Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My KIA (ex-demo) had a towbar fitted by the dealer, however only has the normal 7 pin wiring plug. My caravan needs the additional electrics but I have been quoted a lot to add the 12s plug.
Has anyone added one themselves or have suggestions for getting one fitted?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
m623d said:
I fitted one myself to my (ex) 2006 (old shape)piece of cake.
buy a kit off fleabay
Thanks for that. The garage said the high cost was due to having to tap the battery directly and run the cable through the entire car. Is there an easy way to run the cable?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi.My 2001 Sedona 2.9tdi. From engine through bulk head, there is a 'spare' hole and gasket. To the passenger side. Pull the carpet back, unsrew the plastic cill cover to front and middle sliding door. Pull carpet up. There is plenty of space to run the cable then. Unsrew the base of the plastic wall cover next to rear seat (cup holder, flip top compartment ect) Pull out the flip top compartment and you can feed the cable to the back corner, again through a pull off panel, where rear washer bottle ect is. Then pop out the cover around the back door floor latch and unscrew therear plastic plate and there you are.......I hope this gives an idea of ease.Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
35 Posts
To get power directly from the battery to the towbar 7 way relay i just installed I followed the route of the cable that had been installed by someone before i purchased the car for the 12 S socket.

From the battery via a fuse the cable was run around the wing side of the air filter and down the passenger side of the bulkhead inside the engine bay. It then runs underneath the car roughly following the route of the brake pipes. From there it runs through a hole into the jack compartment.

I found it easier running the new cable to remove the rear light which gives a nice easy route behind the bumper up into the back of the light where it can enter the jack compartment alongside the light wiring.

Cheers

Sam

·
Registered
43 Posts
It would be better to feed it into the car through a bulkhead grommet. that way it is protected from the elements and is less likely to be damaged.Many towbar fitters will scotch locke it straight to a permanent live inside the car. I wouldn't recommend this as the new cable you'll be using is mucch thicker than anything already fitted to the car.

a ring terminal can be securely fixed to the battery lead terminal.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Underneath I wire large passenger vehicles like Sam did, theres nothing wrong with it as long as the cables have been secured properly (and not to the exhaust pipe
) The two heavy duty wires that carry the charging circuit and the feed to the fridge have to be line fused, furthermore, the current to these need to be switched when the engine is off - otherwise the inevitable will happen.

For anybody who is interested, the relay for these two wires can be switched from the rear cigar lighter (one drawback with this method is, the current will pass with ignition on, with or without engine running. But it's neater and better than tapping into the charging light circuit.)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I did mine stevegx's way, I used a voltage sensing relay that I already had, so just a perm live and an earth, no switch wire, the engine has to be running and producing 13.2V (IIRC) to click in

1 - 9 of 9 Posts