast and down to Baltimore in 4 stages - staying over for 2 or 3 days at certain places and with some lovely boat and Ferry trips along the way.
We returned via Rosslare/Fishguard and then drove back to Perthshire via 2 steam railways (wales) and then cruised up the M6 @ 70mph when possible - 70mph in the 2.0 crdi does not cost any extra in mpg/range as it is cruising at approx 2000rpm
The old Sportage purred along like a traccor :),Hell - we had to spend all of 5 mins in a filling station every 4/5 days to refuel ;),I have not worked out exact mpg yet but likely to be 40mpg overall average in our nice and comfy old bus :)
Lucky you - great round trip isn't it?

Reactions: maxaret

Super Moderator
This from a EV owner on the Kia EV Facebook group

Eat your heart out, Guy Martin!
We have started our Scottish adventure, with the first leg on Tuesday - 430 miles from South Suffolk up to Alexandria near Loch Lomond. Proper motorway speeds, with no issues apart from Gretna services, where the 2 old Electric Highway chargers didn't work. Ended up using Ionity.
About 7.5 - 8 hours, with 3 decent breaks for recharging, comfort breaks & refreshments, plus I hate driving more than 2.5 hours in one go.

Registered
21 - 29 of 29 Posts