Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi troops, strange thing happened to me today in my sorento 56 plate xs auto.

I was just pulling into a supermarket car park and I started getting a funny noise from what I think is the transmission or drive shafts.

I slowed to a crawl and it felt like the wheels did not want to turn. As if something was going to pop. I liken it to winding up an elastic band to a point that it won't wind any further then it can only go back. I was getting banging noises from the drive shaft. I crawled into a parking bay and I switched into low 4x4.

It took a while to engage but it did. Then I switched back again and it seems ok now.

I had no option but to drive home 20 mile and it seems ok but it's got me worried after I read about a guy who was towing in France and his prop shafts give up the ghost and it cost him £4000. To sort it.

I wish I could explain the symptom better but im sure it was a drive shaft / Trans issue.

Has anyone got any ideas at all pls?

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
I remember that you need a high pressure grease gun, and probably there is an awkward to get to greaser as is normal for motors these days - sorry my memory has let me down.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just been on to Kia Warrington and they commented on tyre tread depth. Said its is common to experience issues if they are not the same front and back.
Sounds very strange to me.
Any comments folks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went to a Ex Kia Dealer in Liverpool who was very nice. He thinks i hit the 4x4 switch by accident as i was parking up. That he thinks would have give me the judder that i experienced.

Im a very good driver. Im HGV, Motorbike, Tank, Police driver, Ex forces and im not silly. I would know if i hit that switch.

He tells me the drive shaft and trans are BMW sorced and do not falter lightly.

I will monitor and i may also buy a grease gun and have a go at the greasing myself.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey Bigmark

It was my front prop that failed in France - no prior warning or symptons, I was unlucky that it happend at motorway speed as the prop thrashed around under the car smashing a hole in the gear box - ripped through fuel lines and even putting a tear in the floor pan.

What we did notice is though although we were able to source a second hand gear box - there were no front props to be had other than new ones. They all been bought so I think this is definately a common failure. As for BMW parts I really dont think so both the new and old ones off mine were printed in korean....and I understand some parts are japanese other than the design was based on the Merc ML I cant see any other german engineered influence.

Mine is going to my local indy soon so we will see how mine has faired in the year since it was repaired.

Good luck if you do your own though let us know how you get on and maybe post some pics for us to see.

Martin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Big Mark I had same thing happen to me in local supermarket on my 57 plate Titan then seemed OK for a couple of days then happened again, got more regular over time. Only had the car just over a month so spoke to dealer I got it from. They arranged for a local garage to check it who said it was transfer box I have seen a couple of other threads regarding transfer box problems so I panicked.It was found that transfer box was short of oil so topped up but didn't resolve problem so assumed internal problems due to oil shortage.
Car was then moved to a Kia main dealer who have agreed transfer box is goosed, they say casing is cracked apparently due to some form of impact I find this hard to believe as if something had hit it so hard to crack casing I would have known.
However I now apparently am getting a bill for £3,500 for new box as Kia warranty won't cover as not a mechanical failure, also dealer I bought from say no warranty as has been an external damage.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers fella. Bloody typical how they will go to the ends of the earth to side step responsibility. As if you went off road so as to damage the box. they make you laugh. I have not had the problem since but im listening very closely everytime i drive it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Kia cars are great......if you have a good dealer, this month fault on the steering rack , rang kia customer service if i could get a goodwill and they said no, I know my sorento is nearly 7 years old but it has a full service by kia dealers spent thousands of £££££ kia genuine parts. So no point this year to go for a service to kia dealer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bloody love the car. Its got such presence on the road. Lovely hight and ride position. I recon the Range Rover and Land Rover drivers will laugh but i really think they are just as good at half the price.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Me too, my sorento suits my needs, my children love it, i tried to look a replacement for my sorento this past few weeks, test drive the patriot feels ok but the interior is very disapointing and when i check underneath wishbones and disc are corroded and rusty ... can't believe what i saw the patriot is only 3 years old. I'm a former owner and landrover fan before , owned a freelander which gives me a lot of headache then trade in for discovery 3 which last only 2 months due to faulty suspension, electrical glitch etc.
Edited by: leeds

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would stay well clear of the Jeep. They kind of look cool with that typical Yank Tank look about them but the parts and build quality are crap.
I bought my sorento second hand from a citroen dealer in Yorkshire. I spotted the car on ebay which the dealer used. At the time i had a peugeot 107 (dont laugh) it suited me at the time. It was coming to the end of the 3 year contract on the passport sceme. I paid 8 grand for it new with all the extras and i had it 3 years and the citroen dealer offered me 6 grand for it as a trade in on the sorento. i bit his bloody hand off. The sorento xs auto was 2 yrs and 3 months old and was advertised for £11995.00. I owed peugeot £3500 as the final payment so i had a deposit of £2500 so i got the sorento for £9495. A car that when new was £24000. Bloody deal if you ask me fella. I have had it just on 2 years now and i still have that excited feeling when i drive it. Love it.
Edited by: Bigmark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi well got the car back today and drives like a dream again however my wallet is now £3500 lighter, works out quite expensive per mile as only done 1500 miles since I got it less than 3months ago.I've run Isuzu Troopers for the last 5 or so years, and to be honest only changed to Kia because the Isuzu wasdiscontinuedin 2002 and wanted a newer vehicle, however now I wonder if I made the rightdecision, never had many problems with the Isuzu's and even at 8 years old still carrying out repairs to engine under warranty FOC.
Will have to see haw Kia goes from here on and see if my feelings can be altered.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Big Mark me again all has gone bad again now managed 120 mile on new transfer box then yesterday a bang and now back to juddering on cornering spoke to garage appears transfer box has failed again not bad eh £3500 for 120 miles of use, must say at moment I am neither impressed by Kia or their dealers, I would suggest you get yours looked at. Would also like to get more information from other people who have had problems as I can't afford another £3500 but then I have around £15000 of scrap stood in my drive, something about a rock and a hard place.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I would be wanting my money back and if they dont give you it go to trading standards. Its obvious it is an internal issue thats caused the crack and not something hitting the box externally.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well got car back again not bad nearly 3 weeks and guess what they can't find anything wrong they suspect may have been a bad connection on wiring that has been rectified during unplugging and plugging in during investigation, but apparently I am lucky they charged me £3500 to change transfer boxoriginally as oil leak could have resulted in problems, would have been better if they had diagnosed transfer box was OK other than oil leak and repaired that rather than fitting new box, I am now very unconfident invehicle as no real problem found so is it going to happen again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts