Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after not getting any reply from someone advertising in this forum with a tow bar for sale, I bought a new one from PFJones on ebay.I went for the Witter detachable towbar for a Kia Sportage 2010 onwards.
I bought a Sportage loom electrical kit with it also, as well as an adapter, because I decided to fit the 13-pin socket for future proofing.
Here's the kit

The cost was:

Towbar: £176.07
Electrics: £187.01
Adapter: £19.45

Total: £382.53

The quotes I got from local companies, were around £520.00 +VAT (£624.00) (without adapter)

Having now fitted this, I can honestly say, if I could afford it next time, I'll get one of them to do it.
But, as cost was an issue for me, paying £260.92 for fitting was not going to happen.

Anyway, I started it yesterday (Friday) after work, and worked until the light faded.
I managed to get the physical towbar fitter and started the electrics.
I started on it again this morning about 09:30 and had it all finished and put back together by around 14:00.

I took some pictures on the way...
The instructions were just in pictures, (no words!)

The above picture is of the car chassis, showing the factory ready securing points, the 3 holes in plain view are on the bottom, and you can just make out one of the two on the side.

This is identical on the other side of the car also.
With the car having been painted with tar, it has the bonus of making the bolts fairly stiff when inserting, therefore making them lock tight.

This is one of the two angled brackets which fits to the chassis of the car, and what the tow bar is secured to.

This is after the physical towbar is fitted. (before the electrics were started).
The camera was at floor level and as you can see, not much is actually visible, and it's probably not noticed, if it's not known it was there.

On the inside of the car, you have to remove the items described in the pictures on the fitting instructions. They include:

* The black plastic protection strip across the botton of the boot entrance.
* The near side rear lower black panel, not forgetting to unplug the 12v socket and the light.
* The small single back of the seat.
* The whole of the bottom seat. (Don't forget to unplug the car seat heaters).
* The rear & front bottom door sils (near side).
The cable for the battery comes along this route and does not need to be strapped underneath the car.
I took the glove box out, because it's only held in with a couple of pins, and it made it much easier.

The cable loom comes with the in and out plugs in place.
All you need to do, is unplug the rear lights and plug them into the cable loom and then plug the new loom into the light fittings.

New cable loom has already been fitted from the towbar, through the flooring of the boot space.
It already comes with the rubber spacers to fill the holes you've put the new loom in.

Just one point! they supply a blue cable to connect to what they list as a red cable, amongst the Kia fitted loom, but I used the red cable supplying the reversing lamps. I tested this with a volt meter, and putting the car in and out of reverse.

All I need now, is my caravan, to see if this all works.

I didn't forget to order the spare number plate

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well done! looks like a huge job... since the Sportage is fairly likely to be used as a towcar, why don't Kia just provide a socket to plug the electrics into? I'm about to have a towbar fitted to my cee'd Sportswagon, and these pics worry me...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Great job,

I had my towbar fitted at the import center. I have pulled both a Caravan and a small trailor and both are easy to tow with.

I have also fitted the spare wheel with foam and cut out some storage for my detachable towbar etc, you should be able to find some pics, if not I could find the link if asked.

Happy Towing

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just purched a seconhand 2012 kia sportage and as you did purchased a detachable tow ball and fitted the tow bar. the tow bar was fitted by my soninlaw and we purchsed a dedicated wiring system spent a full day trying to workout what goes wear, as you have done we have managed to take the plastic covers on the nearside of the car off but don't feel confident to do the wiring, I have an auto electricion coming tomorrow to do the wiring,have tried to print your photos off the site but was unable to do so is there any way I could get your instuctions and photos to me by e mail. address 2email removed"

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm glad I don't live in Suffolk. Lowest quote locally (just outside Edinburgh) is £250 for flange type bar with single electrics. One of the biggest fitters in Scotland quoted £250 + vat for a swan neck with single electrics. I can get a detachable with double electrics and a connection to the Sportage TAS system for just under £500. All fully fitted with electrics.

I'm probably going for the swan neck since I tow a lightweight (under 900 Kg) van and have an existing blade stabiliser. I have also used teh company before and know they are reliable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm glad I don't live in Suffolk. Lowest quote locally (just outside Edinburgh) is £250 for flange type bar with single electrics. One of the biggest fitters in Scotland quoted £250 + vat for a swan neck with single electrics. I can get a detachable with double electrics and a connection to the Sportage TAS system for just under £500. All fully fitted with electrics.

I'm probably going for the swan neck since I tow a lightweight (under 900 Kg) van and have an existing blade stabiliser. I have also used teh company before and know they are reliable.
Hi. I'm in Glasgow. How gave you the 250 quite?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts