Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the oil feed to the turbo can leak into the water cooling jacket ?

·
Registered
422 Posts
gus-lopez said:
Anyone know if the oil feed to the turbo can leak into the water cooling jacket ?
Is there an oil cooler fitted to the car - these can go faulty and allow oil to get into the water system - alternatively could be a cracked cylinder head allowing the two to mix

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi. Good chance head gasket. Local garage can put a tester on the radiator cap fill point. This sucks water into it through a fluid and if it changes to a particular colour this will show if fuel in with water.
The turbo does have a water and oil feed. The seal on mine went the other day on M55. This caused the breathe rpipes to fully clog with creamy muck/sludge. The oil and water mixed. Replaced turbo from Sedona Gary £149(Bargain) fitted my self (PICS to come).
Kia dealer will charge a fortune for this and if it involves replacing the cam belt as a matter of course Blackpool will charge £445.00 just for belt change. Again I did this myself. I became a 'mechanic' after buying my Sedona. I have saved a fortune on time costs.
If Head Gasket gone. EBay H gasket, full kit +++ £60 ish from the Gasket Shop. I have used them 3 times now and are very good.
Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stevegx said:
The turbo does have a water and oil feed. The seal on mine went the other day on M55. This caused the breathe rpipes to fully clog with creamy muck/sludge. The oil and water mixed. Replaced turbo from Sedona Gary £149(Bargain) fitted my self (PICS to come).
Kia dealer will charge a fortune for this and if it involves replacing the cam belt as a matter of course Blackpool will charge £445.00 just for belt change. Again I did this myself. I became a 'mechanic' after buying my Sedona. I have saved a fortune on time costs.
If Head Gasket gone. EBay H gasket, full kit +++ £60 ish from the Gasket Shop. I have used them 3 times now and are very good.
Steve Gx Blackpool
That's it spot on ! You've described it exactly. I thought that was probably what it was as I've been looking for a noise for months & had more or less tracked it down as the turbo. I'd been looking at it yesterday morning & found side to side movement & had decided to purchase a turbo off of sedonagary ( which I have done ) when I checked the rad cap & expansion tank & found this light amount of creamy cappuchino ! It wasn't there before as I check oils & waters at least 4x a week.
I drained cleaned & replaced all the anti-freeze/water & a tiny amount reappeared after getting up to temp. but wasn't their this morning after I've been out , & there's nothing apparent now.

Yes I do have an oil cooler built into the rad ( as well as a stand alone one ) but it's for the auto-box oil which isn't showing any signs of loss.Neither is the engine oil level. I think I might have caused the seal problem checking on the rotor movement , oil flow , actuator etc; on the turbo.
Head gasket was my first thought followed by the rad until I managed to think straight ! Last thing I want is to try & rebuild an engine here ! lol.
Thanks for all the replies, just got to wait for the turbo to arrive from Gary via my courier.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi. Pleased to be of help. Sharing on the site is what it is all about. The word 'cappucino' is a brilliant word, better than my creamy/sludge/muck description. I will try to post the turbo change PICS tonight or some time Thursday for you to 'recky' before tackling your self is 'easy' if head in gear. ( 8,10,12, 19 mm spanners and rackets,hose clip 'removal' stuffare needed of the top of my head.) I think I created the turbo problem myself too on mine. I cleaned it inside and out using an engine grime cleaner, think it seriously affected the seal in the turbo.
Steve Gx Blackpool.
Where about in Spain are you? If thats OK to ask.Would like to ask about local PADI dive centres and places to stay.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi , sorry about the delay in replying. turbo arrived at my mate the
courier who's bringing it over , hopefully by next weekend.
Although
I think I created the leak myself the noise originally started about
15months ago but would only be present when 1st moving in the morning.
Once the temperature rose in spring it disappeared completely & ran
faultlessly on a 5k trip to Germany. The noise returned as the weather
cooled , reappearing in early nov. It only ever does it when moving off.
After
I tracked it down the other week I then checked again for shaft play,
which there is side to side but doesn't appear to be any vertically.
That's when I appear to have caused the oil into water leak.

I live in Lorca, in the region of Murcia ( where the earthquake was last may ! )
There's a few PADI dive schools around here.
http://www.divinginmazarron.com/id6.html In Puerto del Mazarron.
http://www.viva-murcia.com/scuba_centre_estela_p300.php Águilas , just down the road from me.
http://www.viva-murcia.com/cabo_cope_diving_centre_p361.php Calabardina , just along coast from Águilas.
http://www.viva-murcia.com/aturasub_p680.php Cabo de Palos . A bit farther up from Calabardina towards La Manga.
here's a bit of dive info from the big blue planet.
http://www.bigblueplanet.com/bbplocationdetail.jsp?LocationID=223
In
the bit where they say 'village of 30k ', it is actually a town &
when they say 'increases in summer months ' they fail to point out that
it's by 10 to 15 times. Even so it's 90% a spanish area even in summer
& in july & august, when it's supposedly heaving you still have
no packed beaches.
Weather in this area is fantastic all year. Lorca
, which is inland 30kms from Águilas, is the 2nd hottest place in spain
& is known as the 'City of the Sun ' !
You'd be better asking accomodation when you know where you might be going.
There
are also some dive schools in Garrucha & Mojacar which are
south-west along the coast from Águilas & come under Andalucia.
Thanks again to all for the info. I'll let you know the outcome & will try & remember to take photos !

·
Registered
390 Posts
gus-lopez said:
Hi , sorry about the delay in replying. turbo arrived at my mate the
courier who's bringing it over , hopefully by next weekend.
Although
I think I created the leak myself the noise originally started about
15months ago but would only be present when 1st moving in the morning.
Once the temperature rose in spring it disappeared completely & ran
faultlessly on a 5k trip to Germany. The noise returned as the weather
cooled , reappearing in early nov. It only ever does it when moving off.
After
I tracked it down the other week I then checked again for shaft play,
which there is side to side but doesn't appear to be any vertically.
That's when I appear to have caused the oil into water leak.

I live in Lorca, in the region of Murcia ( where the earthquake was last may ! )
There's a few PADI dive schools around here.
http://www.divinginmazarron.com/id6.html In Puerto del Mazarron.
http://www.viva-murcia.com/scuba_centre_estela_p300.php Águilas , just down the road from me.
http://www.viva-murcia.com/cabo_cope_diving_centre_p361.php Calabardina , just along coast from Águilas.
http://www.viva-murcia.com/aturasub_p680.php Cabo de Palos . A bit farther up from Calabardina towards La Manga.
here's a bit of dive info from the big blue planet.
http://www.bigblueplanet.com/bbplocationdetail.jsp?LocationID=223
In
the bit where they say 'village of 30k ', it is actually a town &
when they say 'increases in summer months ' they fail to point out that
it's by 10 to 15 times. Even so it's 90% a spanish area even in summer
& in july & august, when it's supposedly heaving you still have
no packed beaches.
Weather in this area is fantastic all year. Lorca
, which is inland 30kms from Águilas, is the 2nd hottest place in spain
& is known as the 'City of the Sun ' !
You'd be better asking accomodation when you know where you might be going.
There
are also some dive schools in Garrucha & Mojacar which are
south-west along the coast from Águilas & come under Andalucia.
Thanks again to all for the info. I'll let you know the outcome & will try & remember to take photos !
Hi. Thanks for the info. Brilliant. Bwenos notchiss !! ;0)
Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it's finally changed ! Turbo arrivedfriday night after a bit of a saga with the bloke I was using to bring it out !! Had to use a courier in the end & I changed it yesterday. Steve gx's photo's were a help. Only real problem that I had was the two nuts on the back holding the turbo to the manifold were extremely tight & access is restricted but they were the only problems. Fingers crossed the noise has gone & so has the mayonaisse/capucchino , so all's good . Just got to get it mot'd later in the week !

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well that wasn't the source of the oil but I've found at what was . There is an engine oil cooler built into the aluminium housing that the oil filter screws on to ! Don't take any notice of the manual if you've got to change the joints on this. The manual says 'remove air intake then undo 8 bolts & 2 nuts & remove unit ' !! Yeah right . You can't even see the thing. Didn't even say "drain the water from the engine" which is the 1st thing you need to do!
I did it all from underneath. Removed oil filter, oil return hose from the plastic tube bolted to the bracket that's mounted on the ali housing. All that had to come off plus both diesel pump electric plugs , as the housing won't clear them & the turbo oil feed banjo that's on the unit. once you've undone the 8 bolts & 2 nuts, all 12mm , you can remve the housing . You don't need to undo the 4 14mm nuts until the unit is off as these are what are holding the heat exchanger on.
Once removed clean it up & then remove the 4 x14mm nuts . This releases the heat exchanger & you will find 2 large oil rings which seal the inlet/outlet of the oil to the heat exchanger & 4 small o rings which are on the fixing holes to prevent leakage of water externally.
Clean it up, replace o rings & reassemble & you can then refit it to the car with a new gasket. The hardest part is removing the old gasket from the engine block.All working well now.

I think mine was caused by age & the radiator fan not working but that's all sorted now with some new brushes! Just got to wait for a new radiator cap to be delivered now as the oil has made the rubber expand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts