Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Picked caravan up yesterday and although all the lights on the caravan are working, there is no sign of the required indicator to show the direction indicators are working!
What 'system' is fiitted to your Sorento?

thanks

Paul S.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Paul had my towbar fitted by United towbars and I have a audible buzzer to show when the indicators are working on the van. As far as I am aware it is law to either have the buzzer or a visual light on the dash to show they are working. Take it back to have it checked out. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Roy-Cal,
Thanks for the reply, I know that a warning device is required, have'nt yet had time to investigate.
My Discovery had a trailer icon on the instrument panel which flashed in unison if trailer lights were working, easy peasy job that was.............

Paul S.

·
Registered
101 Posts
hmmm, i used my sorie to tow my boat trailer today and indeed i hear some annoyingbuzzersounding when using the indicators!

never had that with my previous trucks (L200 / Hilux) when towing my boat trailer.

so my question is why is this? and is this really law? and if not i will rip it out!!

Edited by: bitman

·
Registered
249 Posts
My Sorento has a bleeper fitted that comes on when the caravan is connected and tells me the indicators are working Ok. I would not be without this important safety feature even if its not required by law. Just done my first towing trip with the car and I was very impressed, it was so easy to pull the caravan and I had to keep reminding myself of the speed limits. Fuel seemed to work out around 23mpg towing and 26mpg solo but that included a lot of Lake District roads and Hardknott Pass which was fun. I think the Sorento is a great car and does everything I require of it so far.

Ed

·
Registered
66 Posts
It is a legal requirement in the UK to have a means of confirmation that the trailer indicators are working when hitched.
I have had the buzzer type on previous cars which only works when the trailer is hitched, very reassuring to know the system is working.
On the Sorento I fitted the towbar and wiring myself, I used a vehicle specific wiring kit which came with an uprated flasher unit and a tell-tale warning light (small LED). It was simple to fit by taking off the drivers end dash panel to gain access to the flasher unit and swop it out for the uprated unit, drilled a small hole to fit the LED tell-tale light just above the 4x4 mode switch and popped the lamp in there.

As stated the likes of Land Rover come fitted with a warning light in the dash warning light cluster, Nissan also come with a warning light in the cluster.

I think I prefer the buzzer type which is usually fitted behind the rear panels at the boot of the vehicle near the tow bar wiring connections.

Interesting reading here http://www.rightconnections.co.uk/viewpage.php?page_id=35

Colb

Edited by: colb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts