Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Due to the lack of settings on the standard Kia Soul Trip Computer I have bought one of these,

I got it from here,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PLX-KiWi-MPG-OBD2-UNIVERSAL-Economy-meter-/290442969760?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item439fc002a0

Received it today so still not had time to fully test it. I will update once I have had a chance to do a long journey.

They also do a wifi version that links to a mobile phone like an iPhone.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PLX-KiWi-WiFi-iPhone-iPod-interface-/300431009072?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45f3156530

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i really miss my previous cars various mpg readings on my soul....let me know how easy it is to fit and what you think of it and where you mount it in the dashboard. (the spectacle rattle box is crying out to be made into something useful)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi tempest,

The unit is easy to install.
1) Turn Engine on.
2) Plug in unit under dash.
3) Program in tank size and units.
4) Stick to dash. (not where I did as when driving you cant see it!)

It is that easy to install.
On the way to work this morning I did notice though that it was saying I only get 12 MPG!
This is probably some unit not being put in correctly, I hope.

Trying to find a good place for it is a little hard as there are very few flat places on the dash that can be seen while driving.
It also needs to be put in a shaded place as you cant read it in the sun.

I will let you know if I find such a place!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Hi Womble.

Couple of things.

There is a plug under the dash waiting to accept this?......where is it?.....near the fuse box?.

Secondly, if i fill my tank to the first click, but on a sloping forecourt - i can get in my tank far more fuel than it officially holds......have got 53 litres in one time.....how is that gonna affect the unit, or will it compensate?.

If it was mounted within the spectacle box it would be in the shade and probably easier to read.

When you get it mounted up and working as it should - could you email me a pic so i can see its relative size on your dashboard please. ([email protected])

Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You probably know that the latest Soul's (i.e. 2011 model) has a trip computer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The plug is just to the right of the steering wheel column under the dash.
It is the ODB2 port that a garage would use for diagnostics.

If you over fill the tank it will not automatically compensate, you could however just change the size of the tank but I would just leave it set up with the actual tank size that way you would just have that bit of spare fuel.

In the spectacle box would be a bit difficult to do as you would have to cut a hole about 1cm x 2cm to feed the unit through with cable.
Also for me anyway at least one pair of glasses would be in the way at all times.

The unit isn't very big really, about 2cm x 5cm and 6mm thick.
Will get a pic sorted.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
d3matt said:
You probably know that the latest Soul's (i.e. 2011 model) has a trip computer.
Yes......and a pull out steering wheel adjustment and door handles that dont break your fingers or snap back with a horrendous clack!!!.......everything i missed between my old car and this one!!!!.....never mind.....in 10 years time i can look forward to those little luxuries again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts