Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guy's.I just thought that I would share my experience Re: Tuning Box.
PLEASE NOTE it is not my intention to re-load previous threads, my intention is to share my experience using one of these tuning boxes while towing and also on a solo run. Please do not contribute to this thread if it threatens anyaggravationtowards others.

I have a 2006 Sedona, (not the new type) 2.9CRDI, a 2008 Abbey Vogue twin axle 7.95meter, 1850 max pay load.
I have been towing caravans over a period of 31 yrs. As yet I have not come across a towing vehicle asversatile as the Sedona. Strong heavy with a large engine that can be quite reasonable with the mpg, towing/solo. Sometimes hoping for that little extra power driving away from roundabouts and up hills in this country and abroad.
I have seen many tuning aids advertised, promising extra power, torque and better mpg. (discussion about these is contained elsewhere therefore there is no need to duplicate)
Having seen these boxes for sale on various websites forridiculously low prices and wondering what they do for the money.
Iv'e had a suspicious interest in these 'jack in the box of tricks' for quite a while, been in the trade for a number of years.
I came across a Kia forum member dealing in superior tuning boxes compared to what Iv'e previously seen. Sold to many satisfied forum members I thought I would delve deeper.
I received an email containing info on this tuning box and was offered the box for a trial period, with the option of returning the tuning box if not at all happy with it.
www.powerbox-tuning.com supplied the items within days, fitted no problem. Had advise on the initial set-up.
Took the Sedona for a run, tuning up through theprograms. reaching mid range I was quite surprised. Upped the program again to the upper range and WoW the performance wasawesome!
We had a caravan holiday to Holland a few days later which would give the box a thorough test.
This is what I can report on tuning box! The extra power in the Sedona while towing the caravan was exciting. It cruised quite happily in 5th gear. The extra power when moving off was quite significant. All in all I was quite surprised .
Driving the Sedona solo with the tuning box in mid range and the cruise control on, contributed to more mpg, 4mpg extra (this was attained on a long distance drive). While the vehicle is solo (not towing) the lower of the mid range makes a difference, more-so I would say on an automatic. The upper range should only be used if a significant power output is needed, it is unnecessary otherwise.
To sum up, towing the caravan on long distance the extra power made life a lot easier. MPG towing was up marginally 27- 29. On solo runs and in the lower mid range its up about 4mpg. I will have to check the mpg more keenly to have an exact figure. But, I know my Sedona and what I can expect per gallon, and thus far I'm quite happy with the MPG and quite happy to keep the tuning box connected to the Sedona's engine.
I know about torque and bhp like a lot of members here, done it got the T shirt, lets keep this thread as simple as possible.
A big Thanks to Taff at power-box tuning for his help

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the reveiw sounds good . Keeping it simple what was your insurance uplift for having this modification fitted ?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, to my surprise there was no extra. Due to our profession we must have a business class insurance. They enquired why I fitted the box, I just explained that I can gain extra power when towing and it can aid with economy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts