Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The low allowable towing nose weight of the Sportage (75Kg) is causing me a few problems with getting my caravan nose weight low enough.
Just seen some spring assisters (rubber which fits between the coils). Has anyone tried these? Any ideas on how much additional nose weight they may allow?

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dave, I don't think that spring assisters allow for a greater nose weight. I think they are just to stop the springs bottoming out when towing. Posting this on a caravan website may help as there are many experts on there. I post on Caravan Talk and find that there are many knowledgable and helpful posters.

Hope this helps, Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,
Thanks for your response - I've done some more looking and I think you're right about the spring assisters.

Seems I have three choices - Strip the nose weight from the caravan in some way.

Replace the caravan

Replace the car

I'll se how I get on with the first option as I like both the car and the van.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi Dave,

My 'van also exceeds the nose weight limit so I balance it by placing a few of the heavier articles from the locker into the 'van while travelling....not a lot because every kilo movedbehind the axle is worth '2' from the locker (not exactly I know). Normally it's the hitch lock, the jack and the power lead and I place them just inside the door and hem them in with the steps on their side - they have never shifted in transit and as they are items I take our of the locker on arrival (apart from the jack), it's no big deal to take them out of the 'van instead. I use a cheap Bosal nose weight balance to check the nose weight and it is suprising how much it varies - just having a full header tank for the toilet makes a big difference on our van with an end washroom. Good that you are taking nose-weight seriously - a lot of people don't and end-up with less stability as a result. Something else to look at may be your gas cylinders - there are light weight alloy ones available now for less that the price of a new car or 'van!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts