Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
The KIA one is made by Witter. It's dead easy to fit.

You will also need an electrics kit. I'd recommend the genuine KIA 13 pin kit. However, fitting it isn't for the feint hearted!

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
454 Posts
Had mine fitted by the dealer, its witter detachable flange type with 13 pin kia electrics and the kia supplementery wiring kit, it wasn't cheap but took them about 6 hrs to fit, mainly due to fitting the electrics according to the technician.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
What does the supplementary wiring kit actually do? I ordered both the main wiring kit and the supplementary kit but the dealer rang up and said the latter was no longer available and had beensupersededby another kit costing three times as much. I said no thanks and just bought the main kit.

I fitted it on its own andended up with full 13 pin electrics.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I was told it was extra relays and wiresor whatever to run the caravan fridge and for split charging caravan battery when towing, I wasbelieve you only need it if towing a caravan and wanted the above functions and it was also something to do with the 13 pin plug as opposed to the old 12n and 12s sockets, its was an independant towbar fitting companythat told me this when I was trawling round for advice and pricesnot the kia dealership that supplied and fitted mine.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Thanks, that is what I assumed it did when I was buying the bits. However, as I found out, the basic kit does all that too.

Curious.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Maybe KCS could shed some light on what exactly the supplimentary wiring kit did befor it was replaced

·
Registered
844 Posts
Got mine fitted by 13 pin by dealer when I bought k3 real nice job and have only reversed up to my caravan so far to test electrics all working fine. Going to tow next month, notice tyre pressurerecommendedfor fully loaded is 38 psi so will update after i try it

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
OK, I've had a chance to check mine. I fitted the 13 pin Kia kit without the supplementary wiring kit.

All pins are connected except pin 12 (not used anyway) and pin 10 which is the ignition switched 12v supply to the caravan. There is a permanent supply (pin 9.) The odd thing is that number 10 is incorporated into the loom and it is not obvious where the supplementary kit would plug in to feed it.

On mine there is no power going to the fog lamp (pin 2) either. However, I'm sure that is a fault, nothing to do with not having the supplementary kit. Needs sorting out though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.