Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage GT-Line 1.6t petrol. 174bhp
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Quick question when I accelerate at normal pull off speed on an incline. My handbrake light appears briefly, almost like a traction control sensor. If I accelerate to make the traction control indicator appear, it does so briefly then gets replaced by the handbrake light. It disappears throughout normal driving and only does it again if I hit an incline.

If the hand brake is used, it does display the normal light and the sound to state it's still on if you attempt to pull off, so this is working fine.

I'm not sure if it's an issue or not, but it wasn't doing it a week ago.

I have had the front skid/engine plate replaced recently after kia noticed a fixing bracket was damaged. Could a wire or sensor have been damaged to cause the fault if it is a fault?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
This could be a switch or sensor in the control unit that is out of sync with the drive screw.
It could also be the motor/ screw unit needing some lubrication.
When you apply the parking brake with the motor off , can you hear the parking brake electric motor turning and coming to a stop as the cable pulls tight? and the again when the parking brake is released?

Have you been fording water?
If you have the brake set to come on every time you stop the vehicle then that will cause more wear than necessary. Rarely use the parking brake is not good either, once a week at least is ok.

can someone look at the ends of the parking brake cables at both rear brakes to ensure that both cables are moving the correct distance that they should, when you apply the park. brake?
It's possible the issue could be a sticking rear brake cylinder or the arm that the cable is attached to.
try using the brake on/ off 5 times with the motor on, ( if it's rarely used ) does that help?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts