Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had an MOT failure on "Track rod end ball joint has excessive play Nearside" - funnily enough also failed 2 years ago and both were replaced! Can they fail so quickly? Only had 17k miles on them :(

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
17k miles seems very low, What was the mileage on the previous set? Were the replacement parts pukka OEM parts or nasty Chinese chewing gum parts?

Do you trust your MoT tester not to be sandbagging? Some have been known to find creative ways to get a little extra work in. Are you competent to check for yourself?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
17k miles seems very low, What was the mileage on the previous set? Were the replacement parts pukka OEM parts or nasty Chinese chewing gum parts?

Do you trust your MoT tester not to be sandbagging? Some have been known to find creative ways to get a little extra work in. Are you competent to check for yourself?
I don't think I'd had them changed before jan 2019 so the original set probably had 53k on them. I very much doubt the ones they put on were OEM, they were £20 each on the invoice, todays were a bit cheaper at £18. Maybe it was just a poor part last time.

Its just a local garage that everybody seems to recommend and they have done plenty of work in the past, so hopefully not dodgy. Had to get it done though as MOT ran out today :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Well even 50k is not very good but perhaps the driving conditions are harsh. £18 is almost certainly Chinese Chewing gum - they will not last.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
£18 is almost certainly Chinese Chewing gum - they will not last.
Ha, well I'll bare that in mind next time and maybe not leave it until the day the MOT expires :rolleyes:

It only had 20k on it when I bought the car, and I have a fairly smooth driving style so it hasn't had lots of punishment, although there is still the odd pothole that doesn't get spotted in time. When I asked the guy in the garage why it needed replacing so soon after they replaced it last time he said it was just a wearing part. Its not much in the grand scheme of things, I always expect something to fail on an MOT but thought I might have got away this year after changing the front brakes a couple of weeks ago :D

·
Registered
962 Posts
I don't think I'd had them changed before jan 2019 so the original set probably had 53k on them. I very much doubt the ones they put on were OEM, they were £20 each on the invoice,
If your car is a post 2012 Ceed in January 2019 it would still have been under warranty and the track rod ends would have been covered. So why did you pay? Even if you had failed to service it correctly since they are a part that requires no maintenance thus should have been done FOC.

Yours is a perfect example of buying cheap and having to replace in short time.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Not a wearng part IME. The only time I have ever needed new track rod ends is in a very old MG Midget which was considerably over 50k miles and was a prime example ot BL's legendary reliability and sound engineering.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Yours is a perfect example of buying cheap and having to replace in short time.
There is a well-known adage with particular relevance to many car components and parts:

"You buy cheap, you buy twice!'

Having said that, for people taken by surprise at MOT time, if the quickest way to have the car made legal and roadworthy again is to give the work to the garage whose tester failed the vehicle, then that is perfectly understandable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your car is a post 2012 Ceed in January 2019 it would still have been under warranty and the track rod ends would have been covered. So why did you pay? Even if you had failed to service it correctly since they are a part that requires no maintenance thus should have been done FOC.
That is a good point, and not something that I considered when I just needed the MOT to pass. The MOT wasn't done at a KIA dealer, and taking it away from the garage it was in, to wait for KIA to be able to replace it and get it retested is way too much hassle for what it was going to cost :D

I'm definitely going to try and be more on the ball when it comes to getting MOT done in time - always leave it until the last minute and you're screwed when it fails (I wonder if there are statistics showing testers fail cars more when they are close to the expiry date??). I'm sure I used to be better, but then this car is due in January which always seems a bit of a crazy month and it ends up being last minute

·
Registered
131 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts