Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to change the oil in the transfer box & diffs on my 2007 Sorento XT manual , can anyone tell methe correct oil to use in them ?Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Front Diff 1.3 Ltrs API GL-5 SAE 90Rear Diff 1.6 Ltrs API GL-5 LS SAE 85W-90
Transfer Case 1.42 Ltrs Dexron III

The Rear diff is a Limited Slip Differential and so you must by the LS grade of oil.
I just bought bought 3 ltrs Valvoline GL-5 LS 75W-90 and will have enough for the front and the back. You can use LS grade in the front, which means you can get away with buying 3 Ltrs for front and rear.

·
Registered
93 Posts
gab5671 said:
Is the Dextron III used for both manual & auto boxes ?

For the Auto boxes you need to be careful.

I have tried to buy RED-1 oil for my Sorento 2005 auto and the dealers say that I need Dexron III, but I have the 5 Speed A5SR1. When I insisted on RED-1 they offered me a mix of RED-1 and some Shell oil which they say is compatible. They could not say what grade of Shell oil it was. Confused!!!!!!!!!

Made a number of calls to KIA technical (via a non- technical call centre) who also insist that I need Dexron III. Anyone you talk to in Kia asks for your REG or VIN number and refers to the database records on you car. I believe those records are wrong.

I'm now asking Kia technical to answer a different question. " Forget what the database says. what do I need for and A5SR1 gearbox. RED-1 and what other equivalents?"

·
Registered
93 Posts
In the owners manual they specify Dexron III (fill for life) for the 4WD transfer case.

Is this the same as TOD oil?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
If you contact your Kia dealer they will have the TOD oil for the transfer box which succeeds the oil listed in your handbook.

·
Registered
5 Posts
when turning both ways the car wants to lock up took the front propshaft off and it goes away. the shaft has had new joints and moves freely
is the diff oils need changing the oil looks good only done 40k
Sorento titan 08Edited by: Diver2deep

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
First thing put prop shaft back and then remove fuse TCCS drivers footwell. If ok this shows it is driving in 4 WD. With the TOD system 100% drive should be on rear wheels and drive coming onto front if rear is loosing drive.First of all then check that rear tyres are not worn smaller than front ones, only 1mm will make a difference.If rear are smaller change them round with front ones and then replace fuse.If ok this was your problem,if not then possibly fault in transfer box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Took out the tccs fuse and it drive normal
tyres are band new alround
just put new discs and pads alround could it be a wiring senor problem??

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
You have two sensors on transfer box one for rear output and one for front.If the one for rear is showing higher than front this will have 4WD connected permanent,putting equal drive to both rear and front, if these sensors are OK possible transfer box internal clutch problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks 4 the help birdman
but the sad news is the transfer box is u/s
need a recondition one now any ideas where i would get one
??
Edited by: Diver2deep

·
Registered
23 Posts
i am also looking at changing these oils, and cannot find out if my 56 reg 2.5 diesel has an lsd or not, all kia have told me is to do the wheels of the ground check which i have done and i am still not confident with result, could i put lsd oil in both to make sure to save buying so many oils, also transmission oil seems to change grade at different motor factors what is correctthanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts