Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would share my towing experiences. I have been towing caravans for almost 35 years, with anything from a 1.3 Maestro up!

I have just got back from towing my (smallish) caravan 700+ miles with my new 2 litre PETROL KX2.

Overall it was an excellent, smooth tow, very stable and the car always felt in control. Compared with my recent experience with a 2.0D Mazda 6 a lot more gearbox stirring was needed on the hills. The mpg came in at about 22, as opposed to 25, occasionally a bit more, with the Mazda.

Fitting my clamp-on towing mirrors was difficult at first due to the fat-rimmed mirror nacelles, but this was resolved by putting the two clamps close together at the inboard end where the top rim is thinner. Having adjusted the mirror angle the rear view was better than with previous cars.

The Witter detachable towball worked like a dream and all the electrics functioned as expected. I really can recommend Hedleys of Durham (no connection, just a twice satisfied customer).

The only negative with the car was the awkward change-down from 5th to 4th, which I botched several times before I realised it is easier to do it in two stages (out of 5th into gate, then flick backwards without exerting ANY lateral force). Not a problem for 6-speed diesel drivers.

Overall, a good first outing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
thats good to hear i have ordered a kx3 2.0l diesel to pull my lunar quasar hopefully it performs as good as yours did.when you got the towbar fitted did they have to make any bumper cuts?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No bumper cuts at all. The detachable towball mounting is really neat and you would never know it was there.

According to the Caravan Club outfit matching service (without knowing the exact Quasar model) you should have a good match!

·
Registered
31 Posts
thats good to hear that there is no bumper cuts needed.yes the van is a quasar 544 it comes out at about 80% match which is good

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi to the caravan owners. we ahve just bought a nearly new Bailey pagent series7.
The cc web site for a van match states that I am ok at 85%, but states that the cars power might struggle and be uncomfortable on hills and when pulling away at junctions. They state BHP per ton at 38.

I have a 2ltr diesel first edition with a detachable alko ball detachable towbar (the new type as someone mentioned earlier)

I towed our 8x5 trailer fully ladden to cornwall and back and I never even noticed it was there.

I hope I will be able to say the same for the caravan.

As for the car, its the best motor I have ever owned. Had it now for 3 months and just love driving it.

I will keep you posted on how we go on with the Caravan.

At nearly 24ft long it should be interesting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, thought I would just share my towing experience with my 2ltr first edition. I am towing a Bailey Senator Indiana series 6. I have the fixed witter tow bar fitted. According to the various matching sites I am somewhere between 87 - 91%. Unfortunately I can only compare the towing experience with my previous car which was a Kia sorento XT. I have to say that when towing with the sorento it was just so easy and you could hardly tell the van was on the back. Having said that the Spotage FE does the job well although I do find I have to use the gears a bit more, this may be due to the fact it is a six speed box. Stability is OK but a different feeling to the sorento, I put this down to the electronic steering which to me is a totallt different feel to conventional steering. I have covered about 500 miles towing and so far so good. I also had the same problem with the mrrors until I moved the clamps closser together. Have only been to about 4 sites and not yet seen any other new Spotages.

·
Registered
31 Posts
just back from a weeks break in my caravan my kx-3 towed brilliantly very stable and not short on power at junctions hills or anything was getting 24mpg which will hopefully get a bit better when engine is run in a bit.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting - I'm getting about 21 with my 2.0 kx2 petrol (real full to full). On average, the trip computer is about 10% too optimistic, ranging from 6% to 15%.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi all towers.
we have just covered over 400 miles with our 2ltr FE diesel.

We are getting 21 mpg with the van on with or without our roof box fitted to the car.

The best I got was 23 mpg but that was on the trip meter.

I have calculated from full to full and the mpg is very similar.

I was hoping to get more mpg than what I am getting.I spoke to various people on the sites we have visited and there was a varied range of vans and sportages. I spoke to one gent who had the old model on a 59 plate and had had it chipped and was also towing a twin axle van heavier than ours and he claimed to be getting 37-39 mpg with the van on and in the high 40's without the van!!!!!.

We did not come across any new sportage van owners, but one Hyundia ix 35 owner told me he was getting 25mpg and was alsonot happy.

Ialso had sorento owners on 59-11 plates saying they were getting in the mid to high 30's with the same or higher weight vans than ours. 1450kg.

Can anyone shed any light or is this what is to be expected.

Many thanks.

PS still enjoy the car though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With my smallish caravan (1250kg) I get about 21mpg (full to full) with my 2.0 petrol, which isn't that surprising, though I'd like a bit better. Surprised your diesel doesn't do better, though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.
Iwould like to get it chipped, but then that would forfit my 7yrs warranty.

looks like I will have to lump it.

The old models appear to get a much higher MPG.

I thought CRDI was common rail deisel injection. not Crap Results (from) Deisel Injection. LOL.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a old body style 2010 2.0 crdi and I get around low 20's when towing. it does depend on how fast you are going of course. If I slow right down to 50 mph max then I can get nearer high 20's.You have to remember it is only a 2 litre engine in a heavy car to start with. It does not really have power to spare for towing a caravan. Also I had clouds of smoke out of my clutch from trying to reverse up a slight incline. I have put my caravan on a seasonal pitch to cut down the amount of towing I do. I love my Sportage but it it's not cut out for heavy towing in my opinion. Shame Kia did not fit the 2.2 litre engine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
As for reversing with the van on, the clutch on mine starts to smell as soon as you start to reverse. I have spoken to another sportage driver and his does the same.

I was wondering if Kia would start to make a sportage with the 2.2 ltr sorento engine , but then I thought whats the point in having the sorento range if the sportage range would tow the same.

Its a shame mine is only 6 months old otherwise I would be tempted to transplant a 2.2 unit into mine. ( I would if it was an old car, but it ain't ).

Our van fully laden is 1490kg which according to the cc site is 85%,thus the correct towing weight.

Kia state 2000kg, which at 85% is 1700kg. God knows what it would be like towing 1700kg or even 100% 2000kg, the mpg would be down to 10mpg ?????? Not to mention the stability !!!!!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I thought the problem with with the clutch may have been due to my poor reversing skills.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just an update regarding fuel consumption when towing.
We came back from the east coast yesterday and got a reading of 14.5 MPG I re-set it a few times and got the same readings.

When I went to the coast to pick the van up I had a tail wind and at cruise of 60mph got 50mpg.

The fuel gauge never moved for the 100 miles we covered, but dropped like a stone when returning with the van on,LOL.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts