Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 5 speed automatic with tiptronic box.
But find it is not very good when towing my 1700kg caravan.
If I leave it in 'D' it will search all the time through the gears to try to maintain any motorway speed around 56-60mph.
If I use the tiptronic I am having to watch the speed and the rev counter to maintain any sort of momentum moving between 4 and 5 which is far from ideal.
Then when I try to overtake anything there seems to be no get up and go when I acelerate,
I find I am not consentrating on the road, but rather what the car is doing!!IT WILL DRIVE OK WITHOUT THE VAN ON!!
Does anyone have the same problem as mine??
Or is there a fault with the box??
Or am I doing something wrong.
ANY HELP WOULD BE WELOCOMED, I DONT WANT TO FALL OUT WITH AN OTHERWISE GOOD CAR.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Marting

When towing I use cruise control and keep it in 5th on the tipronic but simply flick it back to D for over taking or for hills. My caravan is around the same weight but if you are want to cruise and overtake above 60mph then gear changes are needed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Unclemart
Thanks very much for the advice.
I will try to drive as you advise and see how I get on.
As I cruise below the speed limit,this may work for me.
I will post a note when I have a result,let you know.
thanks again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unclemart
Just a catch up from marting
I am now towing much better having looked at the way i was driving and now all seems nice and smooth with no drama's anymore.
Thanks for your advice and keep it up with the sorento.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm gladit helpedmarting
Its the method that works best for me with the Sorento - I have been towing caravans for nearly 30 years and all cars tow diffrently. The Sorrento is a great towcar and exellent value for moneyif you want better then you need to be spending out on a Range Rover or Discovery. Sadly the new Sorrento does not seem to be doing as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts