Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister in law has a Sedonna, and she has asked me to investigate fitting a towbar to it, for towing a caravan. After reading a few things in various places, I am a bit confused.

The way I see it, upto 06, you can fit a towbar with standard electric packs (spliced into car wiring loom), but from 06 on you need to buy a dedicated wiring kit (plus into the car wiring loom) because the lights are on a can bus system.

But some internet towbar sellers are throwing in free electric packs with 06 on kits(basic kits that are spliced into the cars loom), well if the car is an 06 it surely needs to be a dedicated kit.

Can someone please tell me if i am right or wong, and explain what is needed for pre 06 models and post 06 models for towing a caravan.

When i spoke to her this afternoon. i forgot to ask what year the car is, but, when i speak to her tomorrow i will find out.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you ever get thtis sorted simes? If not, if the car is post '06 and has the CAN-BUS wiring protocol, then it needs a vehicle-specific wiring kit, which is unfotunately the expensive one! The advantage for fitting is that it should just plug in so it's a biot more straight forward, but DO NOT use a universal kit which splices in, as this will cause you problems on the systems you've spliced into.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts