Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other weekend we went up to Greenock from Peterborough. A distance of 344 miles. We left around 7am and arrived just before 4pm. We had a hour break for lunch and a couple of "wee" breaks. Left with a full tank and arrived with just over half a tank, the trip computer said I could do another 215 miles.
It would be interesting to hear how long it would take someone with an EV to do a similar trip.

Registered
It took you how long?

I did Leicester to Wemyss Bay back in May (looking at a business on Bute).

Total distance 326 miles from front door to ferry terminal. 5.5 hours including a half hour break. Left at 7am and caught the 13:05 ferry no problem. Admittedly it was all motorway apart from the A50 across to the M6 & the A80 but 9 hours for you seems somewhat high to say the least - did you hit a traffic jam or something?

Had around 15 litres left in the tank although the "guesstimate my range" indicator said that I could only do 50 miles.

Scotland is a lot better for EV charging than most of England - border region excepted for some reason.

Super Moderator
The other weekend we went up to Greenock from Peterborough. A distance of 344 miles. We left around 7am and arrived just before 4pm. We had a hour break for lunch and a couple of "wee" breaks. Left with a full tank and arrived with just over half a tank, the trip computer said I could do another 215 miles.
It would be interesting to hear how long it would take someone with an EV to do a similar trip.
Not a EV Owner as it's not cost efficient to me on my mileage.

Given you stopped for a hour. (how far into the trip would make a bit of a difference) I guess a EV could do it in the same time, given a fast charge point where you stopped for the hour.

The main time loss on a EV is when they charge over 80% as that is when the charge rate slows down. Some owners say that the last 20% can take longer than the 1st 80%
Which is why if you watch a lot of u-tube videos. Most only do a quick charge every so often in the fast charge range. Bj酶rn Nyland does a lot of long driving 1000 Km in EV tests.

If you think a E-Niro can give 282 miles (Kia figure, many people get 300+) A full charge before leaving home & a top in the lunch break.. Should easily match you. (y)

Typical charging time: 20- 80% charged in less than 60 minutes

Now awaits. the EV would be a lot cheaper as well 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It took you how long?

I did Leicester to Wemyss Bay back in May (looking at a business on Bute).

Total distance 326 miles from front door to ferry terminal. 5.5 hours including a half hour break. Left at 7am and caught the 13:05 ferry no problem. Admittedly it was all motorway apart from the A50 across to the M6 & the A80 but 9 hours for you seems somewhat high to say the least - did you hit a traffic jam or something?

Had around 15 litres left in the tank although the "guesstimate my range" indicator said that I could only do 50 miles.

Scotland is a lot better for EV charging than most of England - border region excepted for some reason.
We never hurry just plod along around 60.
Know Wemyss my daughter used to work at the holiday camp there.

Registered
Did our twice yearly trip to Aviemore last Saturday, about 435 miles door to door. Driving time was about 7/1/2 hours, 58 mph. Traffic was OK except for the M74 approaching Glasgow, about 4 miles of slow moving traffic which took about 15 minutes instead of the normal 4 minutes. Without that the average would have been nearer 60 mph.

Set off with a full tank (55 litres approx) and 34 miles of electric and still had about 20 litres and no electric left when we arrived.

Well impressed with the 58 MPG a large plug in like the Superb iV can achieve.

With regards to charging the opportunities in the Aviemore area are pretty limited despite what the apps suggest. The charger at the sation is broken so no chance to charge whilst we shop. Visites one cafe/garden centre earlier in the week and their charger was broken, reported it and according to the app it still is. Went to an outdoor centre yesterday, 3 points according to the app but only found 2. One was being used by an MG so I plugged into the one next door. turned it on with the app but within a minute charging had failed and now 2 out of the 3 at that site are broken.

Spoke to the chap with the MG and earlier in the day he had been in a state of panic. The one at his hotel is broken so he went to Aviemore to find the one at the station broken. 10 minutes after plugging into the one at the outdoor centre he got a message saying charging had failed but when he went to check it seemed still to be charging, he was hoping it was.

Thank god we bought the PHEV and not a full EV. Lifes complicated enough without having to worry about finding a working charge point. Will put about 35 litres in for the drive home tomorrow.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing I've wondered about is if it's cheaper to charge an EV away from motorway services and motorways are not the best type of roads for them. It could mean they would move to "A" roads. Making journey times even longer.

Super Moderator
Another thing I've wondered about is if it's cheaper to charge an EV away from motorway services and motorways are not the best type of roads for them. It could mean they would move to "A" roads. Making journey times even longer.
If you can afford to stop for food in a UK service station. You would not be bothered about any extra cost to charge... Just the same as filling a ICE up. Makes your eyes water just looking at the prices. Never mind having the pump in your hand having to fill up.
Usually you can time a stop off M/Way that has better food, a lot cheaper within a couple of miles. I would rather add 30 minutes onto a trip than spend 拢30 in a service station...
As the Op said they are only good for wee stops 馃槀

Super Moderator
Same mileage as you in 6 hours. Which included 3 stops 10:11 point.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same mileage as you in 6 hours. Which included 3 stops 10:11 point.
I think you better recalculate. He states that he starts around 10.30 and arrives around 7.00 which I make 9陆 hours.
And where do you get that charging station like that in this country. Your lucky to see half a dozen.

Registered
Re services - there's only one I stop at going to/from Scotland and that's Tebay just after J38 on the M6. Thoroughly recommend it and that's something you don't normally hear about services :)

Super Moderator
I think you better recalculate. He states that he starts around 10.30 and arrives around 7.00 which I make 9陆 hours.
And where do you get that charging station like that in this country. Your lucky to see half a dozen.
Yes he arrived at final destination at 19:00. But I was not looking at that point.

Look at the time I stated 10:11 (screen shot below) you will see the actual time is 16:26 which from 10:30 which is just under 6 hours. He has done 546Km which is 339 miles.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Super Moderator
So he was doing 73 mph @ 49 miles in and complaining only 69% battery.
Flog a ICE and you MPG drops..
Fast chargers cost more, just the same as filling up at some petrol stations do.
Ever found a petrol station that does not charge, as you can charge a EV at some chargers.

Sorry (not a ev lover) but that is not a good reflection of people who do regular long trips in EV's.

A better idea of the range of the car and how speed effects the range.

Photograph Automotive mirror Mode of transport Vehicle Head restraint

Registered
So he was doing 73 mph @ 49 miles in and complaining only 69% battery.
Flog a ICE and you MPG drops..
Fast chargers cost more, just the same as filling up at some petrol stations do.
Ever found a petrol station that does not charge, as you can charge a EV at some chargers.

Sorry (not a ev lover) but that is not a good reflection of people who do regular long trips in EV's.

A better idea of the range of the car and how speed effects the range.

View attachment 11882
It still highlights the fact that to get the best of an ev, you need to do much more planning than an ice. Currently. The problem of availability and reliability of fast chargers also persists. We're certainly getting there but for now ice holds too much appeal for me to switch.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It still highlights the fact that to get the best of an ev, you need to do much more planning than an ice. Currently. The problem of availability and reliability of fast chargers also persists. We're certainly getting there but for now ice holds too much appeal for me to switch.
My family live all over the country. If I get a phone call and need to go somewhere quick I can jump in my car go to a garage fill up and be on my way in minutes not hours has in an EV.

Super Moderator
TBH. The Guy Martin video shows how bad we have got. Got to be everywhere as fast as we can.
Who needs to drive 1100 miles in 24 hours? It's not even safe to do so no matter what you drive on your own.

Perhaps EV's will make people think more about their driving. Make sure they take regular breaks to stay awake, and not keep driving, just because the fuel tank gauge says that they have enough fuel to keep going.

Might even start to see the return of the likes of Wimpy's etc with charging stations, rather than Mac D's, KFC, B King & subway. 馃槏

At the end, the question was answered. Yes the trip can be done in the same time, under the same conditions.
Now it is starting to get into all the usual anti EV arguments..馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Re services - there's only one I stop at going to/from Scotland and that's Tebay just after J38 on the M6. Thoroughly recommend it and that's something you don't normally hear about services :)
Thoroughly agree regarding Tebay. And if you need to stop overnight use their hotel - it is excellent and not overpriced for m'way facilities. Excellent food also...

Registered
TBH. The Guy Martin video shows how bad we have got. Got to be everywhere as fast as we can.
Who needs to drive 1100 miles in 24 hours? It's not even safe to do so no matter what you drive on your own.

Perhaps EV's will make people think more about their driving. Make sure they take regular breaks to stay awake, and not keep driving, just because the fuel tank gauge says that they have enough fuel to keep going.

Might even start to see the return of the likes of Wimpy's etc with charging stations, rather than Mac D's, KFC, B King & subway. 馃槏

At the end, the question was answered. Yes the trip can be done in the same time, under the same conditions.
Now it is starting to get into all the usual anti EV arguments..馃し鈥嶁檪锔
Just because we disagree, doesn't make me anti-ev, on the contrary I think they're an excellent solution for Sunday drivers and retirees, even better if they have a drive and generally only nip to the local big tescos. It still seems that the supporting infrastructure remains fragmented and unreliable. When something is done to bring the charging network up to standard, 90% of people will have no excuse not to go electric.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts