Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
We have put a deposit down on a new caravan and was hoping to tow with our Sportage 2016 1.6T AWD GT LINE.
Having done some weight figures, I am in need of some advice.
The Kerbweight of the Sportage is 1600KG.
The MAX towing weight of the sportage is 1900KG.
The caravan MRO is 1374KG and the MTPLM is 1550KG.
Now, I have used the towcar.info website to work out whether it is suitable and I have also read that you should keep the caravan within the 85% of the kerbweight.
However When I play around with the weight distribution for the caravan and car it states that the Sportage should be ok to tow.
I don't want to change the sportage as I love it! Any advice and guidance is appreciated as I have been at this for days!!!馃槶馃槶

Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
I have no experience of towing with the 1.6 Sportage, I much prefer the diesel engined version, so a difficult question to answer. For what it's worth you will be running at a 96% towing limit, so it really depends on your towing experience. I would guess you will have to work the gearbox to keep to a decent pace, and you will have to keep a wary eye on your user payload. Personally I would prefer not to get above 90% towing limit, but that is just me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no experience of towing with the 1.6 Sportage, I much prefer the diesel engined version, so a difficult question to answer. For what it's worth you will be running at a 96% towing limit, so it really depends on your towing experience. I would guess you will have to work the gearbox to keep to a decent pace, and you will have to keep a wary eye on your user payload. Personally I would prefer not to get above 90% towing limit, but that is just me.
Thanks for the reply. I have towed before a long while ago and nothing at big as this new one. So my understanding is, it is legal to tow, but not recommended? Was thinking if I distributed the weight enough I would be ok?

Super Moderator
You are correct, it would be legal to tow, it's whether you would feel safe and confident towing that combination.

Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
Well, the Kia brochure I downloaded before I bought my 2019 1.6T-gdi DCT 4 says the Gross vehicle weight is 2200kg, Kerb weight 1637, Gross train weight 3800, Maximum braked trailer weight 1600, Maximum tow ball weight 100, so if you are concerned about towing, get the caravan loaded as you would normally do and get the car & 'van weighed. You need a hitch weigh too - very important not to exceed the recommended hitch weight as that can really cause issues with steering/handling if it's too much.I haven't towed my 1997 Coachman Laser 590/4 (NOT fully loaded) as it's on a permanent pitch now, but I've towed a 1500kg boat/trailer without issue when lightly loaded. It tows lovely, just keep to speed limits or less if it's windy.
A 4wd or AWD can actually tow higher than it's own weight, but don't exceed max train weight in case you get pulled as it'll be a big fine.
There's also the issue of when you passed your driving test - before or after 1st January 1997 - as to whether you can tow at all. https://assets.publishing.service.g...ents-for-towing-trailers-in-great-britain.pdf
These are a good read too.

Take care and enjoy your car and trailer, whatever they are.

Super Moderator
Maybe you would like some other opinions. Caravan Talk is a caravan and motorhome forum which has a large number of knowledgable members, it may be worth having a look on there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts